Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 07:25 PM

796 posts, read 505,447 times

Advertisements

I see why Jags resigned Bortles but I still think they need more at the QB position. Opposing defenses gonna put like they did in the wildcard playoff game against Bills....8-9 man fronts to slow running game. If Bortles don't keep improving....a lot of pressure gonna be put on running game and defense.

But Bortles did play well enough to win against Steelers and Pats and I can understand why Jags don't wanna overpay for a FA like Cousins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:22 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Opposing defenses gonna put like they did in the wildcard playoff game against Bills....8-9 man fronts to slow running game. If Bortles don't keep improving....a lot of pressure gonna be put on running game and defense.
I think the offensive problems in the wild card game were more by design. Jags knew they were playing a bad offense and figured their defense could do the job, which they did. No need for Bortles and company to risk a turnover when 10-14 points would win you the game.

We saw a different Bortles and offense when the Jags played the Steelers and Patriots because the Jags coaches knew they would have to score a lot to be in those games.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:29 PM

796 posts, read 505,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I think the offensive problems in the wild card game were more by design. Jags knew they were playing a bad offense and figured their defense could do the job, which they did. No need for Bortles and company to risk a turnover when 10-14 points would win you the game.

We saw a different Bortles and offense when the Jags played the Steelers and Patriots because the Jags coaches knew they would have to score a lot to be in those games.
True....but I still think Jags gonna need more from QB to get to SB and actually win it. There gonna be games where Bortles gonna have to win with arm and air it out.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:09 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
True....but I still think Jags gonna need more from QB to get to SB and actually win it. There gonna be games where Bortles gonna have to win with arm and air it out.
If they hadn't deviated from the Steeler game plan they could well have been in the Super Bowl. The Pats defense gave up an average of 250 yds per game rushing and going conservative with Bortles in terms of running the ball was counterintuitive in my opinion and feel they caved to a mystique versus getting outplayed.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:25 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,703 times
Quote:
I see why Jags resigned Bortles but I still think they need more at the QB position. Opposing defenses gonna put like they did in the wildcard playoff game against Bills....8-9 man fronts to slow running game. If Bortles don't keep improving....a lot of pressure gonna be put on running game and defense.

But Bortles did play well enough to win against Steelers and Pats and I can understand why Jags don't wanna overpay for a FA like Cousins.

It's a mistake on Jacksonville's part. For his career, Bortles has a 59.1% completion rate and has averaged 6.7 yards per attempt. Both of those numbers are bad. In 2017, he had a 60.2% completion rate and averaged 7.0 yards per attempt. Both numbers are still a little subpar, even in a season where they went deep into the playoffs. Essentially, the Jags have seen the best that Bortles can give them and it just isn't enough. He's subpar most of the time.

People will probably ridicule me for saying it but if money were the issue, then the Jags could have likely gotten McCarron or Bridgewater with that same $54 million over 3 years deal that they gave Bortles. Both are question marks but both have some theoretical ceiling remaining. Bortles has none, as we know what he is.

In admittedly a very limited time span, McCarron started several games for the Bengals in 2015 and played in 7 games total. In those games he had a 66.4% completion rate and averaged 7.2 yards per attempt.

For his career (which, admittedly has been limited due to a very serious knee injury), Bridgewater has a 64.7% completion rate and has averaged 7.2 yards per attempt.

While I recognize that I am not shooting him with McCarron and Bridgewater, I do think there is at least some ceiling left with them, as they don't have a long track record but I think those ceilings could be higher than Bortles' ceiling (a completion percentage of around 60 percent and a yards-per-attempt of around 6.7 to 7.0). They could both easily be busts but there is at least some hope\element of the unknown. We already know Bortles isn't good at all.

I personally would have gone with one of those guys and given Bortles his walking papers. I know that they probably found that tough to do, as they made it to the AFC Championship game but the truth is that it isn't often that you see a team with a mediocre-to-below-average QB nearly make it to the Super Bowl. I think there was a good bit of luck in it and that this time next year the Jags will realize that keeping Bortles around was a mistake.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:17 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
https://www.news4jax.com/sports/jagu...ing-to-reports

Old 03-19-2018, 08:55 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
The Jags picked up Pro Bowl TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins and resigned WR Marqise Lee along with a couple of other receivers, plus a free agent Guard. It would seem a top round QB is on the horizon.

https://blackandteal.com/2018/03/16/...018-nfl-draft/

Old 09-16-2018, 08:11 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Well--if anyone doubts about the Jaguars after their great season last year, uh I think they are here to stay. Stats for today's game against New England--

Halftime score--Jags 21, Pats 3
Total yards-- 481 Jags, 302 Pats
Blake Bortles--29 for 45 for 377 yards and 4 touchdowns

But IMO the key stat in this game for Jacksonville is 3rd down completion rate---10 for 14.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:16 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
That was a hell of a catch. Would sure like to trade Demaryus Thomas for him.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:20 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
Bortles bested Belichick & Brady in what may have been the best game of his career. Too bad they couldn't hold on during the AFC Championship but this has to make Jacksonville feel great. They also won without Fournette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football