Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:31 PM

638 posts, read 930,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Your points about womans rights and racially equality are correct but have ZERO to do with the facts the work force was no where near the efficiency when the able bodied men were in charge.

LMAO Some people refuse to get it. To continue to say the work done by the new force was efficient when the facts show otherwise is silly. Germany had a more efficient work force but was limited by resources. Next you're going to tell me the Sherman Tank was better than the Panzer Tank. Quantity over quality that's what the US had over Germany.

Yamamoto wasn't commenting about the efficiency he was commenting about the size and it's impact. Capable work force to produce things yes. Efficient no.

Really bread lines and tent cities abundant in ~1939? This wasn't 1930.

Please stop making things up.

I disagree with what you say because you cannot properly put the data that is out there in it's proper place. A country is not efficient when it takes money from the productive private sector and transfers it to the unproductive public sector. We're rehashing the same points imo. Feel free to get in the last word.
Yes and it was America’s ability to produce the quantity of items that broke Germany’s back hence the win. You utilized the Sherman tank versus the Panzer. This is poor logic as the people producing the tank had nothing to do with its design. The Sherman tanks inadequacy stemmed from design not manufacturing. One has to go back to the boys at the Pentagon for that one. Getting back to manufacturing capabilities how can you consider the volume of goods produced a failure. This volume of goods is what allowed America to win the war effort. While German military technology was indeed superior, they were out-produced. Remember that technology does not denote manufacturing prowess or efficiency. In fact greater complexity can erode efficiency. The Panzers were more complicated hence they took longer to produce.

Additionally you state that Yamamoto wasn’t referring to efficiency when he spoke of awakening a giant. I agree as I never stated he meant that in my previous post. He was indeed as you stated referring to the size of America’s industrial capabilities. We are in some ways stating the same thing only in a different manner. Where we converge however is over the benefit war time spending had on America’s economy. I will never agree with the premise that spending by the government did not ward off the depression..

Who’s making up things? It’s quite easy to look it up for yourself. Unemployment peaked around 1933 at around 25%. Another uptick in unemployment occurred around 1939 with 17% of America’s work force out of work. Whats interesting about these graphs is the tremendous drop in unemployment around 1940. Unemployment dropped from 15% in 1940 to 2% in 1944. This was exactly when we entered the war front.

Hoovervilles sprouted up in large numbers in the early 30’s and remained until the early 40’s when jobs became readily available. If one does not have a job, how can one house and feed themself? The assent and decline of the Hooverville and related soup kitchen correlated directly with the rise and fall in employment. The downturn in unemployment numbers in turn correlated directly with our entry into WWII. No funny numbers here, only pure numbers that show cause and effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:54 PM

314 posts, read 936,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
LOL T-baggers in Congress? What a laugh. The Republicans aren't going to allow any T-baggers in. Republican are all about big government and big spending. They just don't believe in taxes. T-baggers are just being used by the Republican Party and are too stupid to understand.
Damn you hit the nail on the head! It's kind of like Joe the Plumber, they used him til they had no more use for him.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:04 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,774 times
Just an FYI for my fellow lefties who are using the "tea-b****r phrase. I'd be careful, people are being disciplined for using it. I haven't personally used it because I figured the sour grapes gang would probably start reporting it at some point, so watch your backs.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:18 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,704,460 times
Quote:
LOL T-baggers in Congress? What a laugh. The Republicans aren't going to allow any T-baggers in. Republican are all about big government and big spending. They just don't believe in taxes. T-baggers are just being used by the Republican Party and are too stupid to understand.
Republicans don't want another party in the mix. They think 2 parties are plenty. Anything more than that would dilute the power, and neither party wants that.

Let's just vote out all the incumbents and start with a fresh slate. It will take them time -- maybe several tems -- to get corrupted (I hope).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
Just an FYI for my fellow lefties who are using the "tea-b****r phrase. I'd be careful, people are being disciplined for using it. I haven't personally used it because I figured the sour grapes gang would probably start reporting it at some point, so watch your backs.
You're right. It's name-calling. Not nice.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:07 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
Good luck with that. I love how all the Tea Partiers hate government, and yet cant wait to become a part of it.
Ha, good point.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
Quote:
Absolutely true, same with the Religious Right a decade or so ago.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,312,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I am still psyched for the day when he goes back to his Top 40 DJ gig: "Glenn Beck and the Morning Zoooo!!!...I marvel at the fact that nobody realizes this is allllll a show from Mr. Beck. He is an entertainer, and he gets great ratings, but that is about it. This run of the past few years is no different than when a celebrity personality realizes a certain "Act" is working with their public. If legalizing hemp and welfare for all became the cry of the Republican party Glenn would be wearing a Hemp skirt and talking about how psyched he is about his food stamps...and how dare the Dems take it away. It is entertainment, nothing more.

Unfortunately, the teabagger/talk radiot/Faux News crowd doesn't get this. They buy into everything this clown, Limbaugh, Hannity and the rest of the bunch, have to say hook line and sinker. I could really care less, there will always be the fringe nutjobs, idiots, etc. in both parties, but these bozos are taking the republican party down and doing irreparable damage.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:40 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,446,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader14 View Post
All empires come to an end just didn't see this one happening so soon. It has taken the past 65 years to come down and it happened last night.
Feeling sorry for yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies