Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 05:31 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I wonder if they will come after the Patriots at some point, for being too nationalistic.
I doubt it, but the Alabama Crackers might have to bend their will at some point.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:43 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,711,345 times
"We'll never change the name. It's that simple. NEVER—you can use caps."
--Daniel Snyder, 2013

2020:
Quote:
"In light of recent events around our country and feedback from our community, the Washington Redskins are announcing the team will undergo a thorough review of the team's name. This review formalizes the initial discussions the team has been having with the league in recent weeks."
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/d...ficials-fedex/

TRANSLATION:
"We're changing the team name because it looks like it might start eating into my profit margin. But first we're going to go through a months-long dance of pretending to thoughtfully consider whether or not to change it before we eventually announce the already-made decision to change the name. In the meantime, I hope to make a boatload of money selling 'Redskins' stuff to people rushing to scoop it up before it's no longer available!"

Old 07-04-2020, 06:02 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Pigskins

Old 07-04-2020, 07:06 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
I have, over the years, seen many articles and commentary about how many nicknames and mascots are offensive. Heck, I have even tried to write a few.

Thing is, football is a contact sport, a rough and tumble fight each and every play designed to physically overpower and outright physically dominate the player in the way.
I think many team names reflect this aspect. Redskins (potatoes or peanuts aside) lends an idea to a relentless band of warriors out to do battle. Kind of like a football team.

If our nation has gone too far with all the political correctness, then perhaps football by nature is politically incorrect. maybe we should take a lesson from Southpark and play sarcastaball instead.

But football is not about being politically incorrect, it is not about being nice, and it is not about being going out on the field with a name like "Washington Friends"
It is about names that evoke warriors, like Redskins, Chiefs, Raiders, or hard workers like Steelers or Cowboys, or heritage like Texans or Patriots or some nasty bird of prey, like an Eagle or a Falcon, or a Red Cardinal that would rather peck a hole in your hand than take the seed from it that you are offering it.

OK so people are offended by the Redskins logo. Well, sorry world, get over it. There are probably people who are offended by my screen name being a reference to a fat cat that I had as a pet in college. So what.? There are numerous people who are offended by the name of the Cleveland team, and 90% of them probably do not even know from Where that name originated !!!! (The name of that team, BTW, is not the problem, but the results on the field are. Let's get the priority straight)

Many people who complain about these names, seriously, are not even football fans. yes, it is true, but there are people who do not even like football in this country! Sad, but they obviously like to complain because I have not heard any diatribe from any football fans saying "Oh Oh We need to make the team in Washington D.C. change that name because it is offensive." The attacks seem to come from outside of the fan base for the most part.

So keep that in mind. And hey, on another note, Ole Miss is still the Rebels, Lane Kiffin is the new coach, and in a couple of years, the SEC West is going to be a battleground of powerhouse teams. What will happen when Ole Miss cracks the top 20 and people suddenly find out that the team is named "the Rebels"? RIght now, most people probably do not even know that, but when the team starts Winning, and they will win, then people will know. And probably complain, too.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:47 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,048,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I have, over the years, seen many articles and commentary about how many nicknames and mascots are offensive. Heck, I have even tried to write a few.

Thing is, football is a contact sport, a rough and tumble fight each and every play designed to physically overpower and outright physically dominate the player in the way.
I think many team names reflect this aspect. Redskins (potatoes or peanuts aside) lends an idea to a relentless band of warriors out to do battle. Kind of like a football team.

If our nation has gone too far with all the political correctness, then perhaps football by nature is politically incorrect. maybe we should take a lesson from Southpark and play sarcastaball instead.

But football is not about being politically incorrect, it is not about being nice, and it is not about being going out on the field with a name like "Washington Friends"
It is about names that evoke warriors, like Redskins, Chiefs, Raiders, or hard workers like Steelers or Cowboys, or heritage like Texans or Patriots or some nasty bird of prey, like an Eagle or a Falcon, or a Red Cardinal that would rather peck a hole in your hand than take the seed from it that you are offering it.

OK so people are offended by the Redskins logo. Well, sorry world, get over it. There are probably people who are offended by my screen name being a reference to a fat cat that I had as a pet in college. So what.? There are numerous people who are offended by the name of the Cleveland team, and 90% of them probably do not even know from Where that name originated !!!! (The name of that team, BTW, is not the problem, but the results on the field are. Let's get the priority straight)

Many people who complain about these names, seriously, are not even football fans. yes, it is true, but there are people who do not even like football in this country! Sad, but they obviously like to complain because I have not heard any diatribe from any football fans saying "Oh Oh We need to make the team in Washington D.C. change that name because it is offensive." The attacks seem to come from outside of the fan base for the most part.

So keep that in mind. And hey, on another note, Ole Miss is still the Rebels, Lane Kiffin is the new coach, and in a couple of years, the SEC West is going to be a battleground of powerhouse teams. What will happen when Ole Miss cracks the top 20 and people suddenly find out that the team is named "the Rebels"? RIght now, most people probably do not even know that, but when the team starts Winning, and they will win, then people will know. And probably complain, too.
1. I don't know about the world but this country is NOT getting over it. It's only matter of time but the team in Washington WILL change it's name - and then EVERYONE will have to get over it.
2. Just like ALL of those statues that honored the traitors of this country that came tumbling down, ANY
name that honors those traitors between 1861 and 1865 NEEDS to be removed - and this is NOT a black
or slavery thing. This is a United States of America thing. To honor those traitors has ALWAYS been
disgusting and traitorous. Instead of being honored, they should have been hanged.
3. ... and YES - I'm a diehard football fan.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:00 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
1. I don't know about the world but this country is NOT getting over it. It's only matter of time but the team in Washington WILL change it's name - and then EVERYONE will have to get over it.
2. Just like ALL of those statues that honored the traitors of this country that came tumbling down, ANY
name that honors those traitors between 1861 and 1865 NEEDS to be removed - and this is NOT a black
or slavery thing. This is a United States of America thing. To honor those traitors has ALWAYS been
disgusting and traitorous. Instead of being honored, they should have been hanged.

And then.. They'll come for you.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:11 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
burning books doesn't change history

Old 07-05-2020, 12:32 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Will not be long before the Indians, Braves, and Chiefs will also change their names. It will not matter to me. I will not be watching.

Gee, I wonder if police and fire departments will be eliminating the rank of Chief?

Old 07-05-2020, 12:34 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Pigskins

Or Foreskins

Old 07-05-2020, 06:14 PM

255 posts, read 69,432 times
Look for the PC brigade to come after the Tomahawk Chop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football