Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 09:37 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,570,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
What is funny, is that this would start a massive racial thread on this forum if someone was complaining of being called the N word, and you told them to "get over it"

The "N" word against the word "cracker". Theres no comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:39 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
That's in YOUR book.....in a lot of people's minds they are identical in insult.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:40 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
[quote=TriMT7;10257225]
Quote:
Even the "N" word has context and intent. To deny that is just plain wrong.
I don't deny it.....but no matter what the intent or context may be, there is nothing positive about it, no matter who uses it.

Quote:
Same thing with blacks using the word.
See above.

Quote:
It's just like "f - g" or "*****" when referring to homosexuals. In some contexts and intents, it's not considered wrong or offensive. In others, it is.
It's always wrong, and it's always offensive.

Quote:
You're right, in terms of Latin America (even in Brazil all foreigners are considered Gringos, no matter what the race). BUT, in America, when a Mexican calls you a "gringo," it typically refers to non-Hispanic whites.

Many white people will jokingly refer to themselves as "gringos" when interacting with Mexicans. Have you EVER heard of a black guy in America calling himself a "gringo?"
I have heard of it....and I have been called one (even though I am half Latino).

Old 08-13-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
That's in YOUR book.....in a lot of people's minds they are identical in insult.
Lots of people think the Earth is flat, that Obama is a Kenyan-born Muslim terrorist, and that Rush Limbaugh is not a bombastic, lying drug addict.

Doesn't mean it's true.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Appear key word, no ones excusing.
Do I believe the OPs been called a cracker 50 times, no, I'm sorry I don't.
Does cracker have derogatory meaning, yes, most likely does.
Is it right to have a double standard, no.
Is it right to call posters racist bc they'd rather joke at it than take it
to heart, no.
That is why I used "appear". *chuckle*

It all depends. Keep in mind that while you may see this as you explained and had no intentions of a double standard, others may have resulting in many jokes from different people, yet the intentions behind those jokes being drastically different between them.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,551,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
I was called a "cracker" today for about the fiftieth time since I moved to South Florida 20 years ago.

Is that just another word for "honky"? Am I supposed to be upset and want to fight when I hear it directed at me.

I guess I'm just not up on the whole street slang thing.
http://cookienut.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/ernie-keebler.jpg (broken link)
EXCELLENT QUESTION, MY BOY!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:48 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Lots of people think the Earth is flat, that Obama is a Kenyan-born Muslim terrorist, and that Rush Limbaugh is not a bombastic, lying drug addict.

Doesn't mean it's true.
True.

But as far as both words being of equal insult, anyone can experiment for themselves and see if what I say is true.

You can come to a hillbilly area such as I live in and call some big ol' redneck that you do not know a "cracker"...then go to the southside of Chicago and call some big black guy the "N" word and see what happens in both cases.....the end result will be the same in both instances and there will be crying at your house that night.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
So why is one less racist than the other?

See, first you respond to me with a claim that you are not setting a double standard, not attempting to justify, or lessen the severity of the offense with joking and disregard. Then... you attempt to compare the words essentially lessening one over the other.

If a black man yells cracker at a white man in hate

And

A white man yells the "N" word at a black man in hate.

Which is more racist?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Nah my feelings would be the same if he'd been black and said "I've been called a jigaboo for the 50th time. Is that just another word for "N!gg@"? Am I supposed to be upset and want to fight when I hear it directed at me."

Some people are stupid. They call other people names. You can get upset if you want to. You can want to fight when you hear it directed at you. But then you will be just as stupid as the person who called you that in the first place.

But that's just me.
At least you are consistent, if only more people could be consistent as such in issues similar to this.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
True.

But as far as both words being of equal insult anyone can experiment for themselves and see if what I say is true.

You can come to a hillbilly area such as I live in and call some big ol' redneck that you do not know a "cracker"...then go to the southside of Chicago and call some big black guy the "N" word and see what happens in both cases.....the end result will be the same in both instances and there will be crying at your house that night.
Well, I understand that there might be white people who get as riled up by one word as black folk would be by another.......but the fact remains that if there are other whites who are either unaware of the connotation of "cracker" or dismissive of it, as if it has no impact on them, than the insults are certainly not equal. One word was directed at a protected, dominant class by a subordinate, oppressed one. The other was used to dehumanize one class, to reduce them to something rather than someone. There is not one black person in this society who does not understand that. The insults are not equal.

BTW, you don't ever have to worry about me going anywhere near a hillbilly area.............but if I called a big black guy from Chicago (which is what I am btw) the N word, he might be peeved, but the reaction would be different if a white person did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies