Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:23 PM

218 posts, read 207,669 times

Advertisements

Can anyone point specifically to NPR commentators or others on the staff of NPR who have gotten away with statements/views that were critical of Christianity or the Right and still works there? That is the inverse of Juan Williams experience concern Muslims.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:05 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
Why do many conservatives think NPR is left wing biased?

Gee, I can't imagine why....

NPR Admits It's Packed With Liberals.
Ira Glass: Journalism, in general, reporters tend to be Democrats and tend to be more liberal than the public as a whole, sure. But that doesn't change what is going out over the air. And I feel like, well, let's measure the product.

Outing the Liberal Democrats at NPR
Since NPR clearly has a liberal and biased agenda I believe it only fair they give back the millions the government gave them to start their business. You think that will happen?

Political Donations of NPR Board, NPR Foundation Officers Dramatically Lean Left to Democrats.
Danielle Kurtzleben at U.S. News & World Report crunched some numbers of federal campaign contributions and discovered that the NPR Board and the board of the NPR Foundation are -- surprise, surprise -- much more likely to donate to Democrats.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:37 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
Default Gee, I can't imagine why......

Our tax-dollars at work for this non-profit "news" organization-

NPR host steps down as husband joins Obama team
NPR host Michele Norris is temporarily stepping down from the afternoon news show "All Things Considered" because her husband has taken a senior role in President Barack Obama's re-election campaign.

NPR Fires Show Host for Organizing OWS Protests
NPR will no longer distribute the affiliate-produced program "World of Opera" to about 60 stations across the country because the show host helped organize an ongoing Washington protest, a network official said Friday evening.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 525600minutes View Post
I don't get this. I love NPR, but many of my conservative friends think that it is left biased. I am not naive enough to believe that media is always straight down the middle, but I don't find NPR being that partial. Heck, they are funded by the Cato Institute, which is a pro-capitalist, libertarian institution.

There news features seem pretty open to all interpretations, and how can their artistic programming (jazz programming, Thistle and Shamrock, etc.) even be considered political at all? Any thoughts?
Because NPR tells the truth and to a Conservative, the truth hurts!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:34 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
1) I agree about not funding NPR with tax dollars.
2) Most of their programming is non-political.
3) They are somewhat biased but not terrible. The worst I've personally heard is allowing some of the Hunter studies about Florida and Missouri insurance to be presented as fact and not rebutted. Both studies were horrible, one commissioned by Christ for political reasons and the other by the Lawyers bar trying to fight a tort-reform push.

Again, very little of their programming is politically oriented.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 PM

30,069 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
I don't get this. I love NPR, but many of my conservative friends think that it is left biased. I am not naive enough to believe that media is always straight down the middle, but I don't find NPR being that partial. Heck, they are funded by the Cato Institute, which is a pro-capitalist, libertarian institution.

There news features seem pretty open to all interpretations, and how can their artistic programming (jazz programming, Thistle and Shamrock, etc.) even be considered political at all? Any thoughts?

You are kidding, right?

Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
I wish there was a better way to fund them, but without government funding you'd just trade one form of bias for another - and it would have commercials, too.

Bias or not, I find NPR to be higher quality and more professional than the typical dumbed-down crap we see from the usual media outlets.

You can never escape bias, but at least you won't have to listen to idiots as long as NPR is around.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Our tax-dollars at work for this non-profit "news" organization-

NPR host steps down as husband joins Obama team
NPR host Michele Norris is temporarily stepping down from the afternoon news show "All Things Considered" because her husband has taken a senior role in President Barack Obama's re-election campaign.
NPR Fires Show Host for Organizing OWS Protests
NPR will no longer distribute the affiliate-produced program "World of Opera" to about 60 stations across the country because the show host helped organize an ongoing Washington protest, a network official said Friday evening.
So what's the problem?
In the first example, the NPR employee isn't working for the Obama campaign, however to stave off any impartiality questions, she's doing the ethical thing.

In the second example, they are disassociating themselves from a production (and a non-news or -opinion one at that) to again avoid any questions of impartiality. This is prudent.

I'd wish we'd see this level of impartiality and self-monitoring behaviour from the revolving door between Fox News and the GOP/Tea Party.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:04 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:

To answer your question: The only conservatives who think NPR is biased are the ones who are part of the Fox News cult and think anything other than Fox and Talk Radio are part of a communist anti-american agenda.

I'm liberal, and I listen to NPR because I'm actually informed instead of being spoonfed biased information. I'm pretty sure most of the journalists are liberal--as are most media figures. But I see nowhere near the bias that I see on cable news. I have no qualms about supporting NPR with my donations. I really think America would be worse off without NPR.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times

NPR Host Stepping Aside After Husband Goes to Work for Obama - Business - The Atlantic Wire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies