Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,024,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
A quick google gives some not too favorable responses, and Meier is a Bob Jones grad:

Frank Minirth & Paul Meier - General Teachings/Activities

Sorry, I'm not giving any credibility to evangelical psychiatrists views on sexuality. Waaaay too subjective.
Well, the "quick" google search I did, came up with this:

Paul Meier, M.D.

It reiterates that Dr. Meier received a M.S. degree in Cardiovascular Physiology from Michigan State University, an M.D. from University of Arkansas College of Medicine, Did a Psychiatric Residency at Duke University and earned a M.A. from the Dallas Theological Seminary. He is a member of the American Medical Association and the American Psychiatry Association.

Pretty impressive credentials, whether or not you agree with what he states in the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 12:19 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,086,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
So, then, you are saying that you can make a choice to be attracted to someone of your own sex?

No I m not prone to abborant or devient behaviors.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:23 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
In the book entitled "The Complete Life Encyclopedia" homosexuality is listed under Gender Identity Disorder.

It states... Male homosexuality seems to occur most frequently when the son has an absent or detached father in childhood and spends a great deal of time with is mother and other females. As a result, he identifies sexually with his mother and may even develop her mannerisms. Yet, he will also crave the attention and affection of his absent father. During the adolescent years of raging hormones, this often results in homosexual tendencies and temptations. These temptations are not at the fault of the young person, but it is important that the individual understand that he has a chance to yield these urges.

A lesbian is a female who engages in sexual relations with another female. The sources of her disorder may be an absent or workaholic mother, which produces a tendency to identify more with her father. She may develop his mannerisms and model her sexual identity on his, even though she craves the attention and affection of her absent mother. As an adolescent, confusing her need for emotional nurture with eroticism, she manifests lesbian tendencies. Again, as with homosexuals, the key element in her behavior is not one of her temptations or urges, but the element of her choice. She has the power to choose to act out these urges or not to.

Many adolescents with gender identity disorders can be helped and enabled to make healthy emotional choices that will cement their sexual orientations in the direction of homosexuality. Many adolescents are confused about their gender identity, but they are not full-fledged homosexuals. They are at a crossroads. This confusion may lead them to experiment with homosexual behavior, and with time and experience, they may become compulsively addicted to homosexual or lesbian behavior.
Is this a joke? Have we gone back 100 years in time?

Oh...I get it now...it's just a couple of fringe fundamentalist anti-gay Christian Psychiatrists who base their ideas on ludicrous, outdated, discredited, scientifically unsupported Freudian notions liberally mixed with scripture and Bible prophecy.

Why are you posting this nonsense? Did you not research the source first?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
The authors of the book cited are actuallly very well credentialed.

Frank Minirth, M.D. holds Doctorates in Medicine and Theology and is a MENSA member

Paul Meier, M.D. did his residency at Duke University

You may not want to agree with them. But, certainly to be open minded, their writing cannot be so easily dismissed.
Yes their writings about homosexuality CAN be easily dismissed. Very easily.

A psychiatrist using Freudian notions of homosexuality from the early 1900's is like modern surgeon using bloodletting to let out bad "humours" in your blood.

Apparently Paul Meier spends most if his time writing about Secret Bible Codes and Biblical Prophecies now.

I'd put him on about the same level as Scientologists who practice science fiction writer L Ron Hubbard's ideas of "auditing" to remove the "engrams" or little bits of alien "thetans" from our psyches.. (and also believe in an evil Galactic Dictator called Xenu who sent millions of aliens to earth about 75 billion years ago and blew them up with H Bombs dropped by spaceships that looked like a DC-8 airplane" )

Last edited by Ceist; 04-27-2010 at 06:33 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 06:26 AM

The American Psychiatric Assocition has this to say about reparative therapy for homosexuals (which is what these two guys preach.)
Therapies Focused on Attempts to Change Sexual Orientation (Reparative or Conversion Therapies)

Quote:
The potential risks of reparative therapy are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behavior, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient. Many patients who have undergone reparative therapy relate that they were inaccurately told that homosexuals are lonely, unhappy individuals who never achieve acceptance or satisfaction. The possibility that the person might achieve happiness and satisfying interpersonal relationships as a gay man or lesbian is not presented, nor are alternative approaches to dealing the effects of societal stigmatization discussed. The APA recognizes that in the course of ongoing psychiatric treatment there may be appropriate clinical indications for attempting to change sexual behaviors.

Several major professional organizations including the American Psychological Association, the National Association of Social Workers and the American Academy of Pediatrics have all made statements against reparative therapy because of concerns for the harm caused to patients. The American Psychiatric Association has already taken clear stands against discrimination, prejudice and unethical treatment on a variety of issues including discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

Therefore, the American Psychiatric Association opposes any psychiatric treatment, such as reparative or conversion therapy which is based upon the assumption that homosexuality per se is a mental disorder or based upon the a priori assumption that the patient should change his/her sexual homosexual orientation.
And the American Psychological Association published a comprehensive report on reparative therapy in 2009:
Report of the APA Task Force on Appropriate Therapeutic Responses to Sexual Orientation
Quote:
The task force conducted a systematic review of the peer-reviewed journal literature on sexual orientation change efforts (SOCE) and concluded that efforts to change sexual orientation are unlikely to be successful and involve some risk of harm, contrary to the claims of SOCE practitioners and advocates.

Even though the research and clinical literature demonstrate that same-sex sexual and romantic attractions, feelings, and behaviors are normal and positive variations of human sexuality, regardless of sexual orientation identity, the task force concluded that the population that undergoes SOCE tends to have strongly conservative religious views that lead them to seek to change their sexual orientation.

Thus, the appropriate application of affirmative therapeutic interventions for those who seek SOCE involves therapist acceptance, support, and understanding of clients and the facilitation of clients’ active coping, social support, and identity exploration and development, without imposing a specific sexual orientation identity outcome."

Last edited by Ceist; 04-27-2010 at 06:37 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Well, the "quick" google search I did, came up with this:

Paul Meier, M.D.

It reiterates that Dr. Meier received a M.S. degree in Cardiovascular Physiology from Michigan State University, an M.D. from University of Arkansas College of Medicine, Did a Psychiatric Residency at Duke University and earned a M.A. from the Dallas Theological Seminary. He is a member of the American Medical Association and the American Psychiatry Association.

Pretty impressive credentials, whether or not you agree with what he states in the book.
Impressive credentials, sure.

But unless his findings are peer reviewed, they are nothing but opinions... modern science slanted by popular religious belief.

Funny, however.... I'm sure there is no entry in his "Encyclopedia" for people who speak to and obey invisible people who live in the sky under the fear that that particular sky person is a mean and nasty brute who gets his jollies off by punishing people who eat shellfish or ham or have sex with anyone but their other sex married partner. One would think an omnipotent being would have better interests than who you're shagging or what you're eating for dinner.

Sounds to me like THAT should be listed as a mass pyschological disorder ... not homosexuality.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Impressive credentials, sure.

But unless his findings are peer reviewed, they are nothing but opinions... modern science slanted by popular mythological belief.
I wouldn't exactly call their notions "modern" science or even science at all.

There are still a few Christian psychiatrists like these floating about who believe this completely unsupported nonsense. They can't accept any biological causes for homosexuality because of their religious beliefs. Another one is Joseph Nicolosi - who was one of the founders of the religious based anti-gay fringe group NARTH, as well as the originator of "reparative" therapy for homosexuals. In other words - "pray away the gay" - unethical, unscientific, ineffective and potentially dangerous practices under the guise of "therapy". They are closely linked with James's Dobson far right right-winged anti-homosexual group- Focus on the Family

Perhaps these people think it's better for a homosexuals to commit suicide when they realise that they can't change their sexual orientation - no matter how hard they pray or how many "daddy figure" therapists they get cuddled by (I'm serious- that's part of the therapy).

Last edited by Ceist; 04-27-2010 at 07:27 AM..

Old 04-27-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Interesting how some posters pop up occasionally just to start an anti-gay thread. I wonder what could explain this.
Their mummies and daddies didn't give them enough cuddles when they were growing up? So they take it out on all the gay people who did get cuddles?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,855,535 times
right out of 1930's psychology books. same books that promote the use of frontal lobotomies. I think the Kennedy's would argue the point of their validity.
Remember Bush said there were WMD's... didn't make it true.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Wrong. Homosexuality is an abnormal occurrence in nature as are many abborations in society.
Do you need a hug? I'm a mum and have it on good authority from my partner's and my 3 children that we give great hugs.

Wait!

Does that mean that these guys are right? Our children have had a lot of love and hugs as they were growing up...and they are all straight, not gay!

No...wait... I also got lot's of love and hugs from both my straight parents....and I'm gay!

Or maybe I'm not really gay?

No wait!

My partner would beg to differ. Vociferously.

Oh heck...here's your pink bunny for you to hug honey...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies