Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 07:56 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
But 10 years ago when Realtors with a high school diploma were making 200K a year no one complained about the 50K that federal employees were making.

Now the economy is down and people are crying about a 2% raise? That probably won't even cover the increase in the cost of their health insurance.
the 2% raise was years ago. this is a very old thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:57 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Most pampered.
Yeah, during the fat years, I believe feds were underpaid by 15% or so.

Oh please.
I noticed how you also pulled up a thread that would have the emotional impact of 2% when the FACT is that a proposed .5%, after 3 years of no raises is the topic.

Your article says nothing about the dems always increasing the proposal.
What are you trying to pull here?

Somewhat disingenuous, wouldn't you say?
These ARE the fat years for federal employees!
What are you talking about???

Federal workers have never been UNDERPAID.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:00 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
I think I split from the majority of the right on this issue. Federal workers do not make much money and that's always been a pretty well known statistic. I don't begrudge them this small raise.

Do I think that there should be significantly less Federal workers? Yes. Do I think that we should make all Federal workers villians because of the failings of Congress and the Administration in controlling spending? No.

With the type of engineering and technical work that I do, I've interfaced with government workers on occasion. It's like anywhere else. There's good and bad workers. But I don't think they should be made the villian here. Just my two cents.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:01 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

Yeah, whatever.
You can pull and provide some stats that professionals working for the feds make more than counterparts on the outside, right?

I can wait.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post

I know for the type of work I do, I could never afford to live on a Federal worker's salary. They make a TON less than the average going rate in my field. Shoot, I think my entry level hires make more than their senior guys. Perhaps it just depends on the type of job with respect to salary disparity?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:08 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,548,448 times
The demonization of Federal Employees is utterly ridiculous

Demonize Congress all you want but the vast majority of Federal workers are just like you and me in the private sector. They work hard and try to make whatever they are doing a successful venture.

Blaming your Postman because the USPS can't seem to get their financial house in order is ridiculous. I know a lot of postal workers, they work hard, they do their jobs well, they support their families, and they certainly have NOTHING to do with the red ink on the books.

This whole thread is ridiculous.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
The demonization of Federal Employees is utterly ridiculous

Demonize Congress all you want but the vast majority of Federal workers are just like you and me in the private sector. They work hard and try to make whatever they are doing a successful venture.

Blaming your Postman because the USPS can't seem to get their financial house in order is ridiculous. I know a lot of postal workers, they work hard, they do their jobs well, they support their families, and they certainly have NOTHING to do with the red ink on the books.

This whole thread is ridiculous.
And resurrected with the 2% in the title, knowing it was utter hogwash.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, whatever.
You can pull and provide some stats that professionals working for the feds make more than counterparts on the outside, right?

I can wait.
Translation: Please do the work for me...after all, I am a federal employee.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times
Evil federal worker here - IHS nurse working in rural areas, providing nursing care to underserved natives. Yep, I'm the debil in disguise.

Nice necroposting.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Evil federal worker here - IHS nurse working in rural areas, providing nursing care to underserved natives. Yep, I'm the debil in disguise.

Nice necroposting.
A private industry nurse is an impossible concept, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies