Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 05:34 PM

199 posts, read 217,534 times

Advertisements

Californians are just trying to get away from an overpopulated and overpriced state to somewhere with more breathing room and I don't blame them for that. However, the more Californians move here, the more Oregon turns into California. It's getting pretty crowded here in Oregon too. I still don't hate Californians for moving here. Hate is a too strong word.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:41 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
I think Californians are analogous to 800-pound gorillas; they distort housing markets wherever they go.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:15 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think Californians are analogous to 800-pound gorillas; they distort housing markets wherever they go.
Are you from Oregon? I thought you commented before that you are from the East coast.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Are you from Oregon? I thought you commented before that you are from the East coast.

I was raised in and around NYC - pretty much everywhere in the metro except Manhattan and parts north of NYC - then lived in Michigan for a number of years, and then in Oregon.

When I lived in Michigan, a new arrival from California organized her neighbors to stop a proposed middle-income apartment development a half-mile from her home, in literally the only vacant land left in town. Having arrived with a bundle of cash from the sale of her California home, she didn't want any economic inferiors nearby if she could help it. The developer having been run out of town (after a lawsuit dragged on for about a decade and construction costs necessarily skyrocketed, the developer accepted a modest out-of-court settlement to go away), the town later annexed some farmland in the next county (conveniently owned by a retiring farmer) and allowed an apartment development three miles away.

So I'm a bit wary of Californians moving in.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:33 AM

939 posts, read 788,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

...I am not blaming this on the Californians. They may have opened the doors decades ago by offering Oregonians prices far above the worth of their houses but many others have gotten on the bandwagon since then.

As far as I know, no weapons were ever brandished decades ago at any of the natives involved, from the buyer's agent, seller's agent, and seller too (excluding banks if it's a cash deal), none of whom rejected the offers as being too high, yet accepted them knowing their immediate neighbors (and others) prop taxes will go up.

There may or may not be other reasons to dislike Californians, but the inflating of Oregon's real estate market was/is more of two-way street.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:30 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
I'm coining a new term: "topic necromancy." This is when someone who resurrects an old and dead topic that mercifully died down some time back, and makes it into a zombie topic risen from the grave to rehash all the same points again.

This topic is a good example of topic necromancy.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:26 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
It's nice to see an old thread come up that's not about pumping gas, though.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:37 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
It's nice to see an old thread come up that's not about pumping gas, though.
Not to fear, there will be one shortly given the recent goings on in Salem.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:09 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I was raised in and around NYC - pretty much everywhere in the metro except Manhattan and parts north of NYC - then lived in Michigan for a number of years, and then in Oregon.

When I lived in Michigan, a new arrival from California organized her neighbors to stop a proposed middle-income apartment development a half-mile from her home, in literally the only vacant land left in town. Having arrived with a bundle of cash from the sale of her California home, she didn't want any economic inferiors nearby if she could help it. The developer having been run out of town (after a lawsuit dragged on for about a decade and construction costs necessarily skyrocketed, the developer accepted a modest out-of-court settlement to go away), the town later annexed some farmland in the next county (conveniently owned by a retiring farmer) and allowed an apartment development three miles away.

So I'm a bit wary of Californians moving in.
Oh, ok, because NYers are completely broke without cash and are all sweet as pie, right?

Old 11-12-2017, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 1,459 times
if any state hates Californians, the first thing I have to recommend is PLEASE do not come here.

California has long been envied, or the flip side of the same coin, hated.

Californians have had to endure masses of people from all other states and countries, especially Southern California: the only place with a Mediterranean climate in this country and one of 4 in the world.

GEE, do you think that a special place like this isn't so special? Great, don't move here.
Why else did it get so crowded? I'm a native but every single person I know has moved here from every place you can imagine. A Native is rare. Do we go keying cars, screaming obscenities?
No, we do not.
We work hard and drive a lot, because this place is now too large and expensive for the same reasons you have complained about. From [people moving HERE. We don't leave because it's ugly. In fact, few natives ever want to move. You aren't that special. Jealous, yes.

It's not CALIRNIANS...its the world economy. And the fact that the world loves California. Unless you hang around with only people of your age, race, religion, and culture.....who all agree with you, and small states seem to have a lot of that, Otherwise..they would have flocked to Oregon or Washington...get it?

But some of you discriminate to the point of hating, and it's so sick. Do you feel that small and insecure?

If any of you "haters" think that Californians feel sorry for you, or even agree with your small town, ignorant hating minds, guess again.

Californians, natives such as myself, have seen nothing but people from every state in this country, and every country in the world, to live here, in California. NOT Oregon, Not Washington or any other state. HERE.

And that's why we flee as well. People from Oregon, Northern Calif., and whoever else hates, needs to understand that where you live does not make you special. YOU are not special. The land is pretty and special..you are not. Apparently, you appear to be the opposite of that.

And by showing clearly your hating tendencies only make you look ignorant, and like an uneducated hick who is so accustomed to being around people who are all the same....wake up. This world is changing. And you'll be a hater for the rest of your life until you learn tolerance...as much as California has had to.

Damaging peoples cars, yelling obscenities....it seems that the worst part of Oregon is its people. It would definitely be a reason not to live there if you are that intolerant. How would you like it if you drove into another state and they keyed your car because you were from Oregon? Thats just disgusting and shows what kind of people live there.

If you envy some peoples wealth..call it that. Californians have had to make more money just to live here. Why does that make you so entitled to hate? You live in a nice place...no ones ruining your place.You just like to hate because you are small minded. You don't own the planet. Don't come to California if you hate it so much. Because we love it, as does most of the world.

Whatever you think you know about California seems to be from Hollywood, which is nothing like the real California. California is a stunningly beautiful State. You don't have the award on that. We move because the rest of this planet moves here. So stop with all your elitist crap and grow up. The world is coming to you whether you like t or not, and you'll have to decide what kind of person you really are? A nice one, or an *******.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland