Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM

138 posts, read 506,757 times

Advertisements

I've been exploring Prescott on-line. I can't find anything bad! That's good!

If anyone can give me more info' (good or bad.) I would appreciate it.

Thanks
gptaz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 04:02 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,090 times
Check out the last couple of posts on "Lost in FL" for why Prescott Valley Mom and I think the Prescott area is great. Of course, there are a few downsides: because of our nice 4-season weather and great location, Prescott is a hot spot for relocation. While we have had a slowdown this past year, there's still alot of people moving here and home prices have not dropped off like they have in Phoenix and California. Traffic, too, can be a tangled mess at times--although I have to admit I'm pretty spoiled--I've got a 15 mile commute from my house to my office in downtown Prescott and it never takes me more than 30 minutes unless there's been an accident. I do think, though, in a few years we'll be really needing some alternative routes, so hopefully ADOT and the City will get those going soon. Other than those 2 negatives, I love it here! btw, I'd be glad to answer any specific ??? you have about the area.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:31 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,965 times
I agree the traffic gets very nasty with all the people coming to town.
If ya like fishing Lynx lake is near by, the backroad up to crown king is a wonderful sightseeing trip.
The railroad trail is great to hike on
Antelope hang out just North of the VA hospital in the flats up towards the airport.
Jerome is a hop skip away

Old 12-14-2006, 12:12 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Congestion and overcrowding. It is turning into a madhouse there and will get worse - much worse. Also, they have serious water issues that are largely being ignored in the rush to put up subdivisions. And, there is no real economy there and few good paying jobs.

Nice area but I would never consider it. When I leave Phoenix, I want to get away from the mass of humanity, the unrelenting growth, the sprawl, the traffic, the pollution, and congestion and not move to an area just to see it destroyed. Sadly Prescott will never be better than it is now.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:16 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,320,090 times
Default Maybe . . . Maybe Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Congestion and overcrowding. It is turning into a madhouse there and will get worse - much worse. Also, they have serious water issues that are largely being ignored in the rush to put up subdivisions. And, there is no real economy there and few good paying jobs. . . . Sadly Prescott will never be better than it is now.
Ponderosa makes some good points, but I'm not sure the doomsday scenario is the only outcome. The City of Prescott has just purchased land sitting on top of one of the largest aquifers in the state. (Not that this is going to be an easy solution. There's plenty of water there, but it will still need to be managed correctly and for the good of not only the people but also the rivers, wildlife, etc) Water is the biggest problem where there are private wells involved (not regulated), and the latest word is that ADWR is going to change that situation. Supposedly new subdividers have to prove a water supply for 100 years. And I think the growth/sprawl is going to affect the flatter, easy-build areas to the north and east of Prescott.

What I think you might be missing, Ponderosa, is that because of Prescott's topography and all the National Forest surrounding Prescott that Prescott itself has no choice but to remain fairly unchanged. There's really not much buildable land available, and typical subdivisions are out of the question in the pines/boulders of Prescott. And hopefully, the City dads will realize what a unique town Prescott is and work to enhance what we have rather than try to compete with the urbanization of the surrounding communities. Time will tell, though. As far as getting away from it all, I love Springerville/Eager/Greer. Don't know how I'd make a living there, but definitely laid back.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:09 PM

Default gretchen

Surrounded by National Forests!!

Cannot grow!!

Sounds great to me. I really appreciate your statement about the City Fathers improving what you already have.

Maybe you should share these posts with those"city fathers."

Thanks for the info' you'll be hearing from me again.

gptaz

Old 12-14-2006, 10:40 PM

20 posts, read 97,154 times
Drawbacks to Prescott;
1. Traffic; Already Mentioned.
2. Local Residents aren't real friendly to new folks moving in, they have theirs, and would rather not share.
3. A lot of people move up there to get away from it all, so they often wish to remain to themselves.
4. Lack of Commerce = Lack of Middle Class. In General Terms, there are the Professionals, then the service industry, not a lot in between.
5. Housing can be tricky. When you are ready to buy, use a realtor that has a history in the area, with a good home inspector. Remember; this was originally a second home community, the building quality is all over the board. Houses are generally built in Mountains, on Granite, could lend to moisture issues, dry creeks start running in the most unique areas.
6. Hard to Plant; again you are on a mountain, if you want to plant anything, rent a demo hammer, because a shovel isn't going to get it.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:28 PM

85 posts, read 505,218 times
Primary issue is jobs, there are not many decent paying ones.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:39 AM

436 posts, read 681,480 times
Default What's not to like about Prescott?

It's a veritable paradise. You have tripped upon a near undiscovered gem. Few downsides at all. Air quality is pristine. Traffic is unheard of. Home costs are favorable. Wherever you are now, sell and move asap. Your new neighbors are overjoyed with the prospect of you joining them. You lucky devil!

Old 12-15-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Gretchen/Brian

Thanks, You 2 should run for the Chamber. My letter from you today has convinced me to still consider Prescott.

gptaz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott