Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times

Advertisements

they just passed the Cloture vote in the Senate 60-40 so it's basically a done deal. The party of NO continues it's obstructionist ways!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:35 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times
somebody just gave me a rep point instead of correcting me in a post for using "it's" instead of "its"! I know the difference but it's late and this is City Data not an English exam capiche? Thanks for the rep point though!

Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 PM

6,812 posts, read 9,363,742 times
oh well, i'm still hoping this thing ultimately fails in conference. these people have the chance to come up with meaningful reform.. but instead we get garbage, complete with payoffs for nebraska and louisiana! (and what, massachusetts and vermont, too?)

Old 12-21-2009, 12:57 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I suspect when you graduate and get away from the influence of left leaning professors and start working for big business and pay taxes you will become more conservative.

Good luck on your exams.
Can't tell you how many college liberals I know/knew turned conservative the second they got a job and saw how much in taxes was sucked out of their paycheck.

Last edited by stan4; 12-21-2009 at 01:31 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
somebody just gave me a rep point instead of correcting me in a post for using "it's" instead of "its"! I know the difference but it's late and this is City Data not an English exam capiche? Thanks for the rep point though!
Ugh. No matter how late it is or where you are, proper grammar is a sign of class, distinction, and education. I personally loathe it when people go to town on the apostrophes (apostrophe's!) and can't get its/it's, their/there, and your/you're right. Kind of kills your point right off the bat and destroys your credibility.

But it's kind of awesome you got a rep point.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:58 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Can't tell you how many college liberals I know/knew turned conservative the second they got a job and saw how much in taxes was sucked out of their paycheck.
That does happen quite often. I am fortunate to have been a conservative all my life... even in my teens.

Then there is that old saying: "A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged."

Old 12-21-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That does happen quite often. I am fortunate to have been a conservative all my life... even in my teens.

Then there is that old saying: "A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged."
Me, too.

There's a saying that if you are a republican before the age of 18, you have no heart. And if you're a democrat after the age of 30, you have no brains.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:39 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
My point is if everyone only got insurance when they got sick insurance would be very expensive.

Yes I am comparing health insurance to car insurance, they are both insurances. Everyone intuitvely knows why you need car insurance before you get into an accident but common sense flys out the window when it comes to health insurance.

What would you think of your family buying life insurance for you after you are dead? It makes no sense, neither does buying health insurance after you have become sick.

I have no idea how to deal with theses people but it is not as clear cut as you seem to think.

Maybe if more people had health insurance...............they wouldn't get sick in the first place.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Maybe if more people had health insurance...............they wouldn't get sick in the first place.
How does that even make sense?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:54 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Honestly, I do not know if I am for or not for this health care bill. I see where it may be needed but I don't know about the government providing it.

But I do feel we need reform for sure. I hate the whole "pre existing condition" thing.
The government is providing health care directly.
The government is providing insurance companies lots of taxpayer dollars, which is ONE reason why I am very much against this health care bill.

We need single-payer, not this bailout for health insurance companies and Big Pharma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies