Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Eating Meat Products and Wearing Fur Inhuman and should it be stopped?
Yes - eating meat and wear fur is inhumane and should be stopped 3 5.36%
No - neither practice is inhumane. Animals were put on earth for these purposes 29 51.79%
Divided - Eating Meat is fine - Wearing Furs should be stopped 22 39.29%
Undecided at this time 2 3.57%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:43 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
LOL

Actually, I heard the thing you related about Dogs being used.

There is a Fur Dealer we know and I took the jacket to him - he looked at it and confirmed it was mink - a good quality pelt too.

I must admit it did "scare" me til I had it confirmed.
Why did it scare you? Because of what you paid for it? If you're willing to wear an animal skin, and it's soft and pretty, what difference does the species make?

Old 11-10-2009, 02:48 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
But the main reason is for it's fur, which I object to.
But nothing is going to waste...

Old 11-10-2009, 02:50 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Hunted - tracked - then shot.

If the shot was not "clean", you track the deer (usually by a blood trail), then take another shot to kill the deer
I hope you ate it.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:52 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Heart shot, don't you mean?
A headshot is better (quicker death) but presents a smaller target and higher risk of missing. So I don't generally do headshots. In fact, poachers here prefer .22's and headshots because it drops them quickly. So a centerfire cartridge from a legit. hunter is obviously that much better...

Old 11-10-2009, 03:01 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
You can't get B-12 from plants. Vegans have to take supplements to get it, so a vegan diet alone isn't nutritionally sound.
That's not true.

Plants do not MAKE B-12, bacteria does, so plants in soil containing that bacteria DO provide B-12.

Also, ANIMALS do not make B-12, either.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I see most people think eating meat is ok.

However, some are opposed to wearing fur. I see no problem with either, you're going to kill animals anyway.
The point isn't whether or not the animal dies, it is about HOW they are killed, and how they are TREATED prior to death.

For those people saying humans, like other animals, are "meant" to eat meat, l have a question: When is the last time you saw a wild animal torture its prey for months or years before consuming it?

Old 11-10-2009, 03:05 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
I eat meat. I even shoot some of the meat I eat.

Ive been known to trap a racoon just to sell its pelt.

I like meat. i like fur coats. Even coats made out of those baby seals they bash in the head with a stick.

I also squash roaches for no reason other than they are in my line of sight. Ive been known to use a magnifying glass to burn ants too.

sue me.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:10 PM

507 posts, read 678,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't think 17th st. is talking about the actual process of killing, skinning, and cutting up an animal. that's always gonna be gross. but the methods of killing and the manner in which the animals live is a lot grosser and more cruel in factory farms than it is in smaller farms.
I'm usually not grossed out by stuff, and I have a high tolerance for gore, but I literally could not watch that movie. The stuff that was happening at those farms was just nasty, cruel, and vile. It was almost like the people working there had forgotten that they were handling living animals. I think it's completely unnecessary to throw, violently kick, or stump on a live chicken just to out of a pen. I also think it's totally unacceptable for any living creature to take nearly 30 minutes to die while suspended in air, upside down, moaning, and covered in it's own blood. Like I said earlier, I don't have a problem with people eating meat, but think some of the methods used in the larger factories are just horrible. Even in in factory farming people need to remember they are dealing with living creatures, and they need to show some respect for the life they are taking.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
There were NO dogs on the streets of South Korea when I was stationed there.... but that was years ago...

I was there for a year and NEVER saw one dog....we were warned to not eat off base because of it, that and other things...LOL

My Air Force friends adopted a Jindo that was a stray in Korea.

Poor thing is still afraid of their barbecue grill out back...

And people say animals don't have feelings.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
But nothing is going to waste...
Waste is not the main point.

I already posted the main point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
[cut]

Regarding fur: that, I AM adamantly against. (No, I'm not a member of PETA - their tactics are ineffective and they regularly shoot their own credibility in the foot).

Reason: The commonly accepted method of killing - because it is the least expensive way to kill an animal while preserving its fur - is anal or genital electrocution. The animals are fully conscious for this.

States are beginning to introduce legislation that would ban this practice.

In addition, animals in fur factories - much like factory farms - spend their entire lives cramped in tiny cages. All their natural instincts—running, digging, mating, socializing and hunting—are stifled, and they are turned into fur-producing (or food-producing) machines.

So yes, I urge everyone to avoid fur products, AND faux fur - because if the value of animal fur on an object is low enough, producers are not required to label it, meaning that you may unwittingly be wearing dog fur. Yes, cheap, imported DOG fur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies