Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2018, 09:09 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
This is starting to feel alot like 2008.. Everyone was celebrating a 6-2 start.. Though most of those wins were luck wins. No wins over 8 points.. It all fell apart in the second half of the season.

And, someone needs to tell Washington to stop drafting WR's. They do even worse with WR's than QBs in the draft. Just remembered that was the year they got Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas sandwiching Fred Davis.. Davis could have been a fine player.. We know how to get TE's..

Who was it that got arrested out by Tyson's Corner after being released? That wasn't Davis, was it?
Fred Davis ....

I had forgotten about him. There is a guy who seemed determined to disprove all the high expectations everyone had.

Yea the Posse was a loooonnnnnggggg time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 12:36 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
What a strange strange season, this has to be the worst 6-3 team I have ever seen. As long as opponents continue to hand us the game we will be fine, but I don't see that happening. There is a guy on another board, hard core Kirk hater, who is actually blaming Davis and his old legs for that overthrow. LOL
That was a horrible throw. That wasn't the only horrible throw I saw Alex Smith have yesterday either. He is definitely struggling and he knows it. But, to be 6-3 not only 1st place in the division, but having a two game lead over the Eagles and Cowboys, I'll take it. I'm not complaining. I don't expect the Redskins to continue winning with all the missed tackles and the poor offensive output, but you have to agree that the makeshift offensive line that the 'skins trotted out on the field yesterday held up much better than expected. They even opened some nice running lanes for Adrian Peterson, and if not for some phantom holding penalties, the running game would've looked more impressive.

Yep, had Smith hit Davis - who was wide open - the offense probably would've have looked as bad. A lot of positives to come out of yesterday's game. Some of those turnovers were created by the Redskins defense, and you have to give them props for denying the Bucs when they drove deep into the redzone.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
This is starting to feel alot like 2008.. Everyone was celebrating a 6-2 start.. Though most of those wins were luck wins. No wins over 8 points.. It all fell apart in the second half of the season.

And, someone needs to tell Washington to stop drafting WR's. They do even worse with WR's than QBs in the draft. Just remembered that was the year they got Malcolm Kelly and Devin Thomas sandwiching Fred Davis.. Davis could have been a fine player.. We know how to get TE's..

Who was it that got arrested out by Tyson's Corner after being released? That wasn't Davis, was it?
I've always felt the two positions that are very tough to get right are quarterback and wide receiver. Which happens to be the two positions on the squad that can really make or break an offense. I think about all of the receivers the Redskins have tried to draft since Joe Gibbs left the first time. Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner, Taylor Jacobs, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Albert Connell, etc..

But we get rid of some I felt were pretty good. James Thrash, Aldrick Robinson, Leonard Hankerson. Not elite wide receivers mind you, but guys who I felt had the potential to get developed into pretty solid receivers, or did develop into pretty solid receivers. And of course, Garcon and D-Jax. They are probably the best receivers since the posse that we have ever gotten rid of after a few seasons.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:17 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I've always felt the two positions that are very tough to get right are quarterback and wide receiver. Which happens to be the two positions on the squad that can really make or break an offense. I think about all of the receivers the Redskins have tried to draft since Joe Gibbs left the first time. Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner, Taylor Jacobs, Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly, Albert Connell, etc..

Don't forget Desmond Howard. Who actually had a good career as a KR/PR. And, the one year he started for Washington was fine for a #3 receiver.

I never quite figured out what happened to Westbrook and Gardner, they weren't great players, but they were a fine #2/#3 receiver. I guess the main issue was that all of them were taken as first rounders, and you expect more than a decent #2/#3 receiver for a first round pick.

Of course, Westbrook and Stephen Davis getting into a fight probably had something to do with him not returning.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Don't forget Desmond Howard. Who actually had a good career as a KR/PR. And, the one year he started for Washington was fine for a #3 receiver.

I never quite figured out what happened to Westbrook and Gardner, they weren't great players, but they were a fine #2/#3 receiver. I guess the main issue was that all of them were taken as first rounders, and you expect more than a decent #2/#3 receiver for a first round pick.

Of course, Westbrook and Stephen Davis getting into a fight probably had something to do with him not returning.
I think Westbrook continued playing after that incident. But, you're right, you don't draft a wide receiver in the first round to be a #2 or #3 unless your #1 is so freakin' outstanding that your #2 receiver could pass as everybody else's #1 receiver. Gardner seemed to have an attitude problem. He was definitely not a high character guy. But, he seemed like he could play. I mean, look back at the posse. Gary Clark and Ricky Sanders started their careers in the USFL, so it wasn't like they were drafted #1 by the Redskins. Art Monk has really been the only receiver that the 'skins have drafted in the first round that turned out to be worth the draft pick.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:35 PM

16,282 posts, read 10,424,652 times
Let's be honest, the Redskins draft history has as many misses at other positions as well, it just hurts more when it's a first rounder. But they seem to be doing better the past 2 drafts.

Old 11-12-2018, 04:03 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Let's be honest, the Redskins draft history has as many misses at other positions as well, it just hurts more when it's a first rounder. But they seem to be doing better the past 2 drafts.

Yeah.. Well.. Look at this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin...ory#2018_Draft

Just work your way back.. And find the first one, that we haven't discussed already that makes you shake your head.

Bacarri Rambo is the one that hits me.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Yeah.. Well.. Look at this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washin...ory#2018_Draft

Just work your way back.. And find the first one, that we haven't discussed already that makes you shake your head.

Bacarri Rambo is the one that hits me.
Without looking at the list I believe Rambo was a 6th so I can't hate on that pick. I will review the Casserly years and ask again why he is not criticized more. He still has supporters who credit him for the SB win with Bethard's players.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:37 AM

OK that link was interesting, surprised how many names I remembered. I knew the 1980 draft was good but holy smokes. i didn't remember Didier was a 12th rounder. LOL at all the drafts in the '70's that didn't start until the late rounds.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:57 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,580 times
Oh no! Alex Smith just got rolled up on and it appears that he has broken his leg...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football