Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 02:44 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
That's not debatable it either happened or it didn't. In this case it didn't
You mean it didn't happen to you, because it did happen to guys I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 02:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As an American and a patriot I can't believe anyone would make such a statement. I may not always agree with what is going on, I might have mixed feelings, but to say a young person who is willing to sacrifice his or her life for our country should be scorned is a shame.

Nita
You don't get to say what a patriot is, it's the word for scoundrel these days.
You also don't get to say what an American is. We are all different.
Most of these kids aren't willing to sacrifice their lives, they're looking for a job and skills.
Want to know how many get out as soon as they can after going to the sandbox? A whole slew of them; no one told them the truth of what it's like to be at war and have to kill or be killed.

No war is honorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Suicide is at an all time high period, why? who knows? maybe it is because we no longer hide the truth..

Nita
It's because these kids aren't made for this war.
Look up the number of suicides a year, over 200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Well to you it may be a lie, but to others it is very debatable.
Facts cannot be debatable.

Quote:
How about some links? News stories?
I saw one supposed case. Nothing else can be verified. After the war a lot of people started making bogus claims.
Anecdote does not equal data.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-14-2010 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 02:58 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,171,333 times
Quote:
Let me guess it happened to your sisters cousin's husband's brother's girlfriend's neighbour's mom. That about right.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:13 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
It happened to a friend of his, but it never happened to him

Does it really matter if one spit on one, or who called who what? The fact is we had the draft. And even though 75 percent volunteered, there were another 25 percent that were drafted. According to Wiki, there were also 500,000 draft offenders. Probably the most infamous Protestor was Jane Fonda. I don't think she can apologize enough in her life time. But many protested because they had a DRAFT number that just had not been called yet.

We don't have the draft now. But they certainly closed most all loop holes that were present during Vietnam era.

If they bring back the draft and we are involved in a war -
many will protest. After all, anyone serving in our wars are someone's daughter, son, father or mother. Their loss is 100 percent. We should at least do something.

I'm grateful to those protestors back then. Folks have to quit giving the government free reign with our military. Voluntary or otherwise.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
No one can state unequivocally that no war protester ever spat on a Vietnam veteran (or vice versa). However, no investigator has ever been able to confirm even a single actual incident of this type. There are some individual accounts that can't be disproved either, but none that has ever been proved. The idea that such events were even remotely routine or commonplace is simply bunk.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:27 PM

Take your best guesses. My lotto numer IS 36. Sorry but I don't have a site, and if i did I wouldn't say this there. I am 58 years old you should be able to figure alot out with that much info. The last thing you need is san diego.

At the time I seem to recall baby killer being used, and a few other words, that somehow made me want to stay killing and or just go back, and you want to start this up now?

Who the hell is anyone here to judge anyway? That much I learned a long time ago, and I do not take other people choices.

These days anyone with a arm chair, is some how also a Judge.

Somehow I don't think anyone would really want to show up at my place and see whats what either. I might be 58, but I actively winter camp in the white mts of New Hampshire. Mostly I am forgetting those days. Most of the time I deny most anything from those days.

I would not advise spitting on anyone left from those days, but you can do as you please with jane.

Now I suppose the next thing anyone wants is name rank and serial number. Ok but you go first.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:45 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
There may be no evidence of an organized war protester spitting on anybody, but I know (second hand of course) there were cases when an individual person disrespected, spit at, called a soldier names, or treated a soldier rudely - when a soldier was in uniform, returning home after Vietnam. It was an unpopular war. I'm sure many folks did and said things back then we can never prove.

To me, the spitting and name calling folk lore/or not - does nothing more, than to try to reduce the "REAL" impact Protestors had - Ending The War.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:29 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Soldiers were flying all over the place in those days. Every airport was full of them. How would anyone even know which one or ones were returning from Viet Nam? As I said, they came home in one's and two's. Some in uniform, some not. No waving flags. No marching bands. No nothing. You just got off the plane. That was it...

Old 02-14-2010, 04:39 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Progressives know no shame. Shame requires a conscience.

And just WHAT does support for an asinine, ill-advised, useless war of choice like Vietnam require?

Old 02-14-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
There may be no evidence of an organized war protester spitting on anybody, but I know (second hand of course) there were cases when an individual person disrespected, spit at, called a soldier names, or treated a soldier rudely - when a soldier was in uniform, returning home after Vietnam. It was an unpopular war. I'm sure many folks did and said things back then we can never prove.

To me, the spitting and name calling folk lore/or not - does nothing more, than to try to reduce the "REAL" impact Protestors had - Ending The War.
Thank you.

My son will not wear his dress uniform to travel right now, but that hair cut gives what he is away. Today that hair cut blends better than it did in my day. Think about that a few seconds. My son and your sons are targets in this country for no more than wearing a uniform.

I will post pics of me from time to time, but never of my son.

Just because something doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it never happened to anyone else.

I am doing my best to be a nice guy over all on this site, but it is getting to be a lot harder.

I don't live like most peple and don't want to. I prefer being secluded and away from most other people. I like mini farming and making things with my hands.

I find meeting new people nice on line, and often times meet them face to face after I know everyone is safe and sane.

The next time my hair gets cut God will be the one doing it.

modern day 1 year ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies