Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 02:14 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,048,180 times

Advertisements

I would think that "Americans", which is one of the names that I've read, would be a far better name than "Code Talkers".

Old 07-14-2020, 04:10 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Rumor has it, the name favored by the organization is "Redwolves", however there may be a "trademark" issue with it.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:56 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Rumor has it, the name favored by the organization is "Redwolves", however there may be a "trademark" issue with it.
That would be a pretty sweet name, in my opinion

Old 07-14-2020, 07:32 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,865,290 times
I’m surprised it took this long, and the name change didn’t happen 20 years ago.

I just hope Washington DC goes with something related to the area. I hate when teams go with names like the Bears or Lions. There’s no bears and lions in Chicago and Detroit. So pass regarding the red wolf name.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:53 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I am indigenous and grew up on a reservation near the Four Corners. My honest opinion is that the team owners, players, and coaches had been using the name with reverence. Where it falls apart is the spectrum of fan behavior. Many fans were also respectful and saw the name with pride. The problem is that there were some fans who portrayed very negative stereotypes and behavior during games that mocked the indigenous people. Such fans would yell something racist like "Go Reds---s. Sc-lp the Cowboys" while wearing tribal regalia and redface paint. So, mathematically in terms of statistical demographics, there did exist a subset of fans that displayed pejorative, offensive behavior with slurs, stereotypes, etc. But the key word there is "subset". There were many fans who were completely in line with trying to be politically correct despite the name.

So that subset of fans on the negative spectral side of behavior ruined it for the team and the others who were not like that. It really came down to that badly-behaving subset of fans in my opinion. I don't think the team itself was disrespectful. Many of the players and staff were minorities: African American, Samoans, Hispanics, etc. I would suspect going back into the history of players that a few even had partial indigenous ancestry. They really did try to own up to the aspect of pride. But in the end it just didn't workout - especially in the current political climate.

Blame it on the "subset" of fans with bad behavior. The subtitle of this youtube video says it all.
Ironically, the history of genocide reveals that scalp bounty systems were used by European Colonists at times to kill off tribes. In Mexico, an adult male Apache scalp was worth 100 pesos, a female Apache scalp was worth 50 pesos, and an Apache child's scalp was 25 pesos. In modern times, these bounty systems imposed by the colonial governments is usually forgotten or ignored. The mainstream view is just blame the Indians for it - and the word was often used by fans during those Washington games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8jmWNccrLM

Those Washington fans should read this historical excerpt from the University of Virginia nearby.
The Scalp Industry
Your perspective follows the way I feel and I appreciate it coming from someone that is Native American. Having talked to several Indian acquaintances that I have over many years, it's what they feel as well. It's not really the name, but the actions of fans that are disrespectful.

I'm not Native American, but being from South Dakota I know many that are. If you want to talk about disrespectful, it's that damn tomahawk chop while the whole crowd does that horrendous chant. It pisses me off every time I hear it at an Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Chiefs, AND WORST OF ALL the Florida State Seminoles games. I will root for ANY team playing that disgusting team and it's fan base.

I like the KC Chiefs and hope that they don't buckle under to the PC crowd craziness going on. Besides, how is the title Chiefs disrespectful? Same with the titles Braves and Warriors. That to me are words that honor the Native American people. I say to KC fans and to the organization, stop with the chop and chant. With this "movement" going on, now is the time to get this stopped.

I will say that the title Redskins is suspect. Maybe it is time to change this one.

We once had a small private college in SD called the Huron Scalpers (I ain't kidding) which was without question to me, demeaning. The school changed it to the Huron Tribe later on before the whole school folded.

Last edited by jmgg; 07-14-2020 at 08:42 AM..

Old 07-14-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I’m surprised it took this long, and the name change didn’t happen 20 years ago.

I just hope Washington DC goes with something related to the area. I hate when teams go with names like the Bears or Lions. There’s no bears and lions in Chicago and Detroit. So pass regarding the red wolf name.
I agree. To match what Washington DC is really all about the name should be the Washington Swamp Creatures.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:43 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

...that damn tomahawk chop while the whole crowd does that horrendous chant.

Bill Burr has some good comments about that at 2:40 in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n3WgiMftaU

Would it be acceptable to name the Washington Football Club "Potomacs" in reference to the tribe that inhabited the area? Also changing the logo to an accurate depiction of a Potomac person?

Old 07-14-2020, 09:52 AM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I am indigenous and grew up on a reservation near the Four Corners. My honest opinion is that the team owners, players, and coaches had been using the name with reverence. Where it falls apart is the spectrum of fan behavior. Many fans were also respectful and saw the name with pride. The problem is that there were some fans who portrayed very negative stereotypes and behavior during games that mocked the indigenous people. Such fans would yell something racist like "Go Reds---s. Sc-lp the Cowboys" while wearing tribal regalia and redface paint. So, mathematically in terms of statistical demographics, there did exist a subset of fans that displayed pejorative, offensive behavior with slurs, stereotypes, etc. But the key word there is "subset". There were many fans who were completely in line with trying to be politically correct despite the name.

The main 'subset' that did that was.. Chief Zee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Zee

Old 07-14-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Bill Burr has some good comments about that at 2:40 in this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n3WgiMftaU

Would it be acceptable to name the Washington Football Club "Potomacs" in reference to the tribe that inhabited the area? Also changing the logo to an accurate depiction of a Potomac person?
In our "easily offended" life we're now stuck with I say get as far away from any nickname that has people in it. My god, could you even imagine the movie classic Blazing Saddles being made now? Mel Brook's house would be burnt down and he would need armed body guards to go anywhere. All the "woke" Hollywood crowd would have also had him permanently blackballed.

Old 07-14-2020, 12:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Change it to whatever they please. Even give me tickets. I wont watch. I gave up on them decades ago. Washington Losers in my book. They havent disappointed there.
This is so hard for me: I have been a Redskins fan since I don't know when but before we even moved to DC in 1981 If I still had a Redskins flag I would fly it today and from now on probably but now I have to wonder where my loyalty will end up. This political crab has to stop some where. For the most part the native Americans didn't care so why do we always have to be PC> yes, there are some names that I could see might be offensive but this is going to far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football