Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:17 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,306 times

Advertisements

Brett Favre makes too many boneheaded plays to be considered an elite QB. He has shown a great, strong and accurate arm over many years but also the penchant for making rediculous plays. With the game on the line and a chance for a drive to end it last night against the Giants he throws a ball he has no business throwing, gets picked, the Giants go on to score and win. The last time he was in the NFC championship game at Philly he did the same thing. He's given the Packers some wins through the years but he's also been responsible for really stupid throws that have cost his team the game. Did Montana, Elway, Marino or Young consistently make such boneheaded throws throughout their careers? I would understand this if had been in the league for only 3 years but he's like an 18 year veteran and it never changes. He's 12-10 lifetime in the PO's.

Where would Brett Favre be without the West Coast offense? What if he actually had to throw the ball downfield more often? One of the reasons Mike Holmgren always sat on leads (7 pts no less) was that he never trusted BF to throw the ball downfield, always fearing another pick.

He says the records don't matter to him but this is complete BS! After he threw the TD record at the Metrodome this year he was jumping around like he just won the Super Bowl! He's very aware of the records despite his "aw shuks" persona with the media. He even made mention how important the consc. games streak was to him when he was on the painkillers. I think one of the main reasons he came back this year was precisely because he was so close to so many records. I think he'll play again next year to pad his stats. Two years ago when the GB Packers were 3 and whatever he started and played in almost every minuete of every game. There was no reason at all they could not have played Aaron Rodgers more that year but they had to keep BF in to keep getting his stats. I even understand letting him start the games to keep his streak in tact as you could argue he shouldn't lose that b/c the team was bad but there was simply no reason for him to play so many mins. when the Pack were 3-10.

Everybody seems to forget that he was very vocal this offseason towards the front office saying how the Packers should've signed Randy Moss and when they didn't he told his agent to request a trade. He has subsequently denied this of course but the Milwaukee media has reported this during the past offseason.

He has a tendency to throw high to recievers and get them hurt as well. Just ask Robert Brooks or even Donald Driver about that.

He has lost alot of accuracy on his ball over the last 3 years. He'll always be able to chuck the ball downfield 60 yards but his accuracy has diminished quite a bit. Even the beat writers for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal have said that and quoted various front office and player personnel people in the NFL who'll say that.

Antother thing that bothers me about such a highly esteemed QB is that he has been, at various points throughout his career, afraid to take hits. Remember the PO game at Lambeau against the Vikings when if he just would have dove near the goal line he would have got a first down? There have been other instances but yet his rep. is of a "tough guy" in the league. At 35 he didn't have the courage to do what John Elway did in SB 32 against the Packers. How ironic. And I hate Elway.

He was lucky to win one SB on a loaded team. He was just a part of that team with Desmond Howard winning the MVP of that game. Reggie White coming to GB had a bigger influence on the Packers than BF has. It was Reggie White who gave small GB credibility throughout the rest of the NFL and inparticular to many of the (black) players that signed on as free agents. The 96 Packers defense was just as good as the 85 Bears statistically.

Finally, I must say, I was completely embarrassed to be a Packer fan a few weeks back when Brett Favre was standing in the cold of Soldier Field with a look on his face like he just couldn't stand to be there. He looked like he was being tortured or something, as though he didn't care if they won or lost. He had a similar look on his face last night. I mean, they're from GB for criseakes!

I really think he's got his one ring, many of the records, all the money he could ask for, all the fame, a spot in the hall, what's left for him but to pad his stats? I just don't think he really cares anymore. Watching the press conference last night there was no real emotion, just a few shrugs of the shoulders like it was no big deal. I expect more from him. Mostly, I expect him to, after 18 years in the league, stop making such absurd throws he has no business making. I can't think of another big time QB that makes such plays, afterall, he's also the all-time Interception leader as well. Brett Favre is the most overrated QB to play in the NFL over the last 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,403 times
I agree somewhat to what you said because after being that long in the NFL you would think he'd stop doing those dumb throws. We had so many chances last night to beat the giants. Favre seems to suck really bad in the important games.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:26 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
No, he's just old and weary. Give the guy a break. Poor guy won't know what to do with himself if and when ever he leaves football. He can only make so many Wrangler commercials.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,852 times
He did lead a young team (the youngest averaged one, I think?) to more wins than anyone expected. But he very well may be the NFL's Trevor Hoffman.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:40 PM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Personally, I feel sorry for Brett Favre, the team, and the fans.

If he'd have gone up top and scorched the Giants in OT like he did against the Broncos, he'd have been a genius. But the Giants wouldn't let that happen.

Note to Bum's son: the better team won. Reference; SCOREBOARD.

Instead, he threw the interception. Hey, they had their chances. It didn't happen for him. Should he retire now? Maybe. I think he has a year left in him, but that can be argued. I think that for personal reasons, he should retire. Like Elway, there comes a time when the body can't do it anymore. Unfortunately, the player is the last one to get the hint. Reference; Emit Smith, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Bart Starr, etc. Granted, none would have thought the lesser if these guys would have retired earlier.

I'm sure Brett would have liked to go out on top. I give him credit for that.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:42 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,982,154 times
He's been making awful decisions for the last few years. It's like he expects to just get lucky half the time.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:20 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,060,863 times
This is redicilous, absolutely redicilous. If it wasn't for Favre, you wouldn't even be in the position to go to the Super Bowl. Not to mention the two Super Bowl appearances and the one Super Bowl win. He's the iron man of the NFL, a first ballot hall of famer that has been the face of your franchise. One of the classiest, good guys in the NFL. He had one bad interception last night, now you're throwing him under the bus!! How about the lack of running game? The play calling? Soft Defense? Or just the fact that the Giants were the "Better" team. The Pack didn't lose that game, the Giants won it. Cut the guy some slack.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
^^^ exactly. great post. i would've been disappointed if the Giants lost, but if I were to pick a team/player to lose against, it'd be Green Bay/Favre.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:52 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
This is redicilous, absolutely redicilous. If it wasn't for Favre, you wouldn't even be in the position to go to the Super Bowl. Not to mention the two Super Bowl appearances and the one Super Bowl win. He's the iron man of the NFL, a first ballot hall of famer that has been the face of your franchise. One of the classiest, good guys in the NFL. He had one bad interception last night, now you're throwing him under the bus!! How about the lack of running game? The play calling? Soft Defense? Or just the fact that the Giants were the "Better" team. The Pack didn't lose that game, the Giants won it. Cut the guy some slack.

The giants sucked if they were good they would have killed us we just sucked and they sucked too.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
I don't think Brett Favre sould be condemned because he made some mistakes in the twilight of his career. The man is a phenomenal QB, no question about that. He has torched the Niners enough times over the years to gain my respect. I consider him a great QB, period.

I say he should play as long as he is able. One day, he will be like many retired athletes: missing the glory days and being around the action. Hard to replace this excitement and rush in one's private life. I don't blame him for trying to prolong this transition for as long as possible.

Kudos to Favre. He certainly has been great for the game and great to watch. Happy he's coming back and I wish him well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football