Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,404,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
2004 NFC championship on a cold miserable winter day. The images of the wind swirling, blowing trash everywhere and Dawk crying will never leave me.

Even though I wasn't born the 1960 NFL championship should be mentioned. Chuck Bednarik didn't leave the field, played both ways and special teams. The image of him after the last tackle is probably the best image in Eagle history.

Do any other Eagle fans here remember the Bounty Bowl? Thanksgiving 1989 the Eagles sacked Troy Aikman 11 times and Buddy Ryan supposedly put a bounty on the Dallas kicker.
Not an Eagles fan, but I'm a Cowboys hater. I thought the bounty went back and forth for a while? But yeah I remember the game. I remember Aikman laying on the field with a towel soaking up blood from a hit he took to the chin. I kind of liked those Eagle teams. Then Buddy Ryan came to AZ and made me hate him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 AM

219 posts, read 260,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
Music City Miracle. 1/8/2000. Buffalo at Tennessee - "THERE ARE NO - FLAGS - ON THE FIELD! IT'S A MIRACLE!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
and hopefully WHY they consider it such.
I had never watched or been a part of a game where a trick play worked to perfection at the end of a playoff game. They replayed the controversial play a thousand times from every angle after it happened and it couldn't have been closer to an illegal play.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,099,361 times
I'm a Raider fan since 1974 and they have played in many memorable games, but none were as memorable as what happened in the Orange Bowl, Jan 2nd, 1982.

The Charger/Dolphins playoff game.

1st quarter all Chargers 24-0

2nd quarter all Phins including the famous hook and latter play with 6 seconds left in the 1/2 (24-17)

with the score tied 38-38 and under a minute to go in the 4th, the fish had the ball at there own 40, they made it to the Charger 26 with 4 seconds left on the clock, Uwe Von Schamann (Dolphin kicker) was brought on to end it with a 43 yarder, Kellen Winslow blocked the kick.

OT- The Chargers won the toss and marched down the field Rolf Benirschke was brought on for the game winning 27 yarder he missed it.

Miami then moved down the field and once again brought out Von Schamann for the 34 yard field goal and the win and it was blocked again.

The Chargers then took over on the own 10 marched 74 yards and Benirschke drilled a 24 yarder for the win.

It's my vote for the greatest game in NFL history.

1981 Chargers/Dolphins Playoff Game Honored - San Diego Chargers by Glorifythepast.com (http://www.glorifythepast.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17578-1981-chargersdolphins - broken link)

Old 07-26-2010, 12:34 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
I'd have to say the 1970 Super Bowl in which Minnesota Viking, Joe Kapp threw for 6 touchdowns against Kansas City. Thinking back, I believe that first Super Bowl victory paved the way for the subsequent three additional wins over the next seven years and history may not have been as kind to the Vikings without that first Super Bowl triumph. Sure the Vikes have won a few others since then but that initial run is something I won't soon forget.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:49 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,072,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Not an Eagles fan, but I'm a Cowboys hater. I thought the bounty went back and forth for a while? But yeah I remember the game. I remember Aikman laying on the field with a towel soaking up blood from a hit he took to the chin. I kind of liked those Eagle teams. Then Buddy Ryan came to AZ and made me hate him.
Buddy Ryan was a hell of a coach. Not his fault Bidwell is a moron.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:57 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'd have to say the 1970 Super Bowl in which Minnesota Viking, Joe Kapp threw for 6 touchdowns against Kansas City. Thinking back, I believe that first Super Bowl victory paved the way for the subsequent three additional wins over the next seven years and history may not have been as kind to the Vikings without that first Super Bowl triumph. Sure the Vikes have won a few others since then but that initial run is something I won't soon forget.
AHEM!

Come on Purple Jesus, me thinks Ghengis is confused!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,038 times
At least slightly. The Vikes were the Bills of the olden days at the Super Bowl. 23-7 Chiefs, as I seem to recall from my hours upon hours of slinging fries at Howdy Beefburger. A most memorable game for me even if I was working at the time - with the radio on. Waiter! Give me whatever Ghengis is having.

Man, I was a KC fan in those days. My best friend was siding with the Raiders and I was humbled twice by him/them during the regular season. But it all ended on a proverbial high note. Len Dawson for President!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Man, I was a KC fan in those days. My best friend was siding with the Raiders and I was humbled twice by him/them during the regular season. But it all ended on a proverbial high note. Len Dawson for President!
Now Hubert Humphrey was a great President! Ironically enough, they named the Vikings current home after him for awhile.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,038 times
Agreed. But George McGovern ended the war and started hootenannies on every street corner. He even played fiddle on a few Pete Seeger songs.

And now we (hopefully) return you to your regularly scheduled thread about great and memorable games. You're up Scout_972.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,235 times
1992 NFC Championship Game: Cowboys 30 - SF 20

The Cowboys went on to win their first Super Bowl in 14 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football