U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-04-2014, 10:28 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,776,585 times
Reputation: 16146

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
The Chiefs lost because of so many key injuries but I did pick the Colts but missed the spread. Super fun game to watch if you don't care about defense.
The Chiefs didn't lose because of injuries. They lost because the defense fell apart in epic fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2014, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4,370 posts, read 5,144,310 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The Chiefs didn't lose because of injuries. They lost because the defense fell apart in epic fashion.


We did lose due to injury. When you lose nearly 5 pro bowlers in one game, it's going to slow you down period. I get sick of the NFL hating on the Chiefs. We lose 5 players and yet we are still in the game. What if the Donkeys lost one player? They would automatically drop down to the worse team in the league. Look forward to the Donkeys going home next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,544 posts, read 4,493,891 times
Reputation: 2477
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
The Chiefs lost because of so many key injuries but I did pick the Colts but missed the spread. Super fun game to watch if you don't care about defense.

No. They lost because they totally choked and the defense completely fell apart in the second half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Status: "Beach time!" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg/Virginia Beach, VA
10,678 posts, read 11,090,025 times
Reputation: 13950
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
We did lose due to injury. When you lose nearly 5 pro bowlers in one game, it's going to slow you down period. I get sick of the NFL hating on the Chiefs. We lose 5 players and yet we are still in the game. What if the Donkeys lost one player? They would automatically drop down to the worse team in the league. Look forward to the Donkeys going home next week.
Interesting theory. The Broncos have lost several players this season...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4,370 posts, read 5,144,310 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Interesting theory. The Broncos have lost several players this season...


And how many were KEY players. I know you're going to talk about Von Miller or Welker, but how many are as key as Jamaal Charles, Avery, or Justin Houston? The Donkeys only have 1 key player on their team. They lose "you know who" you basically have no team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4,370 posts, read 5,144,310 times
Reputation: 3896
I'll be pulling for the Bengals against the Chokers tomorrow. And I'm hoping SF does something in the playoffs this year. I want to see complete teams win championships. Not these one dimensional teams built around 1 or 2 players like the Chokers, Broncos, Green Bay, New England, etc. I guess the Seahawks are decent, but they're paper champions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Status: "Beach time!" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg/Virginia Beach, VA
10,678 posts, read 11,090,025 times
Reputation: 13950
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
And how many were KEY players. I know you're going to talk about Von Miller or Welker, but how many are as key as Jamaal Charles, Avery, or Justin Houston? The Donkeys only have 1 key player on their team. They lose "you know who" you basically have no team.
Okay. If you say so. If it makes you feel better to think the Broncos haven't been without "key" players this season, by all means. If it makes you feel better to believe that the Broncos have only one "key" players that's great, because then you are acknowledging that your Chiefs got beat twice this season by one guy. With a team that can be beat twice by one guy, it's amazing they were even in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 11:26 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4,370 posts, read 5,144,310 times
Reputation: 3896
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Okay. If you say so. If it makes you feel better to think the Broncos haven't been without "key" players this season, by all means. If it makes you feel better to believe that the Broncos have only one "key" players that's great, because then you are acknowledging that your Chiefs got beat twice this season by one guy. With a team that can be beat twice by one guy, it's amazing they were even in the playoffs.


I'm not going to lie to you, the Chiefs play way too much man coverage on defense. They never mix this up. And when you have a bad matchup like Decker vs Cooper, things go south fast. In the second game Manning consistently took advantage of that. In general, we're not that outmatched. However, I do think better defensive coaching is in order. It's VERY clear that we have weapons on defense, but we need smarter play calling. That is what it's really come down to in every loss we've been handed.


With that said, the key to beating the Broncos is clearly dominating the time of possession. We've already seen that the Broncos are vulnerable to the run, and can't really run the ball themselves. Each time you guys have loss, it's been due to a compotent defense, and an explosive offense. Every single time. Manning was a factor in your guys losing every freaking time. If I we're a Denver fan, I would be very afraid of being in the playoffs with such a suspect defense. And you better hope your main man decides to show up wherever you play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Status: "Beach time!" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg/Virginia Beach, VA
10,678 posts, read 11,090,025 times
Reputation: 13950
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I'm not going to lie to you, the Chiefs play way too much man coverage on defense. They never mix this up. And when you have a bad matchup like Decker vs Cooper, things go south fast. In the second game Manning consistently took advantage of that. In general, we're not that outmatched. However, I do think better defensive coaching is in order. It's VERY clear that we have weapons on defense, but we need smarter play calling. That is what it's really come down to in every loss we've been handed.


With that said, the key to beating the Broncos is clearly dominating the time of possession. We've already seen that the Broncos are vulnerable to the run, and can't really run the ball themselves. Each time you guys have loss, it's been due to a compotent defense, and an explosive offense. Every single time. Manning was a factor in your guys losing every freaking time. If I we're a Denver fan, I would be very afraid of being in the playoffs with such a suspect defense. And you better hope your main man decides to show up wherever you play.
Well, yeah... That combination has beaten a lot of teams in the league this year. It is a combination the Broncos themselves have used too. Despite the defense being unimpressive in most meaningful stats this year, they have had their moments. The Broncos used this combination to beat the Chiefs twice, in fact. In Denver they did play a conservative game, but the threat of explosive plays opened up a lot of safe options. In Kansas City the Broncos scored 28 straight points after trailing 21-7. You don't score 28 straight points without your defense doing something right.

As for the suspect defense, both the Chiefs and the Colts had statistically better defenses than the Broncos and look how good it did them. They were both statistically better defenses than the Eagles and Saints, yet that game (which featured two top flight offenses) was a pretty solid defensive performance by both sides.

You can't just look at a statistical ranking and write off a team's performance because of it. Now the Broncos do have some concerns on defense. Despite you thinking they are not missing any key players, they are. And many of them are as key to their schemes as some of the players you listed were to the Chiefs. Hell, the Broncos played only 4 or 5 games with the complete defense they designed this past off season.

So I am content to wait and see what's next for the Broncos. They will get either the Chargers or the Colts, both of which have beaten them already this year. But every game has its own personality. A regular season win does not necessarily translate into a playoff win, and we Broncos fans are as familiar with this truth as any. But I'm not going to sit around and worry about it. Any team remaining in the AFC slate has the ability to take it all the way. I like the Broncos chances as much as any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2014, 09:56 AM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,776,585 times
Reputation: 16146
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
And how many were KEY players. I know you're going to talk about Von Miller or Welker, but how many are as key as Jamaal Charles, Avery, or Justin Houston? The Donkeys only have 1 key player on their team. They lose "you know who" you basically have no team.
And how many points did they score without these "key" players? Sounds like you are just making excuses. They scored 44 points. I don't care who they lost on offense. Obviously it had minimal impact.

And to say Denver only has one key player is laughable and to downplay some of the players they did lose is just as laughable.

The defense played what may be the worst defensive performance in a half of football in a playoff game. One for the record books. Horrible tackling. Horrible coverage. Horrible strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top