Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,344,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
No the whites in Dallas go to school at Jesuit, Hockaday, Highland Park ISD, Cistercian, Urseline, Trinity Valley Christian, St. Marks and surrounding white suburban ISD's.

Only 5% of Dallas ISD is white....while the white population is around 35%

Yes in CA it was defeated........barely. ...............In Texas, it was an uncontroversial slam dunk.
Not only that, Preston Hollow Elementary School, a shool in an upscale community in Dallas segregated its white students from its Hispanic and Black students. What is sad is this school was open about it and it was just seen as a normal thing.

News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/111806dnmetprestonhollow.31e7a33.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,965,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
'Booklearnin don't make a smart man' so are you another one of these individuals who doesn't emphasize formal education? The OP is from your area and he made these claims. So because he disagrees with you now he is suddenly not from your area.
It should be obvious that formal education isn't the only criteria for determining a person's intelligence. Diplomas don't make a person smarter, they only show the world that a person completed a course of study.

If someone demonstrates abilities that I don't have, I respect their "smarts" in that particular field.

Everyone is an expert at something. The friend I have that is a builder knows things about building a home that another friend who is an architect doesn't know. But the architect knows things the builder doesn't know. The farmer knows things a doctor doesn't know. And the doctor knows things the farmer doesn't know. Knowledge is not limited to what you can learn in the classroom. And truly smart people know this.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It should be obvious that formal education isn't the only criteria for determining a person's intelligence. Diplomas don't make a person smarter, they only show the world that a person completed a course of study.

If someone demonstrates abilities that I don't have, I respect their "smarts" in that particular field.

Everyone is an expert at something. The friend I have that is a builder knows things about building a home that another friend who is an architect doesn't know. But the architect knows things the builder doesn't know. The farmer knows things a doctor doesn't know. And the doctor knows things the farmer doesn't know. Knowledge is not limited to what you can learn in the classroom. And truly smart people know this.
Whether someone attains a formal education is one thing but the point of the discussion is that a formal education is not emphasized and seen as something that one should attain in the South and Rural areas. That type of thinking is what his hurting white culture and this country. And even farmers can attain a college education that can help them.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:56 AM

374 posts, read 814,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
[parody title]

Seriously how do you white rural Southern boys think you helping yourselves out? ( I'm a white southern boy myself from a rural town)

[ Fair warning: I'm going to generalize here]

You think it's a bad thing have an advanced education. You mock scientists. You cheer on any War they tell you is needed. You try and legislate morality. You try and push your religion into public schools and court houses. You bad mouth unions that have given this country the "weekend" and "overtime pay".
You're against raising the minimum wage so a man who wants to work can earn a living for his family. You're against healthcare for those less fortunate than yourselves. You actually whine when the rich must pay more of a share in taxes.

I now live in in a wealthy neighborhood and exclusive school district in the South. Do you think it's your type that is running the show here? Hardly.

Asians and Jews and transplants from the Coasts are on the rise here. They respect teachers, they value scientists, they know how important is is to have marketable skills. They don't push their religion on others. The unionized pilots here make very sure their careers and incomes are secure for their families sake. The Asian Doctors send their kids to advanced tutoring while your spending your money on a new "wave runner" or Z71.

You're killing us................You should travel to Europe and see how white boys are supposed to act......hint: They use their brains!

Judging from your gramatical errors, maybe you should spend some of your time and money on going to "advanced tutoring" and stop posting ludicrous, poorly articulated, white-guilt nonsense based soley on stereotypes circulated by vindictive northerners and self-hating southerners. I am a cattle rancher from rural Arkansas, as were my ancestors for six generations, and I can assure you that I am perfectly literate. As for learning about the tolerance of Europe and learning about how "white boys are supposed to act" I suppose you mean the legacies of the Holocaust, the Spanish Inquisition, and African slavery. Perhaps you should think a little bit before posting material so ignorant and clearly confrontational. This post is about as intelligent as "why are Asians bad drivers?" or "why are Jews greedy?"

