Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 08:50 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times

Advertisements

Hey, if we can't talk uniforms, then we're not talking ex-Redskins either. There's a Vikings board available if you want to talk Kirk Cousins. I'm done with him. For better or worse, Alex Smith is our quarterback now.

No Paul Richardson, no Jamison Crowder, and no Chris Thompson. No way I was expecting the offense to suddenly be explosive. Yes, they're struggling. Yes, Alex Smith is struggling, but the 'skins are 4-2. They are in first place, and yes, they did beat Dallas. Any time the Redskins beat the Cowboys, it's a good thing. Celebrate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 12:18 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Can you all imagine where this team would be without AP? I'll say it again, I was for his signing because I thought he'd be good for Rob and Perine to learn from.. but.. at this point.. screw those guys. I do hope that Guice is on the sidelines and learning from him.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:28 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Sorry SK but we can't discuss Smith without thinking about Kirk. But I sure don't want to turn this into a Kirk discussion. I like Alex Smith, I too saw it as a lateral move. But Dear Lord he has been bad, we are 4-2 despite him. And the lack of weapons is an excuse, dare I suggest Kirk has a worse situation with the lack of weapons, no run game, OL or defense and still put it in the end zone?

But damned it sure feels good to beat the boys.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Sorry SK but we can't discuss Smith without thinking about Kirk. But I sure don't want to turn this into a Kirk discussion. I like Alex Smith, I too saw it as a lateral move. But Dear Lord he has been bad, we are 4-2 despite him. And the lack of weapons is an excuse, dare I suggest Kirk has a worse situation with the lack of weapons, no run game, OL or defense and still put it in the end zone?

But damned it sure feels good to beat the boys.
Nobody is saying our offense is great right now, and nobody is saying Alex Smith hasn't struggled. But, Cousins wouldn't have done any better. Alex Smith isn't playing with a load of weapons either. Chris Thompson was out, Crowder was out, Richardson was out - Smith had an inconsistent Doctson to throw to, Mo Harris, and newly signed Michael Floyd. Peterson played really well, but he's playing hurt. The only glaring difference between this year and last year is that the offensive line has remained healthy outside of Shawn Lauvao, but you go back to last year - the 'skins averaged about 20 points per ball game with the exception of two games where they scored 30 points or better. This team, so far, is pretty much at that same offensive out put.

This is more on the coaches - they don't adjust well mid-game. They kind of weather the storm and hope they're still on top by the 4th quarter. Things will come together, but come on, this team is 4-2 right now and just beat their hated arch rival. They have a good chance at coming out with another win this weekend against another division opponent - the team could be 5-2 - I can't honestly find anything to complain about that.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Nobody is saying our offense is great right now, and nobody is saying Alex Smith hasn't struggled. But, Cousins wouldn't have done any better. Alex Smith isn't playing with a load of weapons either. Chris Thompson was out, Crowder was out, Richardson was out - Smith had an inconsistent Doctson to throw to, Mo Harris, and newly signed Michael Floyd. Peterson played really well, but he's playing hurt. The only glaring difference between this year and last year is that the offensive line has remained healthy outside of Shawn Lauvao, but you go back to last year - the 'skins averaged about 20 points per ball game with the exception of two games where they scored 30 points or better. This team, so far, is pretty much at that same offensive out put.

This is more on the coaches - they don't adjust well mid-game. They kind of weather the storm and hope they're still on top by the 4th quarter. Things will come together, but come on, this team is 4-2 right now and just beat their hated arch rival. They have a good chance at coming out with another win this weekend against another division opponent - the team could be 5-2 - I can't honestly find anything to complain about that.
Kirk had the same coaches and far fewer weapons last year and still played better than Alex Smith has this year. The lack of weapons is an excuse, Cousins had zero run game where Smith has had a huge advantage there, this can't be overstated. All those players you listed were out for Cousins as well, in addition he had no Trent (or the rest of the OL for that matter) and no Jordan Reed. He had Tyrell Pryor as one of his targets and an ineffective Crowder, no Thompson and a terrible defense that never gave him a short field. Nope Kirk had a much worse situation and still played better.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Kirk had the same coaches and far fewer weapons last year and still played better than Alex Smith has this year. The lack of weapons is an excuse, Cousins had zero run game where Smith has had a huge advantage there, this can't be overstated. All those players you listed were out for Cousins as well, in addition he had no Trent (or the rest of the OL for that matter) and no Jordan Reed. He had Tyrell Pryor as one of his targets and an ineffective Crowder, no Thompson and a terrible defense that never gave him a short field. Nope Kirk had a much worse situation and still played better.
And still led the 'skins to a 7-9 record and missed the playoffs. The bottom line for me are wins. I don't care how well the quarterback plays, if he can't get ya to the playoffs and eventually the Super Bowl, then who cares? By the way, the Redskins are 5-2.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
And still led the 'skins to a 7-9 record and missed the playoffs. The bottom line for me are wins. I don't care how well the quarterback plays, if he can't get ya to the playoffs and eventually the Super Bowl, then who cares? By the way, the Redskins are 5-2.

The QB is by far the most important position in football, perhaps in all of sports. But you are dramatically overstating the overall record and how much of that is on the QB. Sonny Jurgenson had a terrible record, let's not forget that.

Kirk has a reputation for choking for some very memorable screw ups. But he also came up big at the end many times, only to see his defense give up the game winner or have the kicker miss at the end. So that's on Kirk? Nonsense. He did his part and put them in position to win, that's all he could do.

Yesterday was another example. They should have berried that terrible Giants team that had given up. But they simply don't score enough and next thing you know a team with OBJ and Barkely is one play away from tying the game. That was so frustrating and the do it all the time. Alex Smth needs to put the ball in the end zone a lot more often.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
The QB is by far the most important position in football, perhaps in all of sports. But you are dramatically overstating the overall record and how much of that is on the QB. Sonny Jurgenson had a terrible record, let's not forget that.

Kirk has a reputation for choking for some very memorable screw ups. But he also came up big at the end many times, only to see his defense give up the game winner or have the kicker miss at the end. So that's on Kirk? Nonsense. He did his part and put them in position to win, that's all he could do.

Yesterday was another example. They should have berried that terrible Giants team that had given up. But they simply don't score enough and next thing you know a team with OBJ and Barkely is one play away from tying the game. That was so frustrating and the do it all the time. Alex Smth needs to put the ball in the end zone a lot more often.
Again, I'm not defending Alex Smith as much as you're defending Kirk Cousins. I know Alex Smith isn't playing well. I saw an open Paul Richardson on a play that he chose a covered Jordan Reed instead (and the pass was incomplete). I saw him miss very badly on a deep route to Richardson when Richardson was open. But I also saw him make some plays that Kirk didn't always make either. And I think this team has become more of a ball controlled, 1980's style offense than what it was with Kirk Cousins. I'm fine with that. The final outcome for me is a W in the win column. I don't care if they win 3-0, as long as they win. Sure, it's more fun to watch them score a lot of points, and they'll have to be able to score a lot of points if they want playoff wins, but I don't really understand how comparing Alex Smith to Kirk Cousins really helps at this point? For what it's worth, Cousins is playing on a stacked Minnesota team right now, and they're 4-4-1. I do not believe for one minute that the 'skins are as talented on offense as the Vikings are, and if Cousins was still in Washington with this crew, I don't know we'd be better off. Maybe, or maybe not. The way I see it is, Alex Smith is our quarterback, and as long as he's not turning the ball over and we're winning, then I'm fine with that. Keep in mind, there was a horrible Giants team at the end of last year that the 'skins should have steam-rolled and we lost.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:00 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:

Yeah, we were 5-2 in Jim Zorn's first year as well. How'd that turn out?

This team has a bad tendency historically to fade in the second half of the season.. At least when Gibbs isn't the coach.

You want credit for the Redskins being 5-2? It goes on one person. Adrian Peterson. This team is down in the gutter alongside the Giants without him.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Again, I'm not defending Alex Smith as much as you're defending Kirk Cousins. I know Alex Smith isn't playing well. I saw an open Paul Richardson on a play that he chose a covered Jordan Reed instead (and the pass was incomplete). I saw him miss very badly on a deep route to Richardson when Richardson was open. But I also saw him make some plays that Kirk didn't always make either. And I think this team has become more of a ball controlled, 1980's style offense than what it was with Kirk Cousins. I'm fine with that. The final outcome for me is a W in the win column. I don't care if they win 3-0, as long as they win. Sure, it's more fun to watch them score a lot of points, and they'll have to be able to score a lot of points if they want playoff wins, but I don't really understand how comparing Alex Smith to Kirk Cousins really helps at this point? For what it's worth, Cousins is playing on a stacked Minnesota team right now, and they're 4-4-1. I do not believe for one minute that the 'skins are as talented on offense as the Vikings are, and if Cousins was still in Washington with this crew, I don't know we'd be better off. Maybe, or maybe not. The way I see it is, Alex Smith is our quarterback, and as long as he's not turning the ball over and we're winning, then I'm fine with that. Keep in mind, there was a horrible Giants team at the end of last year that the 'skins should have steam-rolled and we lost.
I don't mean to rain on the parade of a first place team but I'm thinking more big picture and long term.

The guy we gave up on is playing better than the guy who replaced him that is beyond debate, and IMO it didn't have to happen. And this is as good as it gets, in 2 years the Vikes will still have a very good QB, Alex Smith will then be Mark Brunell, and the Redskins management will try to find out which QB they will spend a very high pick on in the draft, a pick they could use at other positions, as they attempt to get a guy as good or better than the guy they moved on from. This is the same draft that produced the names Heath Shuler, Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell, Robert Griffin and others. They have never drafted a good QB, why should we believe they will get it right this time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football