Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:43 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
John Elway at #23 and Peyton Manning at #8. LOL!

Whatever NFL Network says, I guess.
If not for Terrell Davis, Elway might be closer to 80...
Elway jumped 50 spots in everyone's eyes after he got a HOF caliber RB.. funny how that works..

Don't get me wrong, I loved watching Elway play. He is easily top 3 of the greatest QBs i ever saw but in the media's eyes, he was nothing but hype until he won those 2 SBs, now he is one of the greatest of all times..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:00 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,581 times
Remember in the mid 90's when Favre, Young, Aikman and all those dude were at it?

When hitting the 3,000 yard mark meant you were a totally legit QB lol...

Now if you end the season with 3,000 you're a game-managing bum.

Sometimes I wish we could take the Starrs, Namaths, Bradshaws and Staubachs and put them in today's NFL and just watch.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The Only QB I might swap Dawson with on this list would be Namath. I think Namath gets on mostly due to SB III. In fairness, he didn't have a great game in SB III, he just didn't make any mistakes. Matt Snell should have been the MVP..

A perfect example of a Qb not losing the game for you which was way more common back then when running the ball was more important than passing at least in the NFL. If you think about it, the AFL was a passing league and the NFL was a running league but the Jets beat the Colts at their on game, running the ball and playing great defense.. but that is another story for another day.

Namath had a great couple of years but was hampered with bad knees for most of his career.
Agreed!

The Lenox Hill knee brace was popularized by Joe Namath--seriously! The Jets team doctor/surgeon was Dr. James Nicholas. In the NFL Films bio "America's Game-the 1968 New York Jets" Namath quoted Dr. Nicholas after Joes THIRD knee surgery--"Joe, the operation went well, we think you can play five years.'I know about that Lenox Hill brace, I wore one of those for over a decade. I blew 3 ligaments in my right knee in my first year of college ball (1969). The surgeon who worked on mine was Denver Bronco team doctor/surgeon John Leidholt.

Namath eventually played 12 seasons. In a different NFL films special on Super Bowl III, Will McDonough stated, "most people don't know this, but Ewbank only sent in maybe a half dozen plays. Other than that, Namath called all the others." I wasn't aware of THAT!

The comments on Snell? Yeppirs!

Old 01-13-2015, 02:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Remember in the mid 90's when Favre, Young, Aikman and all those dude were at it?

When hitting the 3,000 yard mark meant you were a totally legit QB lol...

Now if you end the season with 3,000 you're a game-managing bum.

Sometimes I wish we could take the Starrs, Namaths, Bradshaws and Staubachs and put them in today's NFL and just watch.
with the rules today regarding pass interference, those guys would shred defenses today. remember back in their days, you had to practically mug the receiver to get called for pass interference. these days if you look at the receiver cross eyed its pass interference.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:39 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
The trouble with stats is, you look at them long enough, they can be skewed to get almost any viewpoint you want.
^^ Yep.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:29 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Elway was way behind the great QBs when it comes to things like reading a defense, touch, accuracy, and pocket presence. He just had a cannon

Old 01-14-2015, 04:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

The Lenox Hill knee brace was popularized by Joe Namath--seriously! The Jets team doctor/surgeon was Dr. James Nicholas. In the NFL Films bio "America's Game-the 1968 New York Jets" Namath quoted Dr. Nicholas after Joes THIRD knee surgery--"Joe, the operation went well, we think you can play five years.'I know about that Lenox Hill brace, I wore one of those for over a decade. I blew 3 ligaments in my right knee in my first year of college ball (1969). The surgeon who worked on mine was Denver Bronco team doctor/surgeon John Leidholt.

Namath eventually played 12 seasons. In a different NFL films special on Super Bowl III, Will McDonough stated, "most people don't know this, but Ewbank only sent in maybe a half dozen plays. Other than that, Namath called all the others." I wasn't aware of THAT!
In Namath's autobiography, "I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow 'Cause I Get Better Looking Every Day" he talks about his knees a lot. He said whenever he had to run with the ball Weeb would run along the sidelines yelling, "Run out of bounds, Joe! Run out of bounds!" Namath said the sight of Weeb trying to run was so comical he always cracked up.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:48 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Tom Brady has to be in this discussion

marino doesn't have one ring.... brady has 3 and possibly a 4th this yr

Tom Brady Breaks Joe Montana's NFL Record For Postseason Touchdown Passes

Tom Brady Breaks Record for Most Postseason Passing Yards, TDs in NFL History | Bleacher Report

1.brady and roger staubach hold the record for most wins in their first 100 career starts which is 76

Tom Brady has unseated Peyton Manning, at least temporarily. Brady leapfrogged Manning for the most career passing yards in NFL playoff history

This year, New England won their sixth consecutive division title; only the 1973-79 Los Angeles Rams did better. The Patriots are the first team in NFL history to win 11 division championships in a 12-year span

Brady will be going to his sixth superbowl????
how many other quarterbacks can say that??

Fun Fact: No team in the NFL has a winning record against Tom Brady - CBSSports.com

Old 01-16-2015, 12:44 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Tom Brady has to be in this discussion

marino doesn't have one ring.... brady has 3 and possibly a 4th this yr

Tom Brady Breaks Joe Montana's NFL Record For Postseason Touchdown Passes

Tom Brady Breaks Record for Most Postseason Passing Yards, TDs in NFL History | Bleacher Report

1.brady and roger staubach hold the record for most wins in their first 100 career starts which is 76

Tom Brady has unseated Peyton Manning, at least temporarily. Brady leapfrogged Manning for the most career passing yards in NFL playoff history

This year, New England won their sixth consecutive division title; only the 1973-79 Los Angeles Rams did better. The Patriots are the first team in NFL history to win 11 division championships in a 12-year span

Brady will be going to his sixth superbowl????
how many other quarterbacks can say that??

Fun Fact: No team in the NFL has a winning record against Tom Brady - CBSSports.com
I think throwing brady's playoff and Super Bowl successes out there is essentially saying that guys like Dan Marino (for example) would have not had equal success if he was in Brady's exact situation. I'd feel pretty confident to say that Marino's success would have been just as good as Brady's....than we would be viewing Marino in a whole new light if he had Super Bowls and whatnut.

Swap Montana and Marino and give Joe no SBs and let Marino play on those Walsh 49ers teams and a LOT changes.

Its REALLY hard to make a case for a QBs greatness on playoff wins and Super Bowls. All the top all time QBs would have won multiple SBs in the right cirumstances.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:48 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,769,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
I think throwing brady's playoff and Super Bowl successes out there is essentially saying that guys like Dan Marino (for example) would have not had equal success if he was in Brady's exact situation. I'd feel pretty confident to say that Marino's success would have been just as good as Brady's....than we would be viewing Marino in a whole new light if he had Super Bowls and whatnut.

Swap Montana and Marino and give Joe no SBs and let Marino play on those Walsh 49ers teams and a LOT changes.

Its REALLY hard to make a case for a QBs greatness on playoff wins and Super Bowls. All the top all time QBs would have won multiple SBs in the right cirumstances.
Yes, good post. Marino had better natural quarterback skills than Montana and Brady. Hell, give Marino the team/support Montana had (on defense and offense) and there is no telling how many rings he'd have. And I am from California (where Brady is from and Montana played professionally). Marino was an awesome quarterback...I'd take him all day over those other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football