Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
So the Arizona law doesn't apply to Americans? I support it than.
You and I both know it does apply to American Citizens. The law states that an officer can stop anyone they suspect of being an illegal alien, and without warrant, arrest anyone they have probably cause to suspect is an illegal alien. Basically, it makes it illegal not to carry identification.

But don't worry, if you're white you have nothing to worry about.

Few states have Stop-and-Identify laws, and they are frequently challenged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 11:19 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Could you speak to who is holding back the Miranda rights from suspected Muslim? Actually I think it is Eric Holder and he sure isn't a Tea Party member.

And they believe someone else has a problem.

Someone needs to get their facts correct, this is the 3rd or 4th thread started by this OP on the tea party members that has been wrong.

Terrorist do not get US constitutional rights.

The Arizona law is just an add on to our federal law.

If you are here legally and carry your ID then why worry so much? Unless you have something to hide?

Just to inform you of something, the tea party members know this constitution far better the the idiot so called scholar sleeping in our WH.

Someone needs a time out for making so many errors in knowledge of what the constitution really says.

Making stuff up must be the new kool-aiders way of being worried about the growing tea party movement to remove liberals who do not like our constitution very much.

Obama and Holder cannot seem to make up their minds, the mistake a day Presidunce and his followers want to give terrorist rights and now they go and change their mind again. Sounds to me they just admitted to making yet another mistake.

Please do us a favor, concentrate on Obamas promises of closing Gitmo and having our troops out of Iraq by August. Lets see if he keeps both of those promises. Maybe, just maybe you might get someone right for a change.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:22 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
You and I both know it does apply to American Citizens. The law states that an officer can stop anyone they suspect of being an illegal alien, and without warrant, arrest anyone they have probably cause to suspect is an illegal alien. Basically, it makes it illegal not to carry identification.

With a huge majority of the crimes being committed in the US being by non whites and hispanics what makes you think anything else should be done?

Why wouldn't you want to look for those who commit the most crimes?

Last time I checked hispanics were committing more violent crimes then whites across America. So we should not be looking for illegal trespassers who are hispanic then?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
With a huge majority of the crimes being committed in the US being by non whites and hispanics what makes you think anything else should be done?
Does it occur to you to ask why minorities commit disproportionate numbers of crimes? Does it occur to you that maybe we should--I don't know--fix the problem as to why?

Quote:
Why wouldn't you want to look for those who commit the most crimes?
Driving while black.

Quote:
Last time I checked hispanics were committing more violent crimes then whites across America. So we should not be looking for illegal trespassers who are hispanic then?
For the same reason you don't stop Middle Easterners in the airport. For some reason, this is going to go over your head.

The sweeping generalization of a group of people and labeling them as criminals is a fallacy of thought. More people of hispanic descent being in prison disproportionate to their racial distribution in the general population doesn't mean they are all criminals. More importantly, you harass legal citizens of the United States (many of them natural born). We run into several problems, including self-fulfilling prophecies and role-assumption (as famous by Zimbardo's study).

Let's not forget that the entire prospect is stupidly racist.

Quote:
"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."
I'm not Mexican, why do I have to worry?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Some of you really don't get how simple this is.

There are people every day accused of crimes they didn't commit; detained without due process; subject to strip searches without proper basis; and a whole host of other issues. What you propose will 9 times of 10 lead to you being taken down to the station in cuffs to sit in jail for a day or two until they sort out that you didn't do anything and have no outstanding warrants; then they let you go.

Some of you think "well, you protected your rights!!" But what about the collateral damage?

• Most employers frown upon their staff being arrested for any reason even if the employee is later proven not to have done anything wrong. They'd rather fire you than deal with the possible negative press.
  • Neighbors and friends act differently towards you just on the accusation of having done something. There are people right now accused of child molestation who didn't do such, forced to add to the list, deal with the stigma for 5 years, then it's later proven to have been false, but the stigma doesn't go away.
  • Police get your prints, your data, everything about you is added to their watch file even if you didn't do anything wrong - because they'll then be keeping a closer eye out in the event they actually do find some problem. Even something as benign as bouncing a check.

So you have a choice. You can conform to the publicly accepted standard of just carrying your frickin ID and showing it when asked, avoiding a problem, or you can bob your head and refuse, and get stigmatized.
This is absolutely ridiculous. Voluntarily give up our rights because law enforcement officers are breaking the law and incarcerating people for no reason? Sorry, we have Habeus Corpus, and if that is being violated every day, and people are being unlawfully incarcerated for several days, this needs to happen more often until people become aware of it and it stops. Hell, I can name three instances recently in my county (which has a very small population) where the police were completely in the wrong and faced little to no reprisal. The answer to our problems is not to give in to their criminal activities, but to stand up against them and assert out rights. As Edmund Burke famously said, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous. Voluntarily give up our rights because law enforcement officers are breaking the law and incarcerating people for no reason? Sorry, we have Habeus Corpus, and if that is being violated every day, and people are being unlawfully incarcerated for several days, this needs to happen more often until people become aware of it and it stops. Hell, I can name three instances recently in my county (which has a very small population) where the police were completely in the wrong and faced little to no reprisal. The answer to our problems is not to give in to their criminal activities, but to stand up against them and assert out rights. As Edmund Burke famously said, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Don't blame of officers--the Arizona bill makes it unlawful for any PD to have a policy preventing the enforcement of the law. There goes officer discretion.

Blame the whack-job politicians who are passing this crap. Blame the morons who think "the Mexicans are taking all the jobs." If there is one thing this country needs to learn (and apparently hasn't already) is prohibition doesn't work.

Where is the problem with immigration? Immigration laws. The people coming here from Mexico are looking for work--and jobs that people aren't taking anyway. Farm hands, menial labor jobs, dangerous and hazard work that no-one has any interest in. The proverbial backs everyone is walking on is the labor of immigrants.

When you make it so difficult to immigrate here for that work--they stay. When you make it so difficult for them to work here--they turn to crime.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:

The law does not state an officer can stop anyone. the law only applies to those who have been stopped or arrested for other crimes.
So if someone robs a bank and gets caught they can be asked for their papers.
The law states it is illegal for someone to be in the country illegally.
A federal law which has been in effect since 1940.
Like holder you really do not know the law read about it .

Claims muddle debate over law

Old 05-17-2010, 05:08 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Don't blame of officers--the Arizona bill makes it unlawful for any PD to have a policy preventing the enforcement of the law. There goes officer discretion.

Blame the whack-job politicians who are passing this crap. Blame the morons who think "the Mexicans are taking all the jobs." If there is one thing this country needs to learn (and apparently hasn't already) is prohibition doesn't work.

Where is the problem with immigration? Immigration laws. The people coming here from Mexico are looking for work--and jobs that people aren't taking anyway. Farm hands, menial labor jobs, dangerous and hazard work that no-one has any interest in. The proverbial backs everyone is walking on is the labor of immigrants.

When you make it so difficult to immigrate here for that work--they stay. When you make it so difficult for them to work here--they turn to crime.
ther eis no problem with legla immigrants. the problem comes with illegal aliens.
they are breaking the law of the country to start with

Old 05-17-2010, 05:47 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
O.K. so there is a legal way....correct?

I do not think that legal way is to jump a fence to start the paperwork...is it?

If you were in ANY other country illegally...you would be caught and thrown in Jail....

Ever tried to get into Korea/Germany/ any where else in the world...cannot do it UNLESS you have the correct paper work...

Old 05-17-2010, 06:03 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,064,272 times
Quote:

Now, why don't you back up your ridiculous assertions with text from the actual law. If you say the law states this, post where the law states it!! We're waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies