Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:12 AM

38,065 posts, read 22,226,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
A federal judge in Wisconsin ruled the National Day of Prayer unconstitutional Thursday, saying the day amounts to a call for religious action.
Clip:
Crabb wrote that her ruling was not a judgment on the value of prayer. She noted government involvement in prayer may be constitutional if the conduct serves a "significant secular purpose" and doesn't amount to a call for religious action. But the National Day of Prayer crosses that line, she wrote.
"It goes beyond mere 'acknowledgment' of religion because its sole purpose is to encourage all citizens to engage in prayer, an inherently religious exercise that serves no secular function in this context," she wrote. "In this instance, the government has taken sides on a matter that must be left to individual conscience."

The Associated Press: Federal judge rules Day of Prayer unconstitutional
Seems she is rewriting the US Constitution, nowhere in the Constitution does it state anything she is trying to make us believe it says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
The reason it is unconstitutional is because the law required the president to ask the country to pray. He is still allowed to do that if he WANTS to do so, he just can no longer be FORCED to do it if he does not. It's the forcing part that was unconstitutional.

It was a good ruling. I hope it sticks. Little by little we will root religious bias out of our laws and level the playing field for people of all beliefs as well as non-believers.
Nowhere in the Constitution does it state what you have just said either.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:27 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,362,824 times
The proposed prayer day does not constitute "an establishment of religion". It simply recognizes that some people choose to engage in religious behavior.

A National Gay Pride Day, which is inevitably coming, would not, for example, require everyone to be gay. Similarly, Mothers Day does not require everyone or anyone to be a mother. And so on.

Check out the list (National Greek Independence Day, anyone?) ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...l_proclamation

The judge is wrong.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The proposed prayer day does not constitute "an establishment of religion". It simply recognizes that some people choose to engage in religious behavior.

A National Gay Pride Day, which is inevitably coming, would not, for example, require everyone to be gay. Similarly, Mothers Day does not require everyone or anyone to be a mother. And so on.

Check out the list (National Greek Independence Day, anyone?) ...

List of observances in the United States by presidential proclamation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The judge is wrong.
The judge would have illegal for the president to speak to the nation about a cave in at a coal mine, by speaking on national TV and asking those in the audience to pray for "those who have been lost in this tragic" accident.
Obama gives condolences to families of dead miners - Politics AP - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/05/1564907/obama-offers-condolences-and-help.html - broken link)

For people like Occam's Bikini Wax, leveling the playing field means ZERO religion, not balanced.

Last edited by Wapasha; 04-17-2010 at 07:50 AM..

Old 04-17-2010, 07:41 AM

383 posts, read 223,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Good for the people of Wisconsin.
How is it for the PEOPLE of Wisconsin when a tyrant in a robe is the one calling the shots? Here is a brilliant idea why not let the people decide? I know shocked huh?

Plus no one is making anyone pray or do anything else religious so its just another shot to crush Christianity.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:25 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,788,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
How is it for the PEOPLE of Wisconsin when a tyrant in a robe is the one calling the shots? Here is a brilliant idea why not let the people decide? I know shocked huh?

Plus no one is making anyone pray or do anything else religious so its just another shot to crush Christianity.

Did it occur to you that judges are elected? If they're federal they are appointed, but approved by the Senate.

The judiciary is part of the three branch system and as part of the checks and bablances in place.

Judges in this nation are pseudo-elected officials.

How is this a war on Christianity? Can't anyone of any religion pray? I mean they do, and this rluing pertains to that.

As a good Cathollic, I have never felt under attack from any government force. The only people who ever questioned MY faith have been Protestants-who are heretics anyway, so.

I mean 6 outa the 9 SCOTUS judges were Catholic, is that a war against Protestants? No, because we're not supposed to ask about faith and religion.

Well it appears as if, someone else drank the Bill O'Reilly coolaid.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:08 AM

50 posts, read 77,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the Atheist didnt win. Atheist lost with the rest of us.

This was a win for folks who hate the idea of a founding document that governs what we do today.

It is a win for those who believe in mob rule.

Americans lost. sadly too many Americans dont even know they lost.

Well at least it's settled:

We use to be a republic, and I said nothing;

Then it was changed to a democracy by representation, and I said nothing;

Now it is a true democracy, and I can't say anything.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:28 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,615,108 times
So let me get this straight. This is the unbelievers push.

The unbelievers have lost their respect for those who believe in prayer and are willing to give up their constitutional rights in order to have all prayer, the mentioning of prayer, the act of prayer removed from public participation?

It is fine with them these rights are removed for them it is justifiable, by the declaring that all such acts are unconstitutional and so therefore they were never a right to begin with but a privilege. A privilege that those who pray in public can do without as it hurts the unbeliever in some way to see this.

Also, for the President to give recognition by signing a proclamation to give humble recognition of a NDP, and in that, all men were created equal, endowed by their creator (there was no creator) So---therefore there is no right to be treated equal in the first place, so in essence we have no rights under the constitution and this country was founded on a farce of belief systems that would even suggest that we did.

This is a powerplay that puts a feather in the more government for the peoples cap.

Well maybe life can be supported on Mars as there is no other place to go like there was hundreds of years ago, when the land was here with few people and they could leave their countries and chart a new destination and establish a more understanding government derived by those people.

It is government of the people, for the people, by the people as the years move forward and the insanity begins to in gulf us all.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:02 AM

20,495 posts, read 12,416,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Mark Levin, is that you!? I've read your posts and they are almost the same words used by him as I listened to him earlier today.

You are right. The Americans lost today and it is sad to see that some don't even realize it.

And a note to the one/those that kept asking, what is it?
It is/was a day set aside to stop and give thanks for our freedoms so as we may continue on in life, liberty and our pursuit of happiness.

I guess there are those that don't respect that any more and it is their voice we will continue to hear more of in the future.

Well I guess it is time too for the churches to hand over their money as well to the state and federal government. They are broke and are going to need all the help they can get. What? I believe the non-believers voice is being heard loud and clear, for a reason. The establishment clause is about money, tax money.
LOL! Wow! that is high praise! I dont get to listen to Mark very often (almost never) as work conflicts with his show and i dont spend much time in the car.

But that dude is as solid on the constitution as anyone alive. I hope he wouldnt hate my arguments here anyway!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM

20,495 posts, read 12,416,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The judge does a thorough job of addressing all the issues and arguments raised in this 11 page thread.
the judge does no such thing.

the judge runs down the tired old leftist arguments of the past 50 years and nothing else.

one has to believe that we have a constitutional right to take what the framers intended and flush then down the toilet with our last badjob to buy the snake oil "the judge" is hawking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies