Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 09:29 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Kirk Cousins is working with one of thee worst defenses in the NFL. Once we sign a big name FA on D and draft defenders with our top 3 picks, we should get better next year.

We have a lot of money to play with, even if we pay Kirk. So I wonder what we do with djax and Garcon. You can make very strong arguments for both. I feel like we drafted Doctson to ultimately replace djax, but with him not seeing the field really at all this season, we don't know if he'll work out for us or not. Reed is locked up. Trent is locked up. Crowder is still on his rookie deal.

On D, Cravens, Fuller, Kerrigan, Murphy, Baker, and Norman are the only MUST RETURN guys. Everybody else can go. I am pretty disappointed in Preston Smith this year after he blew up last year as a rookie. Not sure what's happened.
Scot McCloughan's tendencies with free agency tends to shy away from the signing of a big name star, so I wouldn't count on that happening, even if there is a guy available. McCloughan likes to use free agency to find those guys who can add depth, or either guys who have been proven in the past to be solid players, maybe even difference makers, but maybe are not getting looks because of injuries or whatever other reason. He can usually get those guys signed very quickly in the offseason, doesn't typically need to wait until the free agent shopping spree begins, and he can sign those guys dirt cheap. If they work out, then you pick up a solid contributor for nothing. If he doesn't, no harm, no foul.

Instead, whatever you see the Redskins doing with the draft is where you're going to see your starters or guys who will get a lot of playing time even if they don't start. I would expect nothing different this offseason, unless there is another Josh Norman type of deal where you know this guy can come in and be a difference maker. Like you said, signing Kirk Cousins to a long term deal will probably be the most important thing, unless they do another franchise tag on him - which is entirely possible and probably very likely.

One thing I will say about Doctson is, while it's disappointing that he didn't see the field much this year, that isn't to say he's a bust. I've read a lot of posts from others who are already giving up on him, and I think that's stupid to do right now. Jordan Reed was another guy who spent most of his early career being injured, and while he's still injury prone, he's a difference maker when he's healthy (heck even when he's not) on the field. So, I still believe Doctson will come in and ease our minds if we need to let Jackson or Garcon go. Personally, while Jackson is a homerun guy who can also be a difference maker, I think you keep Garcon because he's so dependable. And he can still get behind a defensive back as well. And - he stays healthy. One thing that has been true with Scot McCloughan draft picks is that you cannot go by what happens early in those guys' careers and judge them. Almost all of his picks typically tend to last longer in the NFL, and are typically late boomers. They have better careers after being in the league for a few seasons - just see Alex Smith. Those are the guys you want because you want to build consistency and continuity, and if you have guys who continue to improve and raise their level of play even in their twilight years of their careers, you're going to be better off than guys who come in and are great right away, but waste away after a few seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
The Skin's D isn't that bad. They currently rank 23rd in total yards, 20th in points given up and tied for 17th in takeaways. Overall probably about 20th of 32 teams. And I think their defensive play-calling has been shaky. Sure, a stud NT would be great (move Hood out wider), and stronger, better tacking from the LBs but the secondary has much to build on.
Personally, if Todd Bowles gets the axe with the Jets, I'd welcome him in as defensive coordinator. Certainly, it would be nostalgic having a former Redskins player on your coaching staff, but he has proven to be a solid defensive coordinator. I think he would be an upgrade over Joe Barry. Still, something tells me Barry is safe at least through next season. It's a shame, because the Redskins have the offense to go deep in the playoffs, but the defense is their Achilles heel right now. Getting a stud at NT would definitely help. Heck, I kind of wished we had kept Pot Roast now.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:45 AM

18,218 posts, read 25,861,807 times
I need to clarify something here regarding team threads.

Team threads aren't covered by City Data's Terms Of Service. And it isn't my own personal invention. The team threads belong to fans of that specific team. It's theirs, period. I've said this several times that fans of other clubs can post on team threads so long as the conversation is respectful.

If a poster wants to opine on a specific player, in this case David Cousins, and argue about his status amongst other qb's in the league-fine. Start a thread on him.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:02 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Personally, if Todd Bowles gets the axe with the Jets, I'd welcome him in as defensive coordinator. Certainly, it would be nostalgic having a former Redskins player on your coaching staff, but he has proven to be a solid defensive coordinator. I think he would be an upgrade over Joe Barry. Still, something tells me Barry is safe at least through next season. It's a shame, because the Redskins have the offense to go deep in the playoffs, but the defense is their Achilles heel right now. Getting a stud at NT would definitely help. Heck, I kind of wished we had kept Pot Roast now.
I'd take Todd Bowles all day yes. But I think you're right about Barry being safe. The Redskins are cursed with defensive tackles and defense against the run up the gut (for decades it seems). The free agents never seem to work out (Stubblefield, Haynesworth). Now that I think about it, the Skins don't even draft defensive tackles. I'm getting tired of the decent (but common) outside linebackers/ends we keep drafting instead.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:12 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
Quote:
Scot McCloughan's tendencies with free agency tends to shy away from the signing of a big name star, so I wouldn't count on that happening, even if there is a guy available. McCloughan likes to use free agency to find those guys who can add depth, or either guys who have been proven in the past to be solid players, maybe even difference makers, but maybe are not getting looks because of injuries or whatever other reason. He can usually get those guys signed very quickly in the offseason, doesn't typically need to wait until the free agent shopping spree begins, and he can sign those guys dirt cheap. If they work out, then you pick up a solid contributor for nothing. If he doesn't, no harm, no foul.

Instead, whatever you see the Redskins doing with the draft is where you're going to see your starters or guys who will get a lot of playing time even if they don't start. I would expect nothing different this offseason, unless there is another Josh Norman type of deal where you know this guy can come in and be a difference maker. Like you said, signing Kirk Cousins to a long term deal will probably be the most important thing, unless they do another franchise tag on him - which is entirely possible and probably very likely.

One thing I will say about Doctson is, while it's disappointing that he didn't see the field much this year, that isn't to say he's a bust. I've read a lot of posts from others who are already giving up on him, and I think that's stupid to do right now. Jordan Reed was another guy who spent most of his early career being injured, and while he's still injury prone, he's a difference maker when he's healthy (heck even when he's not) on the field. So, I still believe Doctson will come in and ease our minds if we need to let Jackson or Garcon go. Personally, while Jackson is a homerun guy who can also be a difference maker, I think you keep Garcon because he's so dependable. And he can still get behind a defensive back as well. And - he stays healthy. One thing that has been true with Scot McCloughan draft picks is that you cannot go by what happens early in those guys' careers and judge them. Almost all of his picks typically tend to last longer in the NFL, and are typically late boomers. They have better careers after being in the league for a few seasons - just see Alex Smith. Those are the guys you want because you want to build consistency and continuity, and if you have guys who continue to improve and raise their level of play even in their twilight years of their careers, you're going to be better off than guys who come in and are great right away, but waste away after a few seasons.
Yeah keep Garcon definitely, but he needs more opportunities. He reminds me of a nice guy version of Steve Smith and is one of those WR's with power. Jackson, eh, he can go, IMO. The last 2 seasons, he's basically worked better as a decoy for defenses rather than an actual good WR.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:57 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
We are last in the league in 3rd down. They just can't get off the field. Teams are converting nearly 50% of 3rd & 7 or longer. That is absolutely DREADFUL.

Not to mention that somebody on the Redskins forums dug up an obscure but depressing stat. In 2016, after their own team scores a touchdown, no team in the NFL has allowed more "counter touchdowns" than the Washington Redskins. So after the Skins score a TD, the defense usually gives up a TD immediately on the next drive.

We can't ever build momentum and "pull away" in a game because our defense allows TDs immediately after our offense scores. It's infuriating to watch.

If the Redskins had a decent defense, we are probably 8-4 instead of 6-5-1, and Kirk would then be in the MVP discussion like he belongs.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I need to clarify something here regarding team threads.

Team threads aren't covered by City Data's Terms Of Service. And it isn't my own personal invention. The team threads belong to fans of that specific team. It's theirs, period. I've said this several times that fans of other clubs can post on team threads so long as the conversation is respectful.

If a poster wants to opine on a specific player, in this case David Cousins, and argue about his status amongst other qb's in the league-fine. Start a thread on him.
Thank you for clarifying HH. Absolutely agree! Don't mind debating the merits of Kirk Cousins if one wants to start a thread about it.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
We are last in the league in 3rd down. They just can't get off the field. Teams are converting nearly 50% of 3rd & 7 or longer. That is absolutely DREADFUL.

Not to mention that somebody on the Redskins forums dug up an obscure but depressing stat. In 2016, after their own team scores a touchdown, no team in the NFL has allowed more "counter touchdowns" than the Washington Redskins. So after the Skins score a TD, the defense usually gives up a TD immediately on the next drive.

We can't ever build momentum and "pull away" in a game because our defense allows TDs immediately after our offense scores. It's infuriating to watch.

If the Redskins had a decent defense, we are probably 8-4 instead of 6-5-1, and Kirk would then be in the MVP discussion like he belongs.
It is so inexcusable. I understand that coordinators are going to make adjustments and counter schemes once the flow of the game is underway, but I think both you and I know, skins_fan82, that whenever our team jumps out to a 14-0 lead, we get that sick feeling that the opponent's offense is suddenly going to look explosive and comeback with a TD of their own. There's been at least two times this year, right off the top of my head, where the Redskins started off hot, jumped out to a 14-0 lead, and had the lead evaporate within minutes. You would think that as a defense, you're sitting on a two TD lead, and you should be ready to pin your ears back and aggressively go after the kill shot. But, not this defense. It's almost as if Barry only knows how to coach from behind, so to speak. And there are some good players on this defense, but they need direction from a better coordinator, and Joe Barry is just not that guy in my opinion. Problem is, I think it's going to be left up to Jay to fire him, and I'm not sure what type of relationship Barry and Gruden have, but if it's "buddy buddy", it's going to have to be left up to the GM to pull the plug.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:58 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,418,527 times
Quote:
Thank you for clarifying HH. Absolutely agree! Don't mind debating the merits of Kirk Cousins if one wants to start a thread about it.
I'd prefer to debate David Cousins.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:25 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Quote:
It is so inexcusable. I understand that coordinators are going to make adjustments and counter schemes once the flow of the game is underway, but I think both you and I know, skins_fan82, that whenever our team jumps out to a 14-0 lead, we get that sick feeling that the opponent's offense is suddenly going to look explosive and comeback with a TD of their own. There's been at least two times this year, right off the top of my head, where the Redskins started off hot, jumped out to a 14-0 lead, and had the lead evaporate within minutes. You would think that as a defense, you're sitting on a two TD lead, and you should be ready to pin your ears back and aggressively go after the kill shot. But, not this defense. It's almost as if Barry only knows how to coach from behind, so to speak. And there are some good players on this defense, but they need direction from a better coordinator, and Joe Barry is just not that guy in my opinion. Problem is, I think it's going to be left up to Jay to fire him, and I'm not sure what type of relationship Barry and Gruden have, but if it's "buddy buddy", it's going to have to be left up to the GM to pull the plug.
Ain't that the truth

I don't care if Barry doesn't have a lot of talent to work with, I want him gone. I hate the scheme. I realize that our secondary gets smoked regularly so Barry likes to run a soft zone and keep everything in front of our defenders, but that's how guys are always open across the middle and 3rd & 11s get converted against us regularly. It makes me wanna puke

Our offense, even with it's redzone difficulties, is a juggernaut. #2 offense in the league. But our D ain't worth a ****, so even if we manage to make the playoffs, we won't get very far. Looks like we'd either be @ DET or Atlanta/Tampa. I'm not sure our D could stop either DET or ATL, maybe Tampa. But just as it's been all season, Kirk & the offense will have to score 30+ to win because our D can't stop a nosebleed.

As a battered Redskins fan, we all know that our beloved B&G have been mostly awful for the last 25 years. And yet I hang in there every year, hoping, wishing. Now that we FINALLY seem to have decent management, I know we are actually rebuilding for real this time. But it's hard to be patient when our offense is so damn good right now. But I realize we are still a year, maybe two, from being a perennial playoff team.

Hail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football