Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 03:00 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,874,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheresaINaz View Post
Agree! In this economy, a part-time job is at least A JOB. Agree once again that "at least they won't be feeding at the public's dole."
Let me just say this, you are taking a complicated economic issue and making it too simplistic.

If a business like TJ's employee's 30-40 people but in turn it makes 4 or more Ma&Pa stores go out of business, is that good for the community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched wrench View Post
I dunno.......New Frontiers was not intimidated by the presence of TJ when they recently opened a store in San Luis Obispo.
Time will tell but a lot depends on the area and how the community/shoppers respond. Frontiers might make it through or it might shut down. One thing is for sure, TJ's will hurt Frontier's bottom line. It is direct competition and TJ's will take away some of its customers.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:20 AM

509 posts, read 1,699,998 times
what mom and pop stores will be affected by TJs? in real world it always has been "dog eat dog" and "survival of the fittest". people and busineesses will always make adjustments to survive economicaly . TJs opening will be no different . it is the ones who cannot nor will adapt that will be doomed to fail . shoppers are fickle and they will always look for something new to try and sate their appetite for goods at TJs or somewhere else .

Old 07-26-2011, 06:22 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
what mom and pop stores will be affected by TJs? in real world it always has been "dog eat dog" and "survival of the fittest". people and busineesses will always make adjustments to survive economicaly . TJs opening will be no different . it is the ones who cannot nor will adapt that will be doomed to fail . shoppers are fickle and they will always look for something new to try and sate their appetite for goods at TJs or somewhere else .
Agreed. I believe it's called...capitalism.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
in real world it always has been "dog eat dog" and "survival of the fittest". people and busineesses will always make adjustments to survive economicaly . TJs opening will be no different . it is the ones who cannot nor will adapt that will be doomed to fail .
One can argue about being on the "public's dole" as TJ's received $2million dollars worth of Prescott tax money to help them build their store. Whether it is an incentive, loan, or however one wants to spin in. TJ's received that money while other Ma&Pa stores did not. Is that fair? I think not.

It's not always the strongest or best that survive in the business world. It is the ones that receive help and favors in the form of public dole/tax money and other "incentives", while others don't. Another example can be "GM", if not for public dole/tax money from the US Govt, they would be out of business today. So your whole capitalism, fairness, and survival of the fittest scenario does not work. If that was the case then AIG, Merrill Lynch, Chrysler and the countless others should be out of business today.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:42 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,706,774 times
Uhhh~Chrysler, at least as I knew it when I grew up is non existent and now controlled as of a few days ago by Fiat.
Of note regarding TJs, although I have never been in a store I know many that have been and I understand that their customer service is very good.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,543,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I understand that their customer service is very good.
This could be a reflection of happy, well-treated employees. I don't know the particulars, but their turnover is low.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 PM

131 posts, read 211,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
As stated per Wikipedia, "Trader Joe's sells many items under its own private labels, requiring their sometimes brand-name suppliers not to publicize this business relationship, and offers these products at a significant discount to brand-name equivalents."
Trader Joe's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In other words, the organic yogurt you can buy at Wal Mart or Costco can be the same yogurt TJ's sells under their TJ name. The manufacturer simply changes labels in the plant but it is 100% the same product inside.
People get into trouble when they feel the need to follow a direct quote with "In other words..." Why must you embellish a fact with unfounded rhetoric such as "it is 100% the same product inside"? For the record, while a vendor may manufacture its familiar item for sale at Costco or Fry's, the item is sometimes necessarily modified for sale at Trader Joe's to ensure a natural product. This is from the Trader Joe's website:

"What can I expect when the name Trader Joe's is on the label?
If you see Trader Joe's on a label, then you can know that the product contains NO artificial flavors, colors or preservatives; NO genetically modified ingredients; NO MSG; and NO added Trans Fats. What does it contain? Quality ingredients. Trader Joe's… it's quite a name, if we do say so ourselves."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
Whether it is an incentive, loan, or however one wants to spin in. TJ's received that money while other Ma&Pa stores did not.
Once again, Trader Joe's did not receive any money. This is not a spin. The money went to the developer who is building more than just the Trader Joe's store. The references can be found in my previous posts.

Moderator cut: discuss the topic and not each other

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-26-2011 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: discuss the topic and not each other

Old 07-26-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everafter View Post
Once again, Trader Joe's did not receive any money. This is not a spin. The money went to the developer who is building more than just the Trader Joe's store. The references can be found in my previous posts.
There are THOUSANDS of Prescott residents that are not happy with the way things played out with TJ's. Read the Courier, read & listen to the Prescott City Council candidates, read the letters.

http://www.prescottaz.com/main.asp?S...rticleID=96281

Old 07-26-2011, 03:27 PM

131 posts, read 211,831 times
I do understand where you're coming from. I'm just saying that I think your beef would be with the city and not with Trader Joe's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott