Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:15 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimfulDrifter View Post

A real-life example flew out of my radio this evening. Or, maybe it dripped. In a piece about new housing designs for older Americans with poor health, NPR correspondent Jennifer Ludden interviewed a man who lived in such a house:

"For Jim Waggoner, moving out of a nursing home and into his own house, at last, simply means freedom. It gives him 'the ability to do what I want, when I want and how I want — and not have somebody tell me that I can't do that, or can't do this,' he says.

It's a privilege millions of Americans don't want to lose just because they're old."

It's a ... PRIVILEGE????? Really??!!?? Wow, I thought older Americans had all of the same rights as anyone else, unless they signed away their power of attorney.
Uh, I'm pretty sure the man was referring to being able to live in his own home rather than a nursing home, which, for reasons that have nothing to do with the government, is a more controlled environment, due to technological and design advances, rather than some sort of nefarious conspiracy of government control being perpetrated via the airwaves of NPR.

So the 'privilege' he was referring to has nothing to do with his rights or some sort of plot by the government to curtail them, but everything to do with society becoming a better place through housing design for the ailing elderly.

Next time you should loosen up the tinfoil around your head when you turn on the radio.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:53 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 525600minutes View Post
I don't get this. I love NPR, but many of my conservative friends think that it is left biased. I am not naive enough to believe that media is always straight down the middle, but I don't find NPR being that partial. Heck, they are funded by the Cato Institute, which is a pro-capitalist, libertarian institution.

There news features seem pretty open to all interpretations, and how can their artistic programming (jazz programming, Thistle and Shamrock, etc.) even be considered political at all? Any thoughts?
Does Juan Williams work at NPR? If so I have to say that at least part of the time it is very liberally biased.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
I don't get this. I love NPR, but many of my conservative friends think that it is left biased. I am not naive enough to believe that media is always straight down the middle, but I don't find NPR being that partial. Heck, they are funded by the Cato Institute, which is a pro-capitalist, libertarian institution.

There news features seem pretty open to all interpretations, and how can their artistic programming (jazz programming, Thistle and Shamrock, etc.) even be considered political at all? Any thoughts?
Not hard to figure out. NPR pretty much tells the truth, Conservatives cannot stand the truth.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:55 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:

NPR can take a show about gardening, and insert their own liberal ideology and politics into it

Of course a show about music or another one with a guest veterinarian answering questions about pets, will not have a political viewpoint to them.

Here is why I see NPR as solidly left:

1) ninety percent of all the callers are libs

2) many of the hosts are libs

3) and many of the guests are libs. The generic guests who are supposedly unbiased, come from liberal organizations like the LA Times, New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe etc...

The most common phrase uttered on NPR is "Oh, I agree" where the host, guests and callers are all agreeing with each other's liberal views on the issues.

Just listen to NPR closely, the next time a topic is about political or social issues, and see how often the host challenges the assertions made by callers from the left and right. They always let the left make declarative statements and relate their facts without bothering to ask where they got them from, or ask them to offer some justification, but they always challenge the folks on the right to justify or clarify their assertions or facts.

Even the shows about specific topics, have lately decided the debate is over and the topic focuses only on the liberal viewpoint. for example, they no longer have shows discussing both sides of the man made global warming issue, they consider the debate over, and the shows just assume mankind is causing global warming, CO2 is the cause, the planet is in peril, and the conversation starts from there.

I remember a show about green energy and global warming, and midway thru the show a person called in dared to offer a challenge to the theory, by simply saying that maybe humans were not causing global warming. you could tell by the conciliatory tone in guy's voice, and the way he presented his question, that he knew he was going into the lion's den. He no more then got his question out of his mouth and both the guest and the host simultaneously jumped all over him, demanding he justify his outrageous views, and then the callers dumped all over him for the remainder of the show.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
NPR appeals to educated, rational people. They don't "dumb it down" to the level of the lowest intellectual common denominator, i.e., conservative talk radio.

Therefore they are slanted left in the minds of the gibbering extreme right wing baboons who think that anyone more educated than they are is "overeducated" and a communist as well.

Exhibit A: Sarah Palin, who has made idiocy patriotic.
I just learned again why I think that NPR is just a bit left leaning. When some people talk that way about Sarah Palin trying to prove that patriotic thinking is is idiotic I see some left leaning taking place.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Does Juan Williams work at NPR? If so I have to say that at least part of the time it is very liberally biased.
I respect Juan, he is his own man, speaks his own mind, and he does often challenge both sides on the issues, and there are other times where he seems to be very partisan, but i think that is the same with everyone.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Fox told them.
I guess you didn't know that Fox employs one of NPR's people. Juan Williams who is used as a liberal foil for Bill Kristol on Fox News Sunday and also appears on all kinds of shows on Fox News. If Juan isn't just a little bit liberal I think I have failed to understand what he is doing on Sunday morning.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I just learned again why I think that NPR is just a bit left leaning. When some people talk that way about Sarah Palin trying to prove that patriotic thinking is is idiotic I see some left leaning taking place.
When you listen to a show on NPR and callers or guests are making some pretty kooky lefty statements, and the hosts don't bother to challenge them, then you know the host is either very bad at their job, or they agree with the moonbats, and therefore see no reason to challenge them, or even ask them to clarify their viewpoints or statements a little.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:08 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,133,832 times
Quote:
I don't think you've learned anything.

And you once again dishonestly represented my position, which seems to be an epidemic problem on your side of this debate. I guess you don't have anything real to argue, so you have to resort to dishonesty.

I said Sarah Palin made idiocy patriotic.

You claimed I said that patriotism was idiocy, when I did no such thing.

Big difference.

Not very honest of you, old boy. Tsk tsk.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I respect Juan, he is his own man, speaks his own mind, and he does often challenge both sides on the issues, and there are other times where he seems to be very partisan, but i think that is the same with everyone.
Anywhere but the show I mentioned Williams may well sound as you say but he is so obviously the token lib on Fox News Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies