Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:38 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,222,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
A federal judge in Wisconsin ruled the National Day of Prayer unconstitutional Thursday, saying the day amounts to a call for religious action.
Clip:
Crabb wrote that her ruling was not a judgment on the value of prayer. She noted government involvement in prayer may be constitutional if the conduct serves a "significant secular purpose" and doesn't amount to a call for religious action. But the National Day of Prayer crosses that line, she wrote.
"It goes beyond mere 'acknowledgment' of religion because its sole purpose is to encourage all citizens to engage in prayer, an inherently religious exercise that serves no secular function in this context," she wrote. "In this instance, the government has taken sides on a matter that must be left to individual conscience."

The Associated Press: Federal judge rules Day of Prayer unconstitutional

then we should have earth day declared unconstitutional as well, since climate change, global warming and the enviroment are as much a religion to alot of people as going to the church is to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,507,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
How is it for the PEOPLE of Wisconsin when a tyrant in a robe is the one calling the shots? Here is a brilliant idea why not let the people decide? I know shocked huh?
Everyone should indeed be shocked, as your comment reflects a complete lack of understanding of your country and its government. Not only are we not a direct democracy, but to the extent that we do practice democracy, matters of Constitutional rights amd limitations of government power are strictly off limits to it. You cannot enforce some referendum or plebiscite deciding to limit the right of free speech in your county, even if every single resident voted for it. Those rights are inherent in each individual and may not be taken away by any majority, no matter how large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
Plus no one is making anyone pray or do anything else religious so its just another shot to crush Christianity.
You are a lost soul indeed, and whatever your religion is, it can't be much of one if it is unable to get along without the government giving it a helping hand. The effect of the Establishment Clause is to require that government remain neutral in the matter of religion. It may not support, favor, or endorse any one religion over another, or religion in general over non-religion. It may not act to stamp out observation of a National Day of Prayer, and it may not act to advance it either. The court's ruling merely acts to enforce the second half of that equation to the same degree as it would the first.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
So let me get this straight. This is the unbelievers push. The unbelievers have lost their respect for those who believe in prayer and are willing to give up their constitutional rights in order to have all prayer, the mentioning of prayer, the act of prayer removed from public participation?
Get a grip. The decision says nothing whatsoever about what you or others may do with your rights under the Free Exercise Clause. It deals only with what the government may or may not do given tne limitations on government power that are inherent in the Establishment Clause. I thought you all were in favor of limited government. Maybe only sometimes, huh?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
So... how many times do we have to re-state what the word "establish" means in this context before you get it?
It's you all who are out of the loop, dude. The government is to remain neutral on matters of religion. Proclaiming and supporting a day of prayer is not an example of neutrality.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
The president's proclamation has not the force of law, unless when authorized by congress; as if congress were to pass an act...
36 USC 119

Old 04-20-2010, 12:27 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,659,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It's you all who are out of the loop, dude. The government is to remain neutral on matters of religion. Proclaiming and supporting a day of prayer is not an example of neutrality.
Once again, showing your myopic views, praying does NOT have to be religious. You can pray to a God if you want or you can pray to whatever you would like, a NDOP is not necessarily a religious promotion. Just review the definition as posted by so many people in this thread. People "may" turn to God, then again, they may not in their prayers.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:38 PM

Interesting. How many other overtly religious words are not really religious, but just another part of some casual secular dialogue with no supernatural overtones or implications at all? Let's see, so far we've got "God" and "prayer" for sure...anything else you want to try to throw in there???

Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,860,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
then we should have earth day declared unconstitutional as well, since climate change, global warming and the enviroment are as much a religion to alot of people as going to the church is to others.
I guess you call anything a religion. But, I didn't know Earth Day was a government sponsored event. Or, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Once again, showing your myopic views, praying does NOT have to be religious. You can pray to a God if you want or you can pray to whatever you would like, a NDOP is not necessarily a religious promotion. Just review the definition as posted by so many people in this thread. People "may" turn to God, then again, they may not in their prayers.
You didn't respond to my earlier post... why do you need the government sponsored event so you can pray to whatever cause you want to? Government's only responsibility should be to ensure your rights as an individual to pray or not to pray are not infringed upon, not sponsor the event itself.

And if praying is not religious, would you like to provide an example applied to a non-religious/atheistic matter?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I guess you call anything a religion. But, I didn't know Earth Day was a government sponsored event. Or, is it?

You didn't respond to my earlier post... why do you need the government sponsored event so you can pray to whatever cause you want to? Government's only responsibility should be to ensure your rights as an individual to pray or not to pray are not infringed upon, not sponsor the event itself.

And if praying is not religious, would you like to provide an example applied to a non-religious/atheistic matter?
Didn't see your earlier post. Personally, I don't need a government sanctioned anything but to say that having a day of prayer is unconstitutional is just plain old ridiculous. Maybe some folks need or want that.

Here is the thing: What is wrong with a National Day of Prayer? Perhaps something like this can help to unite people. Perhaps it can make people take a second to stop and think about what they need or what they should do to make society better. Does it hurt anyone to have this? Why would you be offended at someone else taking the time to pray on his or her own time?

basically for me, every day is a National Day of Prayer. I pray to become better, I pray for my fellow people to become better. I pray for my kids and their safety and their future. I pray for that people everyone achieve what they want and are happy.

Why would someone have a problem with that?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Interesting. How many other overtly religious words are not really religious, but just another part of some casual secular dialogue with no supernatural overtones or implications at all? Let's see, so far we've got "God" and "prayer" for sure...anything else you want to try to throw in there???
Again so it is clear for you, while praying can be religious, part of the definition of "prayer" is as follows:

"something prayed for"

And the etymology of the words is from "obtained by entreaty". It DOES NOT have to be religious.

Typical liberal "twist everything until our panties are all in a bunch" mentality. I pray for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies