Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:03 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When we had the draft, you saw pride in the nation.

That has been lost.

What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:04 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I ask this question cuz it appears ,today,the only ones who admitted they were protesting back in the 60's add--" but I supported the troops back then"

What happened to the vast majority of the Vietnam war protestors who sure as heck showed no support for the troops?

Have they died off?
Selective memory?

Or are they ashamed to admit their behavior ?
I never protested, I served, my ex-brother in-law did protest after he came back from his third tour doing LRPs, several purple hearts along with a silver star, he is still proud he protested and is not ashamed to tell anyone interested. So, they are still around and I seriously doubt any of them are ashamed, since after all they were right to be against the war.
Casper

Old 02-14-2010, 12:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
No, they haven't died. They are in academia, government and other liberal international institutions, like the UN, IPCC, Greenpeace.

They are in congress as well.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:07 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
More generalizations, there were plenty of places that Vietnam Vets were abused...
Once here and very occasionally there, and usually with some cocky damned RA type expecting to be taken as all that. Otherwise document it. The protesters and those vets who had beat them back home were about the only support group most guys had. Nobody else understood...

And those last three words are happening again today for the guys (and girls this time) coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan. Many of them want and need to talk. If only somebody would actually listen..

Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Some of them like Kerry who called US troops a bunch of rapist and murders in congressional hearing are in the senate.But then he alos called Saddam the most dangerous threat to world peace and advocated regime change by any means before desseert storm. Just as Oabma voted aginst the iraq surge;lsaid it would work after voting no and now is doing a surge in afganistan.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:56 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You mean like Cheney with five deferments or Bush who had his Dad write a letter to get him out?
No, I think he meant the current VP, Joe Biden, who utilized student deferments.

Or BO who never spent a day in the US military.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I ask this question cuz it appears ,today,the only ones who admitted they were protesting back in the 60's add--" but I supported the troops back then"

What happened to the vast majority of the Vietnam war protestors who sure as heck showed no support for the troops?

Have they died off?
Selective memory?

Or are they ashamed to admit their behavior ?
No, many of them have just grown up....I know a few as a matter of fact.

Nita

Old 02-14-2010, 01:17 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,529,180 times
The Vietnam War was wrong. Simply put, we lost and what is the outcome - we have friendly relations with Vietnam with increasing trade and tourism. The Communist Vietnamese govt. is the govt that stopped the genocide in Cambodia by the Khmer Rouge, not us, and they support us in our relations with China.

The returning soilders were treated shabbily not only by the protesters, but by the American people and the American govt. who ignored their needs and service. It is those who supported the War but treated the returning troops so poorly and still do that should hang their heads in shame.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
I was recently shocked to hear my father, a Navy vet ('68-'75) who flew in Vietnam, say that any US military member today who signs-up and fights in Iraq is nothing short of a heartless mercenary who deserves not support, but rather scorn.
As an American and a patriot I can't believe anyone would make such a statement. I may not always agree with what is going on, I might have mixed feelings, but to say a young person who is willing to sacrifice his or her life for our country should be scorned is a shame.

Nita

Old 02-14-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Suicide rates among soldiers TODAY is at a 30 year high. Mental Illness among soldiers TODAY is at 18 Percent.
But that is not where the similarity between Iraq, Afghanistan and Vietnam ends. These are wars of choice by our Government.

When my father served in Vietnam we had the draft.
If we had the draft TODAY and 58,000 plus of our fellow citizens were being killed in a far away land - I would hope you would see protests in the masses

There is/was no shame in protesting war that violates Just War Principles. I would thank them today, as I did when I was a little girl.

Please donate to:
Vietnam Veterans of America
Suicide is at an all time high period, why? who knows? maybe it is because we no longer hide the truth..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies