Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,105 times

Advertisements

I posted several sourced facts just one page ago regarding plans from THIS YEAR to allow over half of the undergrads to accept reduced tuition and fees due to income levels.

These facts were convienetly ignored so a select few can continue their partisan rhetoric.

Are any of you interested in facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
I posted several sourced facts just one page ago regarding plans from THIS YEAR to allow over half of the undergrads to accept reduced tuition and fees due to income levels.

These facts were convienetly ignored so a select few can continue their partisan rhetoric.

Are any of you interested in facts?
I read it, thanks for the link. It was from Jan 09 and the proposal hadn't been approved by the Regents at the time of the article. I will look to see if they approved it. I do know that several students who normally get their tuition covered by grants were hit with a bill right before classes started for the amount the grant no longer covered (in one students case, almost $1000 which for a student who isn't getting family help, this is a high bill). The budget issues also changed quit a bit between Jan 09 and the present.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:35 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Who's left to foot the bill? ......Cause they've all left...."fleeing"!

My my wingers can be drama queens.
You need a little dose of reality. Wisconsin has the exact same problem...

"Wisconsin had one of the five worst migration patterns in the United States from 2000 to 2006. Higher income individuals left Wisconsin. Individuals on the lowest rung of the economic ladder migrated to Wisconsin."

State of Wisconsin still a welfare magnet:
WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL

Consequently, Wisconsin is one of the ten states in imminent economic peril.
Ten most troubled states in the U.S. - Nov. 11, 2009

Old 11-20-2009, 11:37 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't understand what voting for Obama has to do with a hike in tuition rates.
It's easy, Obama voters want things for free, they are finding out that NOTHING is free. They vote for someone who they KNOW will raise taxes and spend into oblivion, but then get themselves into a tizzy when prices and taxes go up.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Here's a radical proposal for many parents who use the public school system: Why don't they take the money that they save on their child's education expenses and apply that towards a college savings account for their child so their child would not be forced to take out costly loans, etc? It may take a little sacrifice but isn't their child's education worth it?
This is part of the problem today. Parents should NOT be footing the bill for their kids education. The kids need to earn it by getting scholarships or if they can't do that, then pay for it. By just handing them an education doesn't teach them a thing about responsibility, all you're doing is reinforcing the fact that things will be automatically handed to them. Now after stating this, there is nothing wrong with "helping" them out some, but not footing the entire bill.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
These kids do have an alternative..go to community college for 2 years while working P/T and save money. If you're past the first two years, then take a year off to work and save money and then go back.

Or..go to school part time while working.

Not getting "free money" seems to be some people's only out. When given lemons..go make lemonade. Those that really want to get that education will find a way.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:55 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
This is part of the problem today. Parents should NOT be footing the bill for their kids education. The kids need to earn it by getting scholarships or if they can't do that, then pay for it. By just handing them an education doesn't teach them a thing about responsibility, all you're doing is reinforcing the fact that things will be automatically handed to them. Now after stating this, there is nothing wrong with "helping" them out some, but not footing the entire bill.
Even with scholarships and part-time jobs, colleges and universities are out of reach financially for many students (including myself when I was in college) due to the rising costs in education. The fees charged by my state university when I graduated was DOUBLE the amount they were when I began college. If students were forced to be responsible for the entire cost of their education when they leave high school, we will have very few students going to college today. I'm not saying that they should not work or strive for scholarships, but that isn't enough to pay the education bill so let's be real here.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Even with scholarships and part-time jobs, colleges and universities are out of reach financially for many students (including myself when I was in college) due to the rising costs in education. The fees charged by my state university when I graduated was DOUBLE the amount they were when I began college. If students were forced to be responsible for the entire cost of their education when they leave high school, we will have very few students going to college today. I'm not saying that they should not work or strive for scholarships, but that isn't enough to pay the education bill so let's be real here.
There needs to be another way. Having it paid for them is what caused the downfall of morality and created a me me me generation who is lazy as shyt.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:07 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
There needs to be another way. Having it paid for them is what caused the downfall of morality and created a me me me generation who is lazy as shyt.
What about students in the past? Didn't parents always foot the bill for their child's college education 30-40 years ago as most college students then were traditional students that did not work while in college? The whole concept of students working while going to school part-time is more of a recent phenomenon of these past few decades.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
What about students in the past? Didn't parents always foot the bill for their child's college education 30-40 years ago as most college students then were traditional students that did not work while in college? The whole concept of students working while going to school part-time is more of a recent phenomenon of these past few decades.
Well the current "parent" generation are boomers..you know the materialistic ones.

The previous generation before them were savers. The boomers may have had their education paid for by their "saver" parents.

Who really knows..me..my parents were "savers" but I told them to keep their money. I joined the military for 8 years and used the GI bill to go to school when I got out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies