Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 12:06 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,088,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
It is true the wealthy benefit from an immense chain of luck.
No so. The flawed economic system we use is geared towards them. Hard figures prove that.

The Swiss are considering a Citizens income. Enough to live on and more. It will give security and cut down welfare payments promoting production.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:07 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,603,614 times
when a communist government takes over they stripe the rich and take their stuff. they tell the rich that we are taking your stuff beck you stole it from the poor. next the communist party bosses take all the stuff and the people get zip or at best a few scraps. soon after they jail or kill anybody that says jack about it.
beware of people that say lets rob the rich.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:24 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,042,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
No so. The flawed economic system we use is geared towards them. Hard figures prove that.

The Swiss are considering a Citizens income. Enough to live on and more. It will give security and cut down welfare payments promoting production.
That has nothing to do with luck, which in this country it does rely more and more on.

Canada, and other first world countries, have better class mobility than the US does these days.

Thought that Swiss bill got shot down the other day? As much as I believe our wages here in the US are low; if we had a bill such as what the Swiss are proposing I'd still vote no on it.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:08 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,423,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Statistics please. Especially when one compares to both the subsidies mass transit receive from local governments on TOP of federal tax deductions one can take when utilizing mass transit (which drivers cannot). Plus, buses use the same darn roads.
This stuff is publicly available.

Drivers only put up 50.4% of the tab. Amtrak, for all the jokes directed at it... posts up 88% of its tab.

Quote:
Many state taxes are progressive; where do you live? Maryland starts at 2% and goes up to 5.8. California goes up to 11%. Plus with the various subsidies, tax breaks, etc. most low income people receive most of their state, federal witholds back as credits so actual taxes paid are extremely progressive.
Stop stop stop. You are focusing on income taxes only. State taxes are highly regressive. Sales, property, excise, and payroll taxes eat up a hefty amount of even a low-wage worker's income. Even people off the books pay sales taxes.

Maryland is not progressive. It is simply less regressive than the backwards conservative states.

Quote:
I pay almost 45% of my income in state, federal, SS, medicare, and Obamacare taxes. If it's selfish to want to keep more of the $ I work hard to make, why don't YOU send an extra $ to the IRS to fund programs YOU feel merit the extra funding?
"Me me me!!!"

Like I said, morality does not form the basis of economics. Policy should be based on fundamentals.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,255,658 times
Not sure I agree property taxes are regressive at all. They are paid by property owners, which are not lower income people in general. Property taxes are typically deductive for itemizers, but deductible just means a reduction in income taxes on a marginal basis. People of even upper middle incomes lose the ability to deduct these items anyway.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:21 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,042,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Not sure I agree property taxes are regressive at all. They are paid by property owners, which are not lower income people in general. Property taxes are typically deductive for itemizers, but deductible just means a reduction in income taxes on a marginal basis. People of even upper middle incomes lose the ability to deduct these items anyway.
Perhaps not in major metro areas, but in large parts of the countries they are. Many homes that have passed from generation to generation for families. A large thing in my state, is with the influx of vacationers buying up property, many of these families can no longer afford the taxes and end up losing their homes because of quick appreciation.

Property taxes aren't set by how much you earn or how much you spend.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,255,658 times
Quote:
Perhaps not in major metro areas, but in large parts of the countries they are. Many homes that have passed from generation to generation for families. A large thing in my state, is with the influx of vacationers buying up property, many of these families can no longer afford the taxes and end up losing their homes because of quick appreciation.

They don't "lose" their homes. They sell them, for an enormous appreciation, when that happens.

Gentrification causes this too. But what would you do about it? It is at minimum unpleasant for the home owners. But they will make a lot of money and move to some place they can afford.

Nothing stays the same over the long term. It isn't reasonable for government to try to protect people from all economic changes.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when a communist government takes over they stripe the rich and take their stuff. they tell the rich that we are taking your stuff beck you stole it from the poor. next the communist party bosses take all the stuff and the people get zip or at best a few scraps. soon after they jail or kill anybody that says jack about it.
beware of people that say lets rob the rich.
You have been reading too many odd books.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with luck, which in this country it does rely more and more on.
The figure show the top few percent are stinking rich which is not down to luck. Study some economics and social/politocal history.

There is still a hint of a hope for the Swiss. A Citizens dividend paid for by commonly created wealth will work.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:

The problem with property taxes is that they conflate CAPITAL (the buildings) and the LAND. The tax should be on LAND only and based on the land's value, and assessed annually. As economic community activity soaks into the land crystalizing as land values, we are reclaiming common wealth. Then we can eliminate destructive and regressive income and sales taxes.

Taxing buildings, CAPITAL, is like taxing your sofa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies