Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,349,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
What in the world does one have to do with the other?
Empirical evidence (9 kids, no consistent partner, no job, no money) leads one to believe that the lady lacks the higher order thinking skills that would enable her to read carefully or follow directions. There is the real possibility that she was given a consent form but did not bother to read it carefully, or did not follow the directions to sign in the correct place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,349,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Right... you're all for personal freedom, just not some people's. Would you rather she have had abortions? Be honest now.
Yes

Old 01-07-2010, 01:42 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,258,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Empirical evidence (9 kids, no consistent partner, no job, no money) leads one to believe that the lady lacks the higher order thinking skills that would enable her to read carefully or follow directions. There is the real possibility that she was given a consent form but did not bother to read it carefully, or did not follow the directions to sign in the correct place.
I don't think I'd go that far. That's like saying that all poor people and their children are stupid. Some people are very intelligent but make bad choices.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:44 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
"unauthorized lobotomy".........LOL

None of us want a lobotomy.......authorized or unauthorized.
I wonder if you get an AUTHORIZED lobotomy if you can sue later because you didn't have the mental capacity to determine that you were making an unsound decision. How could they prove you were smart before?

Deep questions.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:45 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
There are only four kids in the picture, but it looks as if they ate the other five.

Oh, this thread is just feeding my mean side today.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:47 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,221,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Who said it was a mistake on the part of the doctor/hospital? For all we know she wanted the tubal ligation and is now exploiting the fact that the hospital can't find her consent form. Speculation is grand.
Well, the FACT is that a lawsuit has been filed. THERE WILL BE COSTS ASSOCIATED with the defense in that. ATTORNEYS will have to be paid. Medical malpractice insurance will kick in. Therefore, costs go up REGARDLESS of the outcome. Of course, if the doctors and hospital lose this case or settle this case, the amount of money paid out by the medical malpractice insurance company could be quite large in addition to LEGAL FEES.

The case is ALREADY a lawsuit. Legal costs ARE BEING INCURRED right now. Doesn't matter what the outcome of the case is ultimately, there are costs associated with LITIGATION. If the docs and hospital go to trial and LOSE the case, the award could be quite large. On the other hand, if the jury selected in this case is as baised as most of the folks posting here, maybe they won't really listen to the facts nor will they really follow the judge's instructions and they will decide the case based on whatever information they can hear about the woman's "character" and MAYBE the defendants will luck out and the jury will award the woman One Dollar. HOWEVER, the insurance company will have to pay LEGAL FEES. Are the costs associate with medical care and the amount insurance companies pay out somehow connected to the amount of money we are charged for our private insurance?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:58 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,221,409 times
Quote:
Ray, a consent form is most likely a legal document. The people who are obtaining the signature on a legal document have a responsibility to make sure that the person signs in the correct place.....or in ALL the correct places......if they want the protection that legal document affords them. If that hospital was so poorly run that they just basically dropped off that form and left their responsibilities up to that woman, then they most definitely deserve whatever they get. I'm sure that their medical malpractice carrier would not look kindly upon that kind of procedure and irresponsibility by hospital personnel.

Also, IF the woman lacked the higher order thinking skills that would enable her to read carefully or follow directions, then that too would benefit her in this situation. If you do not have the capacity to understand what you are signing when you give consent for surgery, then you cannot possibly be responsible for that decision. Even in criminal cases, defendants with low IQ, learning disabilities, etc., cannot waive their miranda rights unless those rights have been thoroughly explained to them in a way that they understand what is meant.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:58 PM

41 posts, read 53,988 times
This woman has been sitting on her butt for 21 years now, making sure that she always has one below the legal age to go to school . This is an old welfare ploy and I saw it many many times when my father made housecalls.

Maybe there cannot be a sterilisation done, but there should be a limit of one or two children for welfare benefits. Several of her children are not with her but I do not know the issues. However, 8 different fathers? I read the article and she was whining, "I take care of my kids". No you may have physical custody of some of them, but it is the TAXPAYER who has fed, clothed and housed them."
Why is this person not REQUIRED to get job training and once the youngest is in school, she MUST get a job or lose benefits. Hmm. A job. Now that would, I imagine, be a novel experience for her. 35 years old and never worked a day in her life. She should be ashamed.

She may have a case. I'm not a legal expert, but if she does and she wins, every penny should be paid back to social services. Then she can go get a job like most single mothers are forced to do--or are willing because they weren't taught to sponge off the welfare teat. She's not sick. I've taken care of non-HL patients and none of them looked hale and hearty the way she does. Nor if she had chemo would she be having healthy baby after healthy baby.

I think a lot of the talk on here is frustration with a system that will not provide when working and working poor need help, but sit on your rear and whelp a gaggle of bastards and the state will give you everything you want/need. This has to stop.

Last edited by Lights; 01-07-2010 at 02:14 PM..

Old 01-07-2010, 01:59 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,921,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't think I'd go that far. That's like saying that all poor people and their children are stupid. Some people are very intelligent but make bad choices.
No way do I think that poor people are less intelligent than those with more means. BUT...

Having 9 children (wanting to keep the door open to have more) when you are on disability for a serious illness, only have custody of 2 of your children, and no means to ever support these kids on her own, yes, I do think there is something wrong with her thinking. It isn't unusual to make a mistake or two in your life and then learn from them. She either is a slow learner or doesn't think about how she is going to take care of her kids once they are born. I am not a parent but I have heard they are expensive and only get more so as they get older.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,228,919 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
she quit school at 14 when she had the first kid, IIRC. I don't think it is a stretch the think that maybe she didn't know what she was signing, if she did sign something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies