Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you pay to hear Bristol Palin give a speech?
Yes 8 6.90%
No 103 88.79%
Not sure 5 4.31%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I guess working 8 - 5 was harder than she thought.

Oh well, she can be an object lesson on how abstinence only education doesn't work.
So she should work 8-5 if she can earn 30k a speech

There is this show on MTV called Teen mom. I think every teen in this country should have required to watch that show or listen to a speech like from Bristol. Dont you think we should be trying to teach our children all that comes with having sex other then full filling their own desires?

I would think with Stds and such more would be wanting our teens to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
It's just another fine example of how the Palin's are all about cashing in and selling out. Like mother, like daughter.
Excuse me? I mean how dare they earn a buck. Are you upset with Bill Clinton raffling himself off to the highest bidder to try and pay down Hillarys debt?

But darn it lets be upset over Bristol making a buck to support her child. I mean, as opposed to living on welfare and asking tax payers support her and the child.

Why do you care? When I doubt you care about others doing the same thing. Its only a Palin doing it that bothers some.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Personally, I wouldn't walk across the street to hear her speak if it were free.

Having said that, I fully support her charging what the market will bear for her to speak. If she can make $30,000 bucks a pop, more power to her. Better this than waitressing or living off the gov't.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get people to pay $30,000 to hear me speak, I'd have it whipped. Reckon there's a market for grumpy old man ramblings?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:29 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
did ya ever think, maybe her story about her mistakes might help save another young girl or even a guy from making the same mistake. If she can get paid for speaking what difference should that make to you?

NIta
Whatever. That's a pathetic excuse. What's really going on here is sleazy financial opportunism. Listening to Bristol Palin talking about how bad it is to get knocked up as a teen is not going to stop any girl from getting pregnant; those girls all know probably three or four teenage girls their age who are pregnant, and the see what the deal is.

Besides, it looks like it worked out pretty well for Bristol, doesn't it? Get knocked up, ride mommy's fame and opportunism, become a "celebrity", rake in a ton of cash for speaking engagements. She's done better for herself than most hard-working, college-educated Americans. I have more respect for Paris Hilton.

Real prevention of teen pregnancy begins with real parenting. For better or worse, Mrs. "Family values, y'all" Palin was too busy teaching her daughter the merits of opportunism, such as how to bail on your elected duty to ride the fringe idiot sentiment in this country for more cash.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Personally, I wouldn't walk across the street to hear her speak if it were free.

Having said that, I fully support her charging what the market will bear for her to speak. If she can make $30,000 bucks a pop, more power to her. Better this than waitressing or living off the gov't.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get people to pay $30,000 to hear me speak, I'd have it whipped. Reckon there's a market for grumpy old man ramblings?
Exactly

Who are we to down her for making a dollar.

How is that any of our business?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Can't say I give a rat's behind what Bristol Palin does, but if people are willing to pay that much to have her as a speaker, kudos to her.

I guess the libs would rather she stay living off welfare and food stamps instead of earning a living for her son and herself?
Hey, she's making an honest buck. If people are willing to listen and pay, then that is their right to do so. Who cares!!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
So she should work 8-5 if she can earn 30k a speech

There is this show on MTV called Teen mom. I think every teen in this country should have required to watch that show or listen to a speech like from Bristol. Dont you think we should be trying to teach our children all that comes with having sex other then full filling their own desires?

I would think with Stds and such more would be wanting our teens to wait.

If you teach abstinence ONLY (please note the ONLY) you're short-changing your kids.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Whatever. That's a pathetic excuse. What's really going on here is sleazy financial opportunism. Listening to Bristol Palin talking about how bad it is to get knocked up as a teen is not going to stop any girl from getting pregnant; those girls all know probably three or four teenage girls their age who are pregnant, and the see what the deal is.

Besides, it looks like it worked out pretty well for Bristol, doesn't it? Get knocked up, ride mommy's fame and opportunism, become a "celebrity", rake in a ton of cash for speaking engagements. She's done better for herself than most hard-working, college-educated Americans. I have more respect for Paris Hilton.

Real prevention of teen pregnancy begins with real parenting. For better or worse, Mrs. "Family values, y'all" Palin was too busy teaching her daughter the merits of opportunism, such as how to bail on your elected duty to ride the fringe idiot sentiment in this country for more cash.
Why are you so worked up over Bristol earning money?

Is someone forcing you to listen to Bristol?

Bristol made a mistake just like you have. Should we remind you daily of that mistake and never move past it?

You dont think with the amount of teens getting pregnant and their age we should try all approaches?

Do you have children? Do they do everything you say? Do you think your child has never done anything you told them they shouldnt

I mean you all talk about Christians are so judgmental. Guess those people having read your post.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:35 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
I thought it was exceptionally generous of the OP to include a "not sure" option in the poll. But I must say, doesn't it make you wonder about the kind of person who'd have to sit down and think about it?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
If you teach abstinence ONLY (please note the ONLY) you're short-changing your kids.
That is between that parent and child.

You get to raise your child and others get to raise their child.

Should we teach your child things you dont wish them to be taught? Isnt it your place to make the choices for how you parent?

I mean really Bristol is a grown women now with a child. How is this any of your business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies