Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:54 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Be clear -- not everyone who fought in Vietnam was drafted. Many, many enlisted.

There were some who were less that civil to military personnel, but the politicians were scorned. Johnson knew he wouldn't be reelected and it was because of Vietnam.
Ah! thanks for clearing that up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 09:20 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I ask this question cuz it appears ,today,the only ones who admitted they were protesting back in the 60's add--" but I supported the troops back then"

What happened to the vast majority of the Vietnam war protestors who sure as heck showed no support for the troops?

Have they died off?
Selective memory?

Or are they ashamed to admit their behavior ?
Their parents finally cut them off and they had to get jobs. After a bit of exposure to the real world they became yuppies.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:25 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
They aren't sacrificing anything for our country. They are sacrificing (as well as killing) for the collection of goons and thugs in Washington. And yes, anyone that gullible deserves scorn.

Since I am the OP, your post answered my question of---"did they die" ?

No, they are alive and well and posting under the name of--djacques.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
I ask this question cuz it appears ,today,the only ones who admitted they were protesting back in the 60's add--" but I supported the troops back then"

What happened to the vast majority of the Vietnam war protestors who sure as heck showed no support for the troops?

Have they died off?
Selective memory?

Did Jon Carry die? He is still sitting in the Senate, isn't he? How about Obama's favorite buddy in Chicago who is such a power in public education? You know the one who used bombs to convince people that we needed to get out of Vietnam but said he didn't bomb enough buildings?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:31 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Johnson knew he wouldn't be reelected and it was because of Vietnam.
Not exactly. LBJ won the New Hampshire primary by 49 percent (all by write ins). LBJ's announcement in 1968, not to seek reelection, came as a surprise. Many say, he would have beat Nixon if he had run.
Part of LBJ's reason not to seek re-election was a fear he had that he would die at age 64, just as his father and grandfather did. LBJ felt he would not live through a second term. LBJ died at the age of 64 in 1973 of his third heart attack.
LBJ died January 22, 1973 - Almost to the date that would have been his last days of a 2nd term. The Paris Peace Accords took effect on January 27, 1973.
After LBJ's announcement in 1968 not to run, it was 5 years, and 33,000 more dead US soldiers, before the Vietnam War came to an end - under Nixon.

Last edited by pollyrobin; 02-14-2010 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
I was faced with the draft back in 1968. I thought about joining but some of my friends who did told me stories about how unfair they were treated in boot camp that I decided to try and avoid the draft and did. I know friends who paid the ultimate price in viet nam but until this day I cant figure out just what it was they "bought"....same with the troops in Iraq ..What is they have bought? Dont insult me by saying they have bought my security.......they have not and cant as long as we continue with the wide open borders....There could be 100,000 sleeper terrorist here and we wouldnt know it. No one seems to care just who has come across our borders.no enough to do something about it that is..I do respect any soldier for being a soldier however.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:35 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:

Have they died off?
Selective memory?

Most anti vietnam protesters were protesting against the government policies in Vietnam as they had the authority to bring the troops home or lengthen the war over there, and their anger was directed to the government then.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:45 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Most anti vietnam protesters were protesting against the government policies in Vietnam as they had the authority to bring the troops home or lengthen the war over there, and their anger was directed to the government then.

That might be the "pc" stance today--" anger directed to the government then"-------but that anger was also directed at the troops then.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
They probably realized that their great victories of getting the US out of that war was cheered for about 5 seconds before getting involved in another conflict. Then a dozen more conflicts in the the several decades after words. After a little while of spending all day, day after day, getting angry and screaming in protests instead of working and actually having money....decided to settle down and move on with their lives.

I don't blame people for it, I think it's the better way to handle things.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Since I am the OP, your post answered my question of---"did they die" ?

No, they are alive and well and posting under the name of--djacques.
I wasn't alive during the Vietnam war, but aside from that--you're right. I really don't give a goddamn about the troops. I wish they'd never come home, to be quite honest. We have enough rednecks and ghetto trash as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies