Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 07:01 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times

Advertisements

His 2 drafts and 2 free agent off seasons are all we have to go on and it's perfectly fair to judge him on them. One of his "hits" was Crowder when he should have taken Diggs as many of us Maryland guys wanted him to do. He was credited with turning the team around and into the playoffs in '16, I was the guy pointing out virtually every one of the top players on that team (Cousins, Garcon, Trent, Kerrigan, Reed) were already on the roster when he arrived. Bottom line is he was supposed to upgrade the talent and he failed.

As for last night that was the easiest call ever. Redskins in prime time against a QB about to set a record was a disaster waiting to happen. I watched Kirk Cousins play great to beat the champs, then I see our QB throwing 5 yard passes down 4 scores in the 2nd half. Way to go Redskins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 09:46 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,960 times
This team cost me $140 off a $5 parlay last night. I picked the under, which was 52.5, since everywhere I was reading favored the Saints by 6.5, but the writers were unsure if the Saints could win or cover. The Redskins also hadn't played this bad this season. In my gut, I imagined this game being a closer affair. Somewhere in the 30-17 or 27-24 realm. I still figured the Saints were good for nearly 30 points, but I didn't think the Saints would score 40, nor the Skins play as bad as they did. The touchdown the Saints scored right before halftime was unacceptable. Josh Norman didn't even drop back and left the receiver completely wide open to seal Brees as the number 1 total yards passing QB. Absolutely horrible defense on that play. I wasn't expecting the Saints to score again before the half.

I don't know what this team is doing, but they're just not getting it together. I'm not saying they would have beaten the Saints, but they let the Saints get out in front early. I bet Alex Smith misses KC right now.

The Saints aren't the greatest on defense, but their offense is right behind the Rams, and I'd even argue their offense is more electrifying than the Rams and maybe even ahead of the Rams. Ingram looked good coming off a 4 game suspension last night and Michael Thomas lit up the Skins.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:12 PM

I never bought the "Kirk Did Not Want To Be Here" narrative and not just because I heard him deny it after signing with the Vikes. I am confident that had Washington made the same offer there's a good chance he would have decided not to uproot his family, sell his house and signed here.

So in essence we traded Kirk, Fuller and a 3rd and in return we got a 34 year old Alex Smith and about 4 million in cap space. Yeah team.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:35 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I never bought the "Kirk Did Not Want To Be Here" narrative and not just because I heard him deny it after signing with the Vikes. I am confident that had Washington made the same offer there's a good chance he would have decided not to uproot his family, sell his house and signed here.

So in essence we traded Kirk, Fuller and a 3rd and in return we got a 34 year old Alex Smith and about 4 million in cap space. Yeah team.
I personally see it as you traded for a 34 year old version of Kirk Cousins. If the Skins had made a better offer earlier, Kirk would still be in DC IMO. He wanted a commitment and clearly Washington had no interest in making one to him.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:20 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I personally see it as you traded for a 34 year old version of Kirk Cousins. If the Skins had made a better offer earlier, Kirk would still be in DC IMO. He wanted a commitment and clearly Washington had no interest in making one to him.
Had nothing to do with making a better offer. Cousins was not signing any contract with the 'skins after the 2016 season - no matter what that offer would've been.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:06 AM

I don't believe that. We have seen countless athletes who were much more bitter than Kirk was eventually sign and all is forgotten. Dollar signs tend to repair hurt feeling, had the Redskins made an offer similar to the Vikes I believe there's a good chance he would have signed here.

I know players words are not always the truth but there is this Kirk quote for what it's worth:

"I actually - when I was here Super Bowl week - very much thought Washington was in the picture to the point that I thought they made the most sense. I always felt like the grass isn't always greener on the other side and I'd had success there and why start over and hit the reset button if you don't have to. So, I was very much thinking that Washington would be in play, but the team didn't want to wait that long and so they had to do what they had to do."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ex-smith-trade

Old 10-10-2018, 09:53 AM

By the way when was the last time Preston Smith made a play? in a contract year I expected him to blow up, now it appears as if he is yet another SM pick that didn't match expectations. Monte Nichols is another one on my schitt list. Why do we never have good safeties?

Old 10-10-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I don't believe that. We have seen countless athletes who were much more bitter than Kirk was eventually sign and all is forgotten. Dollar signs tend to repair hurt feeling, had the Redskins made an offer similar to the Vikes I believe there's a good chance he would have signed here.

I know players words are not always the truth but there is this Kirk quote for what it's worth:

"I actually - when I was here Super Bowl week - very much thought Washington was in the picture to the point that I thought they made the most sense. I always felt like the grass isn't always greener on the other side and I'd had success there and why start over and hit the reset button if you don't have to. So, I was very much thinking that Washington would be in play, but the team didn't want to wait that long and so they had to do what they had to do."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ex-smith-trade

Look, Cousins' agent wasn't open to any negotiation with the Redskins at all. Not until the franchise tag was tendered to Kirk Cousins. I truly believe had they been open to a long term deal with the Redskins, one would have gotten done as soon as it was legal for the team to negotiate contracts. Cousins' agent wanted the 'skins to negotiate on his terms, not their terms. I don't believe, for one second, that Washington was ever a player in signing Cousins. Maybe a pawn, but not a player.

And let's face it, the Vikings are currently 2-2-1. The Redskins are currently 2-2. Yes, Cousins has played well, nobody will ever doubt that Cousins can play football in the NFL. But, can he be successful? If the Vikes turn out to go 8-8, will that show the NFL that the Vikings made a good move signing Kirk Cousins to such a contract?

Old 10-10-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Look, Cousins' agent wasn't open to any negotiation with the Redskins at all. Not until the franchise tag was tendered to Kirk Cousins. I truly believe had they been open to a long term deal with the Redskins, one would have gotten done as soon as it was legal for the team to negotiate contracts. Cousins' agent wanted the 'skins to negotiate on his terms, not their terms. I don't believe, for one second, that Washington was ever a player in signing Cousins. Maybe a pawn, but not a player.

And let's face it, the Vikings are currently 2-2-1. The Redskins are currently 2-2. Yes, Cousins has played well, nobody will ever doubt that Cousins can play football in the NFL. But, can he be successful? If the Vikes turn out to go 8-8, will that show the NFL that the Vikings made a good move signing Kirk Cousins to such a contract?

You can't put the Vikes' record on Kirk any more than you can put his record while he was here entirely on his shoulders. His agent was simply doing his job, getting the best deal. And he played it perfectly. But that quote to me sounded like he was open to the idea, the team obviously felt otherwise. So here we sit, with an aging QB who is playing far worse than the guy he replaced. I don't think there is any question that the rest of the league is laughing at the Redskins for being the only team in memory to allow a top 10 qb to just walk out the door.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
You can't put the Vikes' record on Kirk any more than you can put his record while he was here entirely on his shoulders. His agent was simply doing his job, getting the best deal. And he played it perfectly. But that quote to me sounded like he was open to the idea, the team obviously felt otherwise. So here we sit, with an aging QB who is playing far worse than the guy he replaced. I don't think there is any question that the rest of the league is laughing at the Redskins for being the only team in memory to allow a top 10 qb to just walk out the door.

Sure we can, we're doing that with Alex Smith. Cousins has a far more talented wide receiving corp than the Redskins do. A much better running game as well. I think if we give Cousins some slack, you gotta give Smith slack as well. We're four games in, 12 more to go. Let's go back to the 2015 season where the 'skins got dismantled against the Panthers. I was at that game. Cousins was horrible. They finish as division champs and make the playoffs, suddenly, Cousins is great. Point is, the same feelings in 2015 after that game is being felt right now after that Saints loss. Things can change on a dime in the NFL - happens all the time.

Cousins was gone after that 2015 season. Nobody wants to admit that, but the truth is, the Redskins made their decision about Cousins after 2015, and in turn, Cousins made his decision after the 2016 season. There was no way, shape or form that Cousins was staying in Washington. This is the only move the Redskins did have. In retrospect, the 'skins should've gotten what they could've gotten for Cousins after the 2016 season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football