Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 12:26 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,868,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I agree about Gradishar. Larry Grantham should also have been in for a while now. Thank God Howley is finally in.

A lot of AFL players who started their careers when the league first started have gotten the shaft for years and Grantham is one of them.

5 time AFL All-star
5 time AFL first team all pro
5 time AFL second team all pro

And according to my Pro Football Encyclopedia fact book he missed 6 games in 14 seasons. For a few decades the old AFL players were getting shut out of canton with the exception of Lance Alworth and that would have been impossible to do. During 1962-1971 Alworth was the best wide receiver in the game and went in on his first year of eligibility and was also the youngest player to go in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 06:32 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
The game itself was entertaining. Nice comeback by the Browns and good on their D holding the Jets at the end.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:28 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Hall of Very Good.

That's fair. I do think he's borderline, but on the side of the border that.. Eventually.. He would make it. So.. Why hold off?

Look at a comparison of Sapp vs McMichael

Mongo -

Super Bowl champion (XX)
2× First-team All-Pro (1985, 1987)
3× Second-team All-Pro (1986, 1988, 1991)
2× Pro Bowl (1986, 1987)

Tackles: 838
Sacks: 95
Interceptions: 2

Sapp -

Super Bowl champion (XXXVII)
NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1999)
4× First-team All-Pro (1999–2002)
2× Second-team All-Pro (1997, 1998)
7× Pro Bowl (1997–2003)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
PFWA All-Rookie Team (1995)

Games played: 198
Tackles: 573
Sacks: 96.5
Forced fumbles: 19
Interceptions: 4
Total touchdowns: 3

Sapp was pretty much considered a no-brainer. And.. They're not THAT far apart. Lots more Pro Bowls for Sapp, but I think that's due to the eras that they played in. McMichael was often overlooked, even on his own team because there were so many excellent defensive linemen at the time.

Admittedly.. It's hard to compare two different eras. But, I do think Mongo gets a bit overlooked because of the era in which he played.

Old 02-09-2024, 11:23 AM

Kick this back up.. Mongo made it in and he made it in while he is still alive.. I'm happy for him.

I do think it's deserved.. I do think he made it in quicker than he would have were he not sick.. but.. Honestly, i'm totally fine with that.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:31 PM

1,992 posts, read 976,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That's fair. I do think he's borderline, but on the side of the border that.. Eventually.. He would make it. So.. Why hold off?

Look at a comparison of Sapp vs McMichael

Mongo -

Super Bowl champion (XX)
2× First-team All-Pro (1985, 1987)
3× Second-team All-Pro (1986, 1988, 1991)
2× Pro Bowl (1986, 1987)

Tackles: 838
Sacks: 95
Interceptions: 2

Sapp -

Super Bowl champion (XXXVII)
NFL Defensive Player of the Year (1999)
4× First-team All-Pro (1999–2002)
2× Second-team All-Pro (1997, 1998)
7× Pro Bowl (1997–2003)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
NFL 2000s All-Decade Team
PFWA All-Rookie Team (1995)

Games played: 198
Tackles: 573
Sacks: 96.5
Forced fumbles: 19
Interceptions: 4
Total touchdowns: 3

Sapp was pretty much considered a no-brainer. And.. They're not THAT far apart. Lots more Pro Bowls for Sapp, but I think that's due to the eras that they played in. McMichael was often overlooked, even on his own team because there were so many excellent defensive linemen at the time.

Admittedly.. It's hard to compare two different eras. But, I do think Mongo gets a bit overlooked because of the era in which he played.
Why hold off? Because there are many other, more deserving candidates who should be in. McMichael is a weak pick.

You compared him to Sapp, who had far more accolades and a greater resume. Just makes McMichael look worse of an inductee.

Old 02-09-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Why hold off? Because there are many other, more deserving candidates who should be in. McMichael is a weak pick.

You compared him to Sapp, who had far more accolades and a greater resume. Just makes McMichael look worse of an inductee.

The only defensive player who was a finalist this year that I'd put above McMichael who didn't get in is Harrison.

Quite frankly.. Harrison has plenty more time to see himself get in. So.. Did McMichael jump the line a bit? Perhaps. But.. I'm fine with that due to his condition. I think he certainly gets in, so.. If someone is pushed back a year to let him get in while he is still alive.. I think even that person would likely say "Yeah, ok"

Mongo had 7 seasons with at least 8 sacks.. The only ones with more are John Randal, Alan Page and Alex Karras.. All in the HoF.

McMichael had the disadvantage of being lost in the crowd on that Bears defense. I don't think, if he was playing for the Patriots, and had those stats.. There'd have been any question.

Old 02-09-2024, 03:15 PM

1,992 posts, read 976,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The only defensive player who was a finalist this year that I'd put above McMichael who didn't get in is Harrison.

Quite frankly.. Harrison has plenty more time to see himself get in. So.. Did McMichael jump the line a bit? Perhaps. But.. I'm fine with that due to his condition. I think he certainly gets in, so.. If someone is pushed back a year to let him get in while he is still alive.. I think even that person would likely say "Yeah, ok"

Mongo had 7 seasons with at least 8 sacks.. The only ones with more are John Randal, Alan Page and Alex Karras.. All in the HoF.

McMichael had the disadvantage of being lost in the crowd on that Bears defense. I don't think, if he was playing for the Patriots, and had those stats.. There'd have been any question.
He was more of a complimentary player, not an outstanding player like Mike Singletary, Dan Hampton and Richard Dent. Plus, there are far more deserving senior candidates like Al Wistert, Dick Barwegan, Lavern Dilweg, Jimmy Patton, Del Shofner, Jim Ray Smith, Larry Grantham, Walt Sweeney, and Duane Putnam, who all belong over McMichael.

Old 02-10-2024, 08:36 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,659 times
Quote:
He was more of a complimentary player, not an outstanding player like Mike Singletary, Dan Hampton and Richard Dent. Plus, there are far more deserving senior candidates like Al Wistert, Dick Barwegan, Lavern Dilweg, Jimmy Patton, Del Shofner, Jim Ray Smith, Larry Grantham, Walt Sweeney, and Duane Putnam, who all belong over McMichael.

Agreed fully, and this is an excellent list to offer. I'll augment by adding players like Ox Emerson, Verne Lewellen, Billy Howton, Gene Brito, Lemar Parrish, Maxie Baughan, Dave Grayson, Joe Fortunato (just to show I have no anti-Bears bias), Walt Sweeney, Sterling Sharpe, Albert Lewis, Ken Anderson, and Jim Tyrer (I'm assuming the no-character-clause way of choosing HoFers is legit) to the mix. Not to mention Art Powell, who was unfairly passed on this time around. I'd have preferred any of these players to Steve McMichael for Senior enshrinement.

And don't get me started on the committee snubbing Powell and Buddy Parker. Utter freaking idiots.

Good job with the regular candidates, though -- all are solid HoFers. One can quibble about Dwight Freeney jumping the line over Jared Allen and making Antonio Gates wait a year, but those are minor issues. Both will get in soon enough and have tons of eligibility time left.

Last edited by bachslunch; 02-10-2024 at 08:51 AM..

Old 02-10-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Absolutely. McMichael's honors profile of 2 first team all-pro selections, 2 pro bowls, and no all-decade team selections is now the weakest such numbers for any DL in Canton. Previous record holders here were Fred Dean and Richard Dent at 2/4/none.

Sapp's honors are loads better at 4/7/90s00s. And if you think sacks are important, Sapp has the edge here as well with 96.5 (in 13 seasons) to McMichael's 95.0 (in 15 seasons).

Old 02-10-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
A lot of AFL players who started their careers when the league first started have gotten the shaft for years and Grantham is one of them.

5 time AFL All-star
5 time AFL first team all pro
5 time AFL second team all pro

And according to my Pro Football Encyclopedia fact book he missed 6 games in 14 seasons. For a few decades the old AFL players were getting shut out of canton with the exception of Lance Alworth and that would have been impossible to do. During 1962-1971 Alworth was the best wide receiver in the game and went in on his first year of eligibility and was also the youngest player to go in.

And speaking of AFL players getting the shaft, Art Powell got snubbed by the voting committee -- after being nominated for the honor by the Senior panel. He's very deserving, as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football