Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,370,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Probably the same damn thing. We practically invite them here with all the benefits they are afforded. We need to put an end to that to stop the incentive for them to come. Simply put, we cannot afford to take care of our own poor, let alone every other nation's poor too. It's not our fiduciary responsibility to do so.

If we could afford it, then who cares? I doubt anyone would. But we can't and you cannot argue with that fact. Illegals here taking and using our services takes away from that which we have to help our own. There is only so much money to go around. So, who do YOU help first? The american taxpayer or the illegal?
are you forgetting that they come here for jobs, not benefits? I do believe that employers should be (sucessfully) prohibited from hiring illegal workers, I do not believe in punishing those who a currently a vital part of our economy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,969,132 times
Quote:
That's such an old used-and-abused BS liberal left wing lie. Tax them at 100% and see if we can balance our budgets. Guess what... we still couldn't. We are in the hole for TRILLIONS with a T, not billions. How many trillionaires do you know living in this country or anywhere for that matter?
Even if there were such things as a trillionaire it certainly wouldn't be fair to seize their entire fortune, would it? Besides billionaires many of which have several to tens of billions there are scads of multi-millionaires of which many, many have multiple hundreds of millions. Taxed at no more or less than the general population on wealth in excess of 25M would barely slow their climb into the upper stratospheres of wealth. Instead that wealth remains parked. Idle. Static. What is your definition of 'waste'. Would we balance the budget this year? Probably not. Could we take a running start at some of the interest. Definitely. But this thread wasn't about the National Debt it was about ongoing aid to the needy. Republicans who are, by definition, largely above the fray are obssessed with the National Debt. Liberals who are, by definition, largely in the thick of things are obssessed with jobs and survival.

H

Old 03-16-2010, 01:28 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,347,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
are you forgetting that they come here for jobs, not benefits? I do believe that employers should be (sucessfully) prohibited from hiring illegal workers, I do not believe in punishing those who a currently a vital part of our economy!
Are you forgetting all of the pregnant women illegally crossing the border to have anchor babies? They aren't doing it for the jobs, they do it for the services their babies will be entitled to.

I agree, we need to crack down on employers who illegally hire people as well.

With regard to your last statement, I think many would disagree with our current rate of high unemployment. They are taking jobs away from americans.

Also, you never answered my question so I'll ask it for a third time... Who would you rather our tax dollar funded services go to, American citizens or illegals? I'm still waiting on your answer.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,758,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
This report just isn't complete without the usual chorus of leftist hysterics shouting how racist it all is.

---------------------------------

Report: One-fourth of welfare payments go to illegals - The Daily Breeze

Report: One-fourth of welfare payments go to illegals

From wire service reports
Posted: 03/10/2010 07:08:55 AM PST

Nearly one-quarter of state welfare payments and food stamps issued in Los Angeles County go to children whose parents are in the U.S. illegally, according to January figures released today. Supervisor Mike Antonovich offered the statistics, generated by the county's Department of Public Social Services, to help make the case for enforcing the nation's borders, establishing health care clinics on the border with Mexico and reimbursing local governments for unfunded state and federal mandates, according to his press deputy, Tony Bell.

(Full text of the article can be read at the above URL)
Sounds like Los Angeles County needs to get their act together.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,758,016 times
Quote:
Are you forgetting all of the pregnant women illegally crossing the border to have anchor babies? They aren't doing it for the jobs, they do it for the services their babies will be entitled to.

I agree, we need to crack down on employers who illegally hire people as well.

With regard to your last statement, I think many would disagree with our current rate of high unemployment. They are taking jobs away from americans.

Also, you never answered my question so I'll ask it for a third time... Who would you rather our tax dollar funded services go to, American citizens or illegals? I'm still waiting on your answer.

Without mandatory jail time for employers hiring illegals it is crap. It's been done here where I live. No excuses, someone is going to jail

Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,347,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Even if there were such things as a trillionaire it certainly wouldn't be fair to seize their entire fortune, would it?
Of course not. I was merely pointing out the idiocy of your statement:
Quote:
We can't afford it? The hell we can't. America has half the planets billionaires! There is nothing we can't afford. Nothing. Everything. Tax them. We're taxing them too much as it is? Nope. If we were, there wouldn't be 50 million new millionaire households in 2008!!!

H

Quote:
Besides billionaires many of which have several to tens of billions there are scads of multi-millionaires of which many, many have multiple hundreds of millions. Taxed at no more or less than the general population on wealth in excess of 25M would barely slow their climb into the upper stratospheres of wealth. Instead that wealth remains parked. Idle. Static. What is your definition of 'waste'. Would we balance the budget this year? Probably not. Could we take a running start at some of the interest. Definitely. But this thread wasn't about the National Debt it was about ongoing aid to the needy. Republicans who are, by definition, largely above the fray are obssessed with the National Debt. Liberals who are, by definition, largely in the thick of things are obssessed with jobs and survival.

H
Again, it was you who stated that there is nothing on this planet our country can't afford to pay for. What part of "Our country is broke" don't you get?

Old 03-16-2010, 01:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,696,030 times
Ah..but the children aren't illegal. They are citizen via the anchor baby rule and as such are entitled to all the social welfare benefits given all other US citizens. We pay and will continue to pay until they are 18 years old and then some.

And if you think it's just Mexico then think again. Pregnant women are coming from all over the world to have their babies here.

Get rid of the anchor baby rule and order will be restored.

To the illegals they are "jackpot" babies.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 PM

536 posts, read 415,768 times
HOW!? The 2 states my family has gotten help from the state in both have required SS cards for every person getting the help,BC for every person,DL for any adults. How in the world could they get it I mean if you are here illegally for 1. the bc would say you were born in a different country and 2. You can not get a SS card if you are illegall. Seems to me people in these areas are not doing their jobs correctly.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:10 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,809,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
HOW!? The 2 states my family has gotten help from the state in both have required SS cards for every person getting the help,BC for every person,DL for any adults. How in the world could they get it I mean if you are here illegally for 1. the bc would say you were born in a different country and 2. You can not get a SS card if you are illegall. Seems to me people in these areas are not doing their jobs correctly.
And we all know that people who willingly and grossly violate our immigration laws, would never think of obtaining false or fraudulent documents that mimic the ones you mentioned. Naaw, upstanding citizens like these??? What do you think they are, lawbreakers?

Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,969,132 times
Quote:
Of course not. I was merely pointing out the idiocy of your statement:
Again, it was you who stated that there is nothing on this planet our country can't afford to pay for. What part of "Our country is broke" don't you get?
I wonder who is the idiot. You, who it appears, does not have 6th grade reading comprehension or I who put my opinions out in plain English. I said we can afford everything and nothing at the same time. I get that some of us think we are broke but, as I said. In 2008 56 million households entered the ranks of the 1%. Possibly the worst year on record for a lot of things financial. In other words, not everyone is broke. There are by some estimates 10 Trillion in that 1%. This is a significant fraction of the planets wealth let alone the country's wealth. If we let our country devolve into Anarchy and Civil War and allow the 1% to flee the melee and settle comfortably into foreign encoddlement then it is and will be persons like yourself that are the idiots for letting them get away with it. And, btw, since we are talking about welfare, the total welfare roll in the entire country is about 1% of the population. The amount that 1/4 of that represents is so small in national budgetary comparisons as to be negligible. Our country faces real consequences related to national debt and lack of proper income distribution. These issues are stolidly ignored by the right who instead prefer to pick fights over hot button issues of higher visibility. I suppose I am an idiot for seeing thgough the shot clock timeout ploy.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies