Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 11:27 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,345,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
What happened to the vast majority of the Vietnam war protestors who sure as heck showed no support for the troops?

Have they died off?
Selective memory?
The country has been painted with a thick coat of apathy and laziness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 02:29 AM

418 posts, read 487,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I wasn't alive during the Vietnam war, but aside from that--you're right. I really don't give a goddamn about the troops. I wish they'd never come home, to be quite honest. We have enough rednecks and ghetto trash as it is.
hahaha so true. If it weren't for these robots, there wouldn't actually be a war. How can I feel sorry for someone who went on another man's soil, pissed on his sovereignty and was the aggressor?!

We've been attached a handful of time by "terrorists," but for all the **** we've done, we really had it coming. Hell, if soldiers were doing such a good job, why couldn't they handle a few guys with box cutters? With that kind of track record, I'd rather not have their help.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:56 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Can't handle the truth eh? Maybe a big fattie is in order ]You were in Vietnam, you'd know a lot more about that than me' quoting movies is a great way to start an argument, you saw what happened to him, too..

Oh is this yet another trial? Do you have any idea what the lotto was? Do you have any idea what the word 'orders' mean, and what happens if you don't follow them?
Yeah, dude, I'm a vet. Duh. Funny how lots of other people didn't go. You made a choice.

Do you really think 18 to 20 year old kids have any idea what the CONS is and means?

Just exactly how many of you friends have died in your arms? How many names do you know on the WALL? More than enough names, but that doesn't make me special. It doesn't make you special either. It just means that we know people who died in yet another senseless war. Those protestors got you out of your little hell before the government would have on its own. You should be thanking them.

Tell me what I should think when I was holding a door and was kicked by a woman whom I held the door for in the friggin airport?
Do you know why? Maybe her loved one was just killed for a senseless war. Might have been your attitude.

I almost wish you were here so I could really use my 1st Right. I have no idea what you think you know as well as a few others.Are you threatening me?
Bring it on, it's easy to be a hero behind a keyboard.

I see right now i should have remained silent, so the lies you love could prevail.
What lies? I was in and have worked with the military for decades.

Who here is fit to Judge? You seem to be doing a great enough job here for all of us. You came here to start an argument. Looks like you got what you came for.

No maybe I should be upset since it was my friend, the ones who we all watched each others backs that aren't here to speak for themselves.

The one who shot a women thru the head for a pot belly pig... then cried about it later. You simply have no idea. So he killed someone for what reason? A pig? Murderer's remorse.

I am off of this thread. It is way to upsetting.You're the one who started it.

I suggest you get a 'mother's helper' and listen to Richie Havens. I prefer Country Joe & the Fish.
Country Joe

What?
So you entered this thread to be a troll.
We get it.

You're the one who started casting dispersion on others.
Not the other way around.

BTW, I'm a vet from the vietnam war.
As a woman, I wasn't sent there; so lighten up with the rhetoric.
You're not the only one who lost people and you might want to remember the VVAW.
I work on an Army base now, don't tell me what I know and don't know.

You know, I remember my neighbor being turned down for his third voluntary tour in the jungle.
They said that if people were willing to go back more than twice, they should be turned down.
Seriously, how many of us talk about our grade school experiences, either.
That was over 40 years ago.
You might want to look at the protesters for WWII and WWI while you're researching.

Might I suggest you read the TOS before spewing your garbage.

To the OP, where were you during Viet Nam?
Looks like a lot of false bravado to me.

Last edited by chielgirl; 02-15-2010 at 03:24 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
As someone who wasn't alive at that time, I've always been baffled at why people would scorn soldiers who were drafted into a war that they didn't want to be in. Why weren't they scorning the politicians??
Because only 25% were drafted.
Because we watched the names and photos of our loved ones and our youth on the news every night.
Because we shouldn't have been in Nam, Cambodia or Laos.
I still see the aftermath of our involvement in my travels.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:39 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
Quote:
I ask this question cuz it appears ,today,the only ones who admitted they were protesting back in the 60's add--" but I supported the troops back then"

What happened to the vast majority of the Vietnam war protestors who sure as heck showed no support for the troops?

Have they died off?
Selective memory?

Or are they ashamed to admit their behavior ?
Had I been old enough to protest against the Vietnam war, I would have. That war was totally wrong. Protesting the war was not a protest against our troops.

Otherwise, I find that there is a lot of irony in this thread. There are still a lot of Vietnam War vets alive and they still have PTSD and other mental issues that our government has refused to recognized. And these vets with their mental issues, drug and alcohol related issues and physical ailments from that war make up a good part of our homeless population. So for those who are still ranting against the Vietnam War protesters, where are you in terms of protesting FOR the adequate care of our Vietnam War vets???

I know several people that were in the army during the Vietnam War era and one woman worked as a counselor with Vietnam Vets, and they feel the war was wrong. Then I know several people whose families had to deal with the aftermath and craziness of family members that were in that war. Their loved ones who were vets had severe mental and addiction issues that continued for decades and the rest of their lives. The protesters were not the cause of their problems, being deployed in Vietnam was.

War is ugly and should never happen. I was and am against the US fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and it's not because I am not patriotic. And I also know young people that are only in the military because they had no other career opportunities and those signup and deployment bonuses were so alluring.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
That might be the "pc" stance today--" anger directed to the government then"-------but that anger was also directed at the troops then.

It was directed at selected troops, like the lying POS William Westmoreland.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I wasn't alive during the Vietnam war, but aside from that--you're right. I really don't give a goddamn about the troops. I wish they'd never come home, to be quite honest. We have enough rednecks and ghetto trash as it is.

I've agreed with a number of your posts in the past, this isn't one of them.

Many fighting today joined in peace time, they're doing a job they took an oath for and swore they would do. Many joined believing they were going after those who'd attacked their country.

I don't see how you can fault either motivation.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
I ask this question cuz it appears ,today,the only ones who admitted they were protesting back in the 60's add--" but I supported the troops back then"

Have they died off?
Selective memory?

Or are they ashamed to admit their behavior ?
The Vietnam war ended in the 1970s I'd be surprised to see anyone still protest it.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-15-2010 at 05:31 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've agreed with a number of your posts in the past, this isn't one of them.
Many fighting today joined in peace time, they're doing a job they took an oath for and swore they would do. Many joined believing they were going after those who'd attacked their country.
I don't see how you can fault either motivation.
Most of those currently joining are doing so because they have neither the skills nor abilities to get a job. Economics seems to be the biggest factor.

I get to hear the whining and shock from these guys when they come back from the sandbox.
What the heck did they think they'd be doing in the middle east in the middle of wars?

Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I was one, but like as said, in protest of the Fedral Govt, not my 54,000 brothers.

I am no more than a long hair country hick at 58 years now, but in these years, if there is one thing I came to know about man, it is the first man came out of the trees, and hit another man. The 2nd man struck back with a rock.

Ever since, man has only improved the stick and the rock.

Things are not any better. My generation sold out their pricipals, cut their hair, and became neo-cons. Many of them have raised the most helpless greed and gain children, the planet has even known.

That doesn't really matter, since we are as a whole world still in the act of improving the stick and the stone. It is the nature of man.

No, chielgirl, I came to say this and from thence to now you are the troll and baiting everyone. The 1st isn't much of a threat.

As to the rest for you, well Chairman Mao whould have liked you, no doubt about it. Here's a few nice quotes of his, maybe you can use them
Chairman Mao Zedong Quotes

DILIGAF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies