Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 03:40 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times

Advertisements

Sorry to break into the nastalgia good times theme here but Josh Doctson is not playing, his heel was never, well, healed. I was holding out hope but it appears as if this is not going to happen. Can we finally put to bed the notion that Scott M did a good job here? His drafts and free agent signings sucked. Big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 03:56 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Sorry to break into the nastalgia good times theme here but Josh Doctson is not playing, his heel was never, well, healed. I was holding out hope but it appears as if this is not going to happen. Can we finally put to bed the notion that Scott M did a good job here? His drafts and free agent signings sucked. Big time.

2015 and 2016 drafts, right?

Brandon Scherff, Preston Smith, Jamison Crowder, Kendall Fuller, Matt Ioannidis..

He only had 2 drafts.. First one, the high picks were good.. Second one the low picks were good. Doctson is a bust. Think we can call that now. It happens. Thankfully it was a WR being a bust vs a QB or RB.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:47 AM

Preston Smith? Not sure I'd call that a great 2nd round pick, if you were to compare him to all the other ROLBs in 3-4's throughout the league you will find that he is average and that may be generous. I'm still a Crowder guy but he's had one good season, one bad season, and so far he has done nothing in 2018. The jury is still out. Scherff was about as safe of a pick as you can get. Fuller was a good pick, without him we do not have the ammo to trade for a QB. As was Ionnidas but in year 5 he is a pretty good starter and nothing more.

He missed on Doctson, Cravens and Smith has been nothing special. To make up for all those misses in the first 2 rounds you need more gems in the later rounds other than Fuller and Matt I. Jarrett looked to be one but of course we'll never know, the rest of the picks contains names such as Matt Jones, Arie, Spaight etc.

In two drafts, both with high picks in each round which can't be overstated, he picked only one impact player in Scherff. When you take a guard at 5 that's about as safe a pick as you can get. These drafts are not what I was expecting when he was put in charge of personnel. And then we have the free agents signings with names like Pae and Jeron Johnson dominating the lists. Nearly every one didn't work out.

He was brought here to turn around a bad team. Virtually every good player on the roster when he left was here when he arrived.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 10-06-2018 at 05:50 AM..

Old 10-06-2018, 05:56 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times
Quote:
I think Doctson might have faired better if Jackson or Garcon had stayed.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I think Doctson might have faired better if Jackson or Garcon had stayed.
Not sure what they would have tought him that the coaches haven’t. If it hasn’t happened by now it’s not going to happen IMO and I was one of the last believers. He just does not know how to beat a press, run a pattern and get open.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:11 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times
Quote:
Not sure what they would have tought him that the coaches haven’t. If it hasn’t happened by now it’s not going to happen IMO and I was one of the last believers. He just does not know how to beat a press, run a pattern and get open.
Not necessarily teaching him anything, but a lot less pressure for him to succeed right away.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:23 AM

Not confident at all that we can prevent Drew Brees from putting up 40. It's a two TV night with the Red Sox on the 2nd screen. Last time I did this David Ortiz flipped Torey Hunter into the bullpen with a grand slam in the 8th. Good times.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Preston Smith? Not sure I'd call that a great 2nd round pick, if you were to compare him to all the other ROLBs in 3-4's throughout the league you will find that he is average and that may be generous. I'm still a Crowder guy but he's had one good season, one bad season, and so far he has done nothing in 2018. The jury is still out. Scherff was about as safe of a pick as you can get. Fuller was a good pick, without him we do not have the ammo to trade for a QB. As was Ionnidas but in year 5 he is a pretty good starter and nothing more.

He missed on Doctson, Cravens and Smith has been nothing special. To make up for all those misses in the first 2 rounds you need more gems in the later rounds other than Fuller and Matt I. Jarrett looked to be one but of course we'll never know, the rest of the picks contains names such as Matt Jones, Arie, Spaight etc.

In two drafts, both with high picks in each round which can't be overstated, he picked only one impact player in Scherff. When you take a guard at 5 that's about as safe a pick as you can get. These drafts are not what I was expecting when he was put in charge of personnel. And then we have the free agents signings with names like Pae and Jeron Johnson dominating the lists. Nearly every one didn't work out.

He was brought here to turn around a bad team. Virtually every good player on the roster when he left was here when he arrived.
I was looking at it from a "After round 1, a decent starter is a win".. I had even put 'meh' beside Preston Smith when I first typed it, but.. Getting a superstar outside of the first round is difficult, outside the second round is quite rare.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I was looking at it from a "After round 1, a decent starter is a win".. I had even put 'meh' beside Preston Smith when I first typed it, but.. Getting a superstar outside of the first round is difficult, outside the second round is quite rare.
Agreed and I apologize if my response to you came off more harsh than I intended. My point remains he was supposed to be our savior, a guy who was going to turn this franchise around by not only hitting on the high picks but we all kind of were hoping he could repeat his magic and find another Richard Sherman in the 5th. The only pick he made of impact was a guard at 5, pretty much a slam dunk pick when it was made. You put that with his horrible free agent signings and there is no other way to put it, he failed miserably.

Old 10-08-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Agreed and I apologize if my response to you came off more harsh than I intended. My point remains he was supposed to be our savior, a guy who was going to turn this franchise around by not only hitting on the high picks but we all kind of were hoping he could repeat his magic and find another Richard Sherman in the 5th. The only pick he made of impact was a guard at 5, pretty much a slam dunk pick when it was made. You put that with his horrible free agent signings and there is no other way to put it, he failed miserably.

I didn't take it as untowards. I understand your point.. We've had alot of 'saviors' since 1993. Bruce Allen was supposed to turn things around.. I think he gets something of a pass because.. Vinny Cerrato. Kinda like saying the guy who replaced Matt Millen made things worse.. Just not possible.

I didn't think Scot was horrible. I mean, he certainly wasn't great, but.. 2 drafts is pretty hard to hang something on him. I do think he was done wrong being run out on rails like he was. A few of his draft picks are at least playing for other teams as well.

The best coach we've had since Joe Gibbs was... Joe Gibbs. I'm not ready, quite yet, to show Gruden the door.. Though I think it's likely it happens after this year or next.

Defense tonight was awful. We're in the exact same spot with the offense, just with an older QB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football