Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:11 PM

293 posts, read 570,408 times

Advertisements

The President of the United States during the State of the Union is allowed to tell the American People and the Congress what direction he or she would like the country to follow in this address. Because of the Separation of Powers the Congress does not have to follow if it does not see fit. Because the President felt that the Court's decision would hurt our election system he could voice those concerns. However, as I said, Congress does not have to do anything about it and allow the Court's ruling the last word on the issue. This is the greatness of our system of government.

Justice Alito's response was totally unprofessional. As a member of the Bar our judges are supposed to be impartial all the way. If I am arguing a point to the jury and the Judge is shaking his head in disagreement as I speak I am demanding a mistrial and appealing if I am denied. The fact that Alito shook his head in disagreement as the President spoke did break his stance of impartiality. He knows better. This issue is bigger than Republican or Democrat. I have colleagues on both sides of the isle who agree 100%. The other "conservative" members of the court did not move or show any agreement of disagreement one way or the other. This is an issue of professionalism and Justice Alito showed none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 01:14 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times
Not at all. I personally disagree with many Supreme Court decisions (including Roe v Wade and I am pro-choice to a limited extent) but to criticize a SC decision at the time and place he chose to do so, when no SC justice has the opportunity for rebuttal, is what is out of line. It was IMO disrespectful.

It is unknown whether Justice Alito actually said those words aloud or only mouthed them to himself. It should be obvious to all that he was not trying to draw attention to himself or to openly challenge Obama, as Joe Wilson did.

(I am not going to get into an abortion debate. My opinion is that abortion is a Tenth Amendment issue and any laws governing it should be at the state level, as it was before 1973.)

Old 01-29-2010, 01:15 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones 1999 View Post
The President of the United States during the State of the Union is allowed to tell the American People and the Congress what direction he or she would like the country to follow in this address. Because of the Separation of Powers the Congress does not have to follow if it does not see fit. Because the President felt that the Court's decision would hurt our election system he could voice those concerns. However, as I said, Congress does not have to do anything about it and allow the Court's ruling the last word on the issue. This is the greatness of our system of government.

Justice Alito's response was totally unprofessional. As a member of the Bar our judges are supposed to be impartial all the way. If I am arguing a point to the jury and the Judge is shaking his head in disagreement as I speak I am demanding a mistrial and appealing if I am denied. The fact that Alito shook his head in disagreement as the President spoke did break his stance of impartiality. He knows better. This issue is bigger than Republican or Democrat. I have colleagues on both sides of the isle who agree 100%. The other "conservative" members of the court did not move or show any agreement of disagreement one way or the other. This is an issue of professionalism and Justice Alito showed none.
And I would argue you are right "in a courtroom"

This was not in a court room. This was the state of the union address. AND The Obama, Harvard Law, misrepresented the decision. The Obama, Harvard Law, stuck his little toe accross the line that seperates powers.

If Mr. Alito was out of line (and I do not agree that he was), then Mr. Alito simply rose to Mr. Obama, Harvard Law"s level.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
And yes, forgive me for going to lunch. No need to be a pompous arse here...

I went to lunch too.

I was not referring to your absence. I was referring to your earlier argument that taking issue with Obama by the plebs was out of line because he got himself a law degree from harvard.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:23 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,291,928 times
Quote:

Question though.... What kind of "impartiality" is Alito expected to have. We know EXACTLY where he stands on the matter as he was one of the five who made the decision...

He was invited and called out to his face basically. Frankly I don't deny the man the chance to have a slight reaction. He quietly defended himself and if a camera hadn't been trained on him we'd be none the wiser...

While I vehemently disagree with Alito's decision in this case, I can't fault him here.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I went to lunch too.

I was not referring to your absence. I was referring to your earlier argument that taking issue with Obama by the plebs was out of line because he got himself a law degree from harvard.
LOL!!! Okay.. I suppose you're allowed to eat too..

Dude, we're all plebes here. Just take exception to someone here suggesting that Obama is somehow unaware of Constitutional Law...

Old 01-29-2010, 01:26 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,824,789 times
Quote:

What a great post! Did Alito forget he was appointed and anointed by a Republican prez? His political views now should be kept to himself.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
LOL!!! Okay.. I suppose you're allowed to eat too..

Dude, we're all plebes here. Just take exception to someone here suggesting that Obama is somehow unaware of Constitutional Law...
Common Ground! I would agree with you that Mr. Obama is at least peripherally aware of constitutional law! LOL!

However, his grasp of the subject does not preclude me from disagreeing with him on the subject. And I am not a constitutional law authority.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM

301 posts, read 282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Obama lied.

It is against the law for a foreign company to contribute to any political person.

He does not even know the law?????

Whether they can hide it or not is not the point, the face that Obama lied in his own speech or did not know the law is the point.

What a lawyer he is, he did not even research the law before looking like a total fool.

Obama owes them an apology and has NO RIGHT to question their decision.

I believe their decision was the correct one, but Obama lied to us and then did one of the most un-classy things I have ever seen by attacking them for making a decision.

What the libs and Obama cannot stand is they were not bought off or scared into making the decision Obama wanted. That is totally it.

Obama could not hang with Alito. He might as well apologize and stop being such a d-i-c-k crybaby when things do not go his way.
A President of the United States has "NO RIGHT" to question or criticize a United States Supreme Court decision? So what about Roe v. Wade? Did you *suddenly* forget about previous Presidents who criticized that decision, or perhaps you never knew about that because you maybe didn't learn a lot about civics and U.S. History? Did you or have you ever attended and completed any school, college, or university in the United States?

Last edited by Clockworking; 01-29-2010 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
What a great post! Did Alito forget he was appointed and anointed by a Republican prez? His political views now should be kept to himself.
Well THIS really gets down to the nitty-gritty though regarding the role of the Supreme Court.

As far as I'm concerned, Alito had BETTER forget what party appointed him as much as I would hope that Sotomayor would forget what party appointed her.

It SHOULD be entirely irrelevent to thier decisions, and yes, thier political views SHOULD be kept to themselves. Is it naive to think that they do this? Perhaps, but nevertheless...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies