Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 07:58 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,259,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I grew up a skins fan having grown up in the 70's outside of DC. I won't be crushed with a name change, but it is what it is.

Ironically the current logo was designed by a gentleman that is a Blackfoot Indian.

https://406mtsports.com/football/was...713ee3997.html

Although I know it won't happen, I think a consultation with the tribe (which is here in Montana) for a name change to 'Blackfeet' would have been an interesting solution. There's a lot of pride in the tribe, and maybe a modest cut on merchandising fees to benefit indigenous peoples causes would help to alleviate some of the issues we're facing today.

Just wishful thinking, but I certainly think it would a great way to honor the man and the tribe that helped to develop the logo.
Yeah, unfortunately, if the liberals won't accept how the name and logo came about before, no way they would understand and accept a change to "Blackfeet". It would still be "racially insensitive".

I think the Redskins want to keep their color scheme, but I think they are going to pick a more generic name just so they don't have to ever deal with this crap ever again

Old 07-13-2020, 08:58 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,421,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I doubt that they will name the team Warriors, especially with the spear, because it won't be looked upon, by the people who are doing the most complaining, as much of a change. Redtails is a stupid name but, at least, it is the name of the first black air force squadron in WWII. I have no idea what a Redhawk is. Is there such a bird or is that a made up name?
Most of the hawks we see are Red Tailed Hawks. I actually like the name, they can still use the same colors and feathers and just apply them to a hawk and not a group of people. I also love how Snyder's hand was forced by his sponsors, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:13 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,048,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Most of the hawks we see are Red Tailed Hawks. I actually like the name, they can still use the same colors and feathers and just apply them to a hawk and not a group of people. I also love how Snyder's hand was forced by his sponsors, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
I guess you know that the name Redskins is supposed to end today.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:34 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,627,647 times
This sums it up pretty well from a local twitter feed (slow news in Green Bay):

The only people praising Dan Snyder today are paid to do so (Nagler)

Jeremy Layton: You may be tempted to praise Dan Snyder today, but before you do, please remember that he arrogantly resisted this name change for years and is only doing so now because his sponsorship money was threatened

Old 07-13-2020, 10:40 AM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
Change it to whatever they please. Even give me tickets. I wont watch. I gave up on them decades ago. Washington Losers in my book. They havent disappointed there.

Old 07-13-2020, 12:12 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,565,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Change it to whatever they please. Even give me tickets. I wont watch. I gave up on them decades ago. Washington Losers in my book. They havent disappointed there.
Snyder has been a terrible owner & strategist. He's recruited aging, irrelevant QBs.. reduced Washington to a doormat.. FedEx is virtually empty (minus visiting fans). His only positive imo, is that he defended the legacy & intent of the Redskins name.. Snyder created a charitable foundation to support American Indian tribes in need (Original Americans Foundation).. but it still wasn't enough for the Social Justice Inquisition that demanded a grand, but superficial sacrifice (in a name change).
Basically everything that has happened with this franchise over the last 20 years has been lame. F*ck them.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:35 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,990,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Snyder has been a terrible owner & strategist. He's recruited aging, irrelevant QBs.. reduced Washington to a doormat.. FedEx is virtually empty (minus visiting fans). His only positive imo, is that he defended the legacy & intent of the Redskins name.. Snyder created a charitable foundation to support American Indian tribes in need (Original Americans Foundation).. but it still wasn't enough for the Social Justice Inquisition that demanded a grand, but superficial sacrifice (in a name change).
Basically everything that has happened with this franchise over the last 20 years has been lame. F*ck them.
Snyder needs to sit back and let football people run the franchise. He has shown over 2 decades that he cannot be successful calling the shots.

As for the name change I found the statement today from the Navajo Nation perplexing. They recommended changing to Code Talkers, an interesting choice I've not heard recommended thus far, but also shamed Snyder. If the Navajo Nation finds Redskins to be offensive why do they have a school on their rez with that name? It's astounding the level of hypocrisy in this. Wish there was people with integrity somewhere. No wonder this country is going down the drain.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:49 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,048,180 times
As a long time Eagles fan, I've always hated Washington - but Code Talkers is a stupid name.
Will their nickname be the CT's? Will their logo be a headset?

Old 07-13-2020, 05:22 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,644,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Snyder needs to sit back and let football people run the franchise. He has shown over 2 decades that he cannot be successful calling the shots.

As for the name change I found the statement today from the Navajo Nation perplexing. They recommended changing to Code Talkers, an interesting choice I've not heard recommended thus far, but also shamed Snyder. If the Navajo Nation finds Redskins to be offensive why do they have a school on their rez with that name? It's astounding the level of hypocrisy in this. Wish there was people with integrity somewhere. No wonder this country is going down the drain.
I am indigenous and grew up on a reservation near the Four Corners. My honest opinion is that the team owners, players, and coaches had been using the name with reverence. Where it falls apart is the spectrum of fan behavior. Many fans were also respectful and saw the name with pride. The problem is that there were some fans who portrayed very negative stereotypes and behavior during games that mocked the indigenous people. Such fans would yell something racist like "Go Reds---s. Sc-lp the Cowboys" while wearing tribal regalia and redface paint. So, mathematically in terms of statistical demographics, there did exist a subset of fans that displayed pejorative, offensive behavior with slurs, stereotypes, etc. But the key word there is "subset". There were many fans who were completely in line with trying to be politically correct despite the name.

So that subset of fans on the negative spectral side of behavior ruined it for the team and the others who were not like that. It really came down to that badly-behaving subset of fans in my opinion. I don't think the team itself was disrespectful. Many of the players and staff were minorities: African American, Samoans, Hispanics, etc. I would suspect going back into the history of players that a few even had partial indigenous ancestry. They really did try to own up to the aspect of pride. But in the end it just didn't workout - especially in the current political climate.

Blame it on the "subset" of fans with bad behavior. The subtitle of this youtube video says it all.
Ironically, the history of genocide reveals that scalp bounty systems were used by European Colonists at times to kill off tribes. In Mexico, an adult male Apache scalp was worth 100 pesos, a female Apache scalp was worth 50 pesos, and an Apache child's scalp was 25 pesos. In modern times, these bounty systems imposed by the colonial governments is usually forgotten or ignored. The mainstream view is just blame the Indians for it - and the word was often used by fans during those Washington games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8jmWNccrLM

Those Washington fans should read this historical excerpt from the University of Virginia nearby.
The Scalp Industry

Old 07-13-2020, 10:14 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Teams are often named after the major industry in their home city. In DC the big industry is selling influence and access to congress.

At least 33,000 registered lobbyists ply the halls of congress, briefcases bulging with 'campaign donations.' K Street is packed with legal firms where former members of congress make sleazy deals to sell us down the river. A large chunk of season tickets are owned by these lobbyists and legal types, typically fat old white guys who fill the stands at FEDEX Field on game day as they glad-hand and backslap their way to deals.

Thus the most fitting new name for the team is The Washington Grifters.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football