Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:59 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times

Advertisements

There's a few homes between 2000-3000 sqft around 250k-300k up in Viewpoint I've been checking out by the park area. They're quite nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 02:08 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
I am 1 block North of the park myself. Nice quiet locale.
All power an and such is underground too so it's clean looking.

Old 12-18-2016, 08:44 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,447,634 times
OP here, revisiting the thread after 8 years! When I originally started this thread I had never actually been to Prescott Valley. Everything I knew about PV had been gathered via various online resources, including the City-Data Prescott forum. That would change in December, 2008 when I took a trip Prescott to become acquainted with the area and to look at homes.

Back in 2008 most of the US was still in the grips of the financial crisis and housing bubble burst. While in PV, I looked at many, many foreclosures. Everything I looked at was newish construction, and very affordable relative to Silicon Valley, where I was coming from. I liked the area but ultimately didn't end up buying there. At the end of the day it was a bit too quiet for me (emphasis on "for me") and after some reflection, I decided it was too far away from any family or friends.

I ended up buying a home in Las Vegas, NV. A completely different direction than Prescott Valley, right? I was born and raised in Las Vegas before my family moved to San Jose, CA many years ago. I still have family and friends in Las Vegas and I visit frequently. Again, like many other housing markets, Vegas had been decimated by the bursting housing bubble. There was so much bank owned inventory to choose from. I ended up buying a newish construction foreclosed home. It was bought primarily as an investment as I wasn't really sure I wanted to move back to Vegas when I ultimately retire.

I rented out the Vegas home for several years before deciding to sell it. Even with a property manager, I had issues come up that needed my attention. No real renter horror stories to relate, I just decided I didn't want to be an absentee landlord any longer. The Vegas home sold after being on the market for less than a week. The Vegas housing market was coming back pretty strong!

Now what do I do? I still want out of Silicon Valley some day. So, the housing hunt resumed. In 2010, a very good friend of mine who had also grown tired of the pace and crowding of the bay area, moved his family to Reno, NV. At the time he made the move, I wondered to myself "why Reno?" Since his relocation in 2010, I would visit him and his family a couple of times a year.

Wouldn't you know it - over the course of a few year of visiting Reno, the place had begun to grow on me. I started to think, hmmm, maybe this could be a retirement destination. As a bonus, there's no income tax in NV. Nice! To cut to the chase, I ended up buying a home in Reno. I am once again, an absentee landlord. I've been extremely fortunate to have the same great tenants since I bought the place.

My friend has been very happy with his move and assures me that I'm going to like it as well when I ultimately make the move. I hope he's right. The one certainty I have is that I want out of Silicon Valley. It is in many ways a magical place to live and work, but it is something of a double-edged sword. I'm ready to move on.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:44 AM

181 posts, read 348,767 times
Default Viewpoint

There are 4 areas of Viewpoint - West, East, North and Park Ridge (the gated community). They each have their own HOA.

East and west are at the front on respective side. They both go up to about where the park is. North is everything north of where east and west end - except the gated area, Park Ridge.

Currently only 2 builders active in Viewpoint North and they have limited lots - just 40ish that are filling in where Reed did not finish before the crash." They are both in the same area - to east of Viewpoint Drive. As to land north of where Dorn was or north of the current 40ish lots, I have not heard anything about any plans for any builder at this point. I am also not sure that 1200 more homes is even possible with what is left. Per tax records, it looks like there is about 100 acres left back there before you hit Poquito and existing homes in Poquito.

Part of what makes Viewpoint so popular is the more "lenient" and less expensive HOA. West is only $50 a year. North and east are $79 a year. Park Ridge, the gated, is higher. There are no amenities offered and they are more lenient, for example, you can keep an RV/5th wheel/travel trailer behind fence up to a certain length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr870 View Post
New homes? I have seen a couple of new ones that look interesting in the Viewpoint North area but, since I am not that familiar with the area, not sure what is considered Viewpoint North and just Viewpoint. The one we like for the design and layout is in Park Ridge but that is the one that we have questions about right now???? It's been a number of years since we have been house shopping so we feel a bit out of touch. Also, how are builders about including some upgrades or, do you just get the basic and pay through the nose for upgrades? My husband is pretty good at landscaping and bobcat work but, new homes have very little and the nice trees take a long time to get established. So much to think about to find the right area. We are hoping to move now and not move again for a very long time or, ever.

This site has been so great for all the helpful information so I thank all of you for assisting us in our search for a new home.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:07 AM

Wink PV Summary

My last post covered Viewpoint.

There are about 5 "areas" of PV. Of course there are the propers, which is everything between Fain/89 and 69 north and south and Fain/Glassford east and west (except Granville). The propers are divided into units. Each unit developed at different times and there were varied zoning laws. For example, some allowed multi-family and others did not. Unit 20 used to be the most popular, but as business along Glassford has developed, Unit 19 has become a tad more desired. There are other units that are good and then there are pockets as well. Check crime statistic websites and drive around to get a feel for other areas in the propers.

Then there is what I call North PV - this is Viewpoint, Pronghorn, Poquito, Coyote Springs and Antelope Meadows. This is everything north of Fain and sitting north of the propers. Coyote, Antelope, and Poquito are acreage and on well/septic. Viewpoint and Pronghorn are master-planned communities with HOAs. See previous post re: Viewpoint. Except Dorn, Reed, BDT and Reserve - all homes were built much like PV - semi-custom or smaller builders that picked up a few loots here and there and sold them. Pronghorn has had 3 builders - Dave Brown (the original builder/developer), Mandalay and now, Dorn. They do have amenities such as 2 pools, club house, sports courts, etc. HOA is about $600 a year. Important to know about Pronghorn is that the taxes are higher. They have a CDF/CFD. basically, it was created by the original developer to pay for infrastructure and it will expire, but I believe that expiration is still 10 pr more years out. Taxes on an 1800 square foot home will be about $500 a year higher in Pronghorn than a home in an area without a CDF/CFD.

Then you have Granville. Granville will be the largest master planned community in PV. Universal Homes built, in my estimate, 90% of homes in Granville. It is on both sides of Glassford Hill and will stretch all the way up to 89A/Fain. Granville has an HOA of $50 a month and amenities similar to Pronghorn. They do NOT have a CDF/CFD. They build a variety from the "duplexes" to single-family up to 3,000-4,000 square feet - and everything in between.

Stoneridge is down across 69. It tends to be pricier than the rest of PV. They probably have the best amenities in PV - including a heated indoor pool. Their HOA also includes garbage. They also have a CDF/CFD. Homes in there ran ge from townhomes to luxury homes.

The other area is what I call the northeast area. This is as you head towards Jerome on 89. Out there you will find typically larger homes on larger lots or acreage. There are several communities out there including Mingus West. Most are custom homes, but Mandalay is now building out there. If their models are not ready yet, they will be soon. There are no HOAs with any amenities, but many have more lenient rules that allow for RV parking, etc. This area is more remote and requires a short jaunt to get to nearly any services (i.e. food, stores, etc.).

I do also think it is worth noting that Prescott Country Club and Quailwood are listed by the postal service as Dewey, but their land has been annexed by PV. PCC is on septic, but town of PV water. The HOA in there is also very inexpensive and more lenient. It has developed much like the propers and have a variet of housing in it - newer to older, manufactured to luxury. There is a clubhouse, restaurant and pool. They have a gold course, but it is not included in the HOA.

Quailwood is a master planned community. They have a pool, clubhouse, playground, sports courts. They HOA is about $600 a year. They do have a CFD/CDF. Empire and Townsend were the original builders. After the crash - Dorn came in. There are townhomes and single family homes. Up to about 3,000 square feet.

I think that sums of PV. Happy to answer questions. Please forgive any typos

Old 12-20-2016, 02:20 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,255,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVAZno1 View Post

The other area is what I call the northeast area. This is as you head towards Jerome on 89. Out there you will find typically larger homes on larger lots or acreage. There are several communities out there including Mingus West. Most are custom homes, but Mandalay is now building out there. If their models are not ready yet, they will be soon. There are no HOAs with any amenities, but many have more lenient rules that allow for RV parking, etc. This area is more remote and requires a short jaunt to get to nearly any services (i.e. food, stores, etc.).
Did you say that Mingus West doesn't have an HOA? I've been looking at homes on realtor.com and it mentions an HOA there. We're looking for a home without an HOA. Thanks much.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:02 PM

Default Mingus West

Hi.

They do have an HOA, but, like Viewpoint and Prescott Country Club, it is very, very lenient. Any realtor or title company can get a hold of the CC&Rs for you which will breakdown what is allowed and not allowed. They do not have many restrictions at all. $78 a year for dues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Did you say that Mingus West doesn't have an HOA? I've been looking at homes on realtor.com and it mentions an HOA there. We're looking for a home without an HOA. Thanks much.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:57 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,255,842 times
Thanks much PVAZno1.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:39 AM

Default Pv

Very welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanne View Post
Thanks much PVAZno1.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:45 AM

479 posts, read 801,122 times
No HOA allowing you to paint your house pink & green also allows your neighbor to have cars in his yard up on jacks and his in-laws living out of a 1969 motorhome in their driveway....all stuff my FIL lives with in rural Colorado. One of his "neighbors" down the road (these are all 35 acre lots) has 4-6 school buses, hundreds of appliances spread around, multiple 70's era trailers as well as his manufactured home itself being a disaster. No thanks. I'll take am HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott