Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 05:20 PM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Agreed fully, and this is an excellent list to offer. I'll augment by adding players like Ox Emerson, Verne Lewellen, Billy Howton, Gene Brito, Lemar Parrish, Maxie Baughan, Dave Grayson, Joe Fortunato (just to show I have no anti-Bears bias), Walt Sweeney, Sterling Sharpe, Albert Lewis, Ken Anderson, and Jim Tyrer (I'm assuming the no-character-clause way of choosing HoFers is legit) to the mix. Not to mention Art Powell, who was unfairly passed on this time around. I'd have preferred any of these players to Steve McMichael for Senior enshrinement.

And don't get me started on the committee snubbing Powell and Buddy Parker. Utter freaking idiots.

Good job with the regular candidates, though -- all are solid HoFers. One can quibble about Dwight Freeney jumping the line over Jared Allen and making Antonio Gates wait a year, but those are minor issues. Both will get in soon enough and have tons of eligibility time left.
I don't get this. Now it's a big deal, having a no character clause. If they really follow thru with this "idea" then Tom Brady and Bill Belichick should never see the Hall because of Spygate and Deflategate, and each played a very central role, especially when they were caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2024, 05:45 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I don't get this. Now it's a big deal, having a no character clause. If they really follow thru with this "idea" then Tom Brady and Bill Belichick should never see the Hall because of Spygate and Deflategate, and each played a very central role, especially when they were caught.

There's an article from 2016 at a website called "The Morning Call" dealing with serial rapist Darren Sharper's being a preliminary nominee that says the following when describing an interview with Joe Horrigan: "Hall of Fame spokesman Joe Horrigan explained that there is no character clause in the bylaws, which are approved by the Hall of Fame’s board of directors."

Link (which unfortunately is behind a paywall): https://www.mcall.com/2016/09/16/dar...tional-outcry/

Old 02-10-2024, 06:17 PM

Quote:
There's an article from 2016 at a website called "The Morning Call" dealing with serial rapist Darren Sharper's being a preliminary nominee that says the following when describing an interview with Joe Horrigan: "Hall of Fame spokesman Joe Horrigan explained that there is no character clause in the bylaws, which are approved by the Hall of Fame’s board of directors."

Link (which unfortunately is behind a paywall): https://www.mcall.com/2016/09/16/dar...tional-outcry/
If the clause was really true, then Ray Lewis (who probably really did murder someone) wouldn't be in either.

https://www.nickiswift.com/1138536/t...r%20ABC%20News.

I just hope this is not an excuse by the HOF committee not to induct certain players who they don't want to see in.

Old 02-10-2024, 06:35 PM

Quote:
If the clause was really true, then Ray Lewis (who probably really did murder someone) wouldn't be in either.

https://www.nickiswift.com/1138536/t...r%20ABC%20News.

I just hope this is not an excuse by the HOF committee not to induct certain players who they don't want to see in.

I guess I'm not quite understanding here. Ray Lewis and Lawrence Taylor (crime-related issues) and Paul Hornung and Alex Karras (gambling on NFL games) likely would not have been elected to the PFHoF if it had a BBHoF style character clause. Nor might owners such as Tim Mara (who made his living as a legal bookmaker) and George Preston Marshall (a virulent racist who deliberately tanked his Redskins teams rather than integrate them).

Jim Tyrer would almost surely be in by now were it not for his murder/suicide ending -- but his candidacy may be suffering under some sort of de facto application of a (non-existant) Character Clause. Same's likely true of Darren Sharper. There's a bit of a double standard here.

Old 02-10-2024, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I guess I'm not quite understanding here. Ray Lewis and Lawrence Taylor (crime-related issues) and Paul Hornung and Alex Karras (gambling on NFL games) likely would not have been elected to the PFHoF if it had a BBHoF style character clause. Nor might owners such as Tim Mara (who made his living as a legal bookmaker) and George Preston Marshall (a virulent racist who deliberately tanked his Redskins teams rather than integrate them).

Jim Tyrer would almost surely be in by now were it not for his murder/suicide ending -- but his candidacy may be suffering under some sort of de facto application of a (non-existant) Character Clause. Same's likely true of Darren Sharper. There's a bit of a double standard here.
Same for Walt Sweeney, he would be in the PFHOF as well. I am sure there are others.

But there is the claim now that the PFHOF has a "character clause" and that could be why Buddy Parker was not enshrined this year.

Old 02-10-2024, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Same for Walt Sweeney, he would be in the PFHOF as well. I am sure there are others.

But there is the claim now that the PFHOF has a "character clause" and that could be why Buddy Parker was not enshrined this year.

Yup. Sweeney was a steroid user, an issue with the Chargers teams from that era. PED related issues may also be why the otherwise clearly deserving Kevin Williams may not have become a semi-finalist as of now (he actually tested positive for a diuretic sometimes used to mask steroid use and received a suspension for it). And questions revolving around racism may indeed have played a factor in Buddy Parker's rejection (though what he did likely pales next to PFHoF enshrinee George Preston Marshall).

Which all suggests that there may indeed be a de facto Character Clause being implemented by the selectors -- which shouldn't be happening, as there isn't one officially.

Last edited by bachslunch; 02-10-2024 at 08:48 PM..

Old 02-11-2024, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Yup. Sweeney was a steroid user, an issue with the Chargers teams from that era. PED related issues may also be why the otherwise clearly deserving Kevin Williams may not have become a semi-finalist as of now (he actually tested positive for a diuretic sometimes used to mask steroid use and received a suspension for it). And questions revolving around racism may indeed have played a factor in Buddy Parker's rejection (though what he did likely pales next to PFHoF enshrinee George Preston Marshall).

Which all suggests that there may indeed be a de facto Character Clause being implemented by the selectors -- which shouldn't be happening, as there isn't one officially.
Hopefully it's not the case of the clause, but you figure no matter what, the selectors are going to elect whoever they want, whether it is the most deserving candidates or not.

I agree with all your points, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football