Old 11-23-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
Judging from your gramatical errors, maybe you should spend some of your time and money on going to "advanced tutoring" and stop posting ludicrous, poorly articulated, white-guilt nonsense based soley on stereotypes circulated by vindictive northerners and self-hating southerners. I am a cattle rancher from rural Arkansas, as were my ancestors for six generations, and I can assure you that I am perfectly literate. As for learning about the tolerance of Europe and learning about how "white boys are supposed to act" I suppose you mean the legacies of the Holocaust, the Spanish Inquisition, and African slavery. Perhaps you should think a little bit before posting material so ignorant and clearly confrontational. This post is about as intelligent as "why are Asians bad drivers?" or "why are Jews greedy?"
If Southerners agree with the OP and acknowledge these problems like the deemphasis of a formal education then they are "self-hating"? Wow, so your own constituents are not allowed to disagree with you without earning a label such as "self-hating?" And before you question the intelligence of others by raising historical events, perhaps you should spend some time reinvestigating Southern slavery. I think it's clear the OP was discussing modern times and not referring to events that occurred hundreds of years ago.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:08 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,965,797 times
Quote:
Whether someone attains a formal education is one thing but the point of the discussion is that a formal education is not emphasized and seen as something that one should attain in the South and Rural areas. That type of thinking is what his hurting white culture.
Formal education costs money. Perhaps rural people who earn substantially less than urban populations don't emphasize formal education because they see it as out of reach except for the most gifted among them. And perhaps, they don't emphasize it because formal education doesn't have much relevance to their day-to-day lives.

You seem to think that not being familiar with Chaucer or Proust somehow damages white culture. It does not. White culture that appreciates only formal education is just as damaging as white culture that fails to appreciate advanced education. Frequently, I hear people bemoan the lack of culture in Arkansas. There isn't a lack of culture, though. There is artistry that goes into making quilts, and pottery, and other crafts. There is rich tradition in the story-telling and music of the South. Some of the greatest and most innovative aspects of American culture have their roots in Southern culture.

I love museums, and have visited many of the finest art museums in the country. I visited the Met and heard my first opera when I was six years old. I was reading Shakespeare in second grade. And I think for me the whole discussion of culture is about opening doors. It's about different perspectives, and about finding the commonalities while exploring the differences. Loving Mozart does not mean that I cannot love folk music. Loving Edward Hopper only makes me appreciate the clean lines and simplicity of quilt-making. Loving Shakespeare lets me hear the same rhythms, and identify the same themes in the story-tellers that gather at Mountain Home.

It seems as well that my ability to write and to express myself was not the result of a formal education. It was enhanced by the opening of doors that is the goal of a liberal education. I share that gift with others, and hope they appreciate it as much as I appreciate the heating and air repairman who knew how to fix my furnace when it went out during a cold snap last December. Education is valued by every person I know, Southerner and Northerner alike, but education is not an end in and of itself. It's what you do with that education that makes it meaningful. If all you do is use your diplomas to make you feel superior to others, then you haven't used your education to much purpose. If your education makes you appreciate all the more the contributions of every person around you, if it allows you to listen a little more carefully to the people you seem to disagree with, if it allows you to withhold judgment until you actually know something about the person you are judging, then maybe your education is serving you.

Last edited by DC at the Ridge; 11-23-2009 at 10:32 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,744,773 times
Working in the trades doesn't require a college education, but pays well.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:24 AM

374 posts, read 814,604 times
Self-hating Southerners are to the South what "Uncle Toms" are to African-Americans. They participate in the demonization of the South as a medieval, barbaric, cultural landfill populated by racist "rednecks," "hillbillies," or whatever ethnic slur you want to use for poor, rural whites. They are ashamed of their regional culture and heritage, and even their accents. Is there a problem with the lack of formal education in the South? Certainly. Poverty? Of course. But these issues stem from regional economic problems, like the rural South's primarily agrarian-based society, and dramatic historical events which completely devestated the region, such as the Civil War and the Great Depression. That's why states like Arkansas and Mississippi are the poorest in the nation, not simply because their citizens are "backward," "lazy," or "stupid." Is it more rational to blame the South's problems on the perceived stupidity of its population, or the Northern domination of the region since Reconstruction? The OP was just perpetuating vengeful stereotypes. This post was complete garbage.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Working in the trades doesn't require a college education, but pays well.
Which brings to mind one of my favorite quotes of all time:

Strange as it may seem, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it.
-- Stephen Vizinczey

Old 11-23-2009, 10:43 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,109,116 times
Quote:
Whether someone attains a formal education is one thing but the point of the discussion is that a formal education is not emphasized and seen as something that one should attain in the South and Rural areas. That type of thinking is what his hurting white culture and this country. And even farmers can attain a college education that can help them.

To be honest, although I am a college grad myself, someone could go to the library and study and read on a variety of subjects and become smarter than many college grads without even taking one official college course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies