Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2020, 11:05 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,500,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Really sorry to read this. The punk who wrote this didn't even have the guts to identify him/herself. You are one of the more positive Redskins fans, there's nothing wrong with believing in your team while acknowledging all of their issues. Only an ass would make that comment to you.

As for me as you know I've all but thrown in the towel. While everything that has happened recently, starting with the firing of Gruden, securing the #2 pick, firing Bruce, the hiring of Rivera and Del Rio, are all very positive moves I remain skeptical. We've heard heard this "hiring a football guy and giving him full control" BS before. It's hard for me not to believe that as long as Snyder is the owner nothing will change. But then again the Bengals were one personal foul away from advancing in the playoffs a few year, the Cardinals actually made a Super Bowl. So I guess anything is possible.
Thanks Dave! I know we, sometimes, tend to be on opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to the Redskins, but I always enjoy and respect your comments. I also enjoy when we can debate certain Redskins issues, because in the end, we both want the same thing - for the Redskins to be good again, consistently!

I'm all in for Rivera and giving him total control. That being said, I'm most certainly cautious with my optimism. And just so everyone knows, I don't believe this team is going to make the playoffs next year or even have a winning record. I DO expect them to be improved, but it's going to be a process, and I'm willing to give them the time they need to get it done. Like anybody else, I remain skeptical as long as Dan Snyder is the owner, but I do feel like football will be a little more enjoyable than it was this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 11:42 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,770,553 times
New coach, high draft pick, Snyder will continue his tradition of finishing near the top during the offseason. This time is no different. There will be a Rivera-Snyder power struggle within the next couple years no matter what.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:51 AM

17,693 posts, read 15,415,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Thanks Dave! I know we, sometimes, tend to be on opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to the Redskins, but I always enjoy and respect your comments. I also enjoy when we can debate certain Redskins issues, because in the end, we both want the same thing - for the Redskins to be good again, consistently!

I'm all in for Rivera and giving him total control. That being said, I'm most certainly cautious with my optimism. And just so everyone knows, I don't believe this team is going to make the playoffs next year or even have a winning record. I DO expect them to be improved, but it's going to be a process, and I'm willing to give them the time they need to get it done. Like anybody else, I remain skeptical as long as Dan Snyder is the owner, but I do feel like football will be a little more enjoyable than it was this year.

Well, hell.. They can't very well do a whole lot WORSE than this year, could they? We're pretty much at the threshold of hell. lol.

Way too early to speculate about a record because.. We have no idea what the team is going to look like. Scherff is a FA. Who comes back on the secondary? If Greg G-D Stroman is a starter, I'm not enthused.

What's going to happen at QB? We only have Alex Smith and Dwayne Haskins on roster.

Bostic, Davis, Flowers, Keenum, McCoy, Penn, Scherff and Thompson are all FAs. Jordan Reed.. Likely his career is over. I hope so, at least, for his sake. I still remember the hit about 6 years ago where he was laid out unconscious on the field. He needs to worry about him and retire. And, of course.. What happens with Trent Williams? Can Rivera/Snyder/new GM convince him to come back? Seems his issue was mainly with Allen, but.. it'd be awful hard to come back because the owner, especially THIS owner, could have stepped in and smoothed things over. And, perhaps some of that happened in the background. So, I won't be shocked if he comes back, but I will be surprised.

What happens with Guice? He's going into year 3 of his rookie contract. This is the make-or-break year for him. If he can't stay healthy, he won't get the 5th year deal, which means, Bryce Love will get the feature. What happens with Peterson? I certainly hope they keep him, though if he gets an offer where he'd get significant playing time, I'd hope we wouldn't stand in his way.

What QBs do we keep? I can't imagine Keenum would re-sign to be a backup or possible third stringer (Pending on Smith).. So, I'd guess we go with Haskins, McCoy and Smith. The question will be, whether Smith can pass a physical.

WR.. We could use a good FA pickup here, but this is certainly one of the stronger parts of the team. Sims x 2, McLaurin and Quinn I like all. Richardson is still under contract, though he had a bad year. Which.. I mean, this guy has only played 16 games in a season once in his career. Paying this guy about $8 million a year for ~300 yards a year. Seriously, this guy, over his career, averages 301.5 yards per year. $8 million. That's $26,534/yard. Like to see a 3rd/4th round pick used here.

wow.. I just talked myself into hating Paul Richardson.

TE.. Even without Reed.. Need someone there, but it's not bad. I like Hentges.. Sprinkle isn't bad. The unit isn't as good without Reed, but.. No kidding.

OL.. Draft, draft, draft. Especially if we don't keep Scherff.

DL should be gold. Del Rio, a 4-3, Rivera.. There is just an overload of talent there. We should be talking whether opponents will have positive or negative rushing yards for the game. We SHOULD be the #1 rushing defense in the NFL. That being said, we SHOULD have been #1 THIS year, and we were #31 ( Based on total yards)

LB isn't a concern, other than Reuben Foster. He's just going to be a distraction. I don't think people have forgotten, and even if they have.. They'll be reminded. Even though.. The guy I think does deserve a second chance. God, fate or time handled his punishment with that torn ACL. None of the allegations were proven.. but there's an awful lot of smoke there, and there must be a short leash.

DBs.. what a mess. overhaul. There's some talent there, but.. It's not shining through. Step up or step out. Draft. 2nd rounder.

Kicking game is fine. Both punting and FG.

Draft.. as I've said.. we need to trade back that 2nd overall pick. The question will be, how far back do we go? I do think Isaiah Simmons would be a fantastic pick. Mock drafts have him going 4th to the Giants.. I would take him over Chase Young. Just such as versatile player. he's a game changer, and.. The only reason I say not to trade the 2nd pick is to get him.

What teams might be looking for QBs in the draft.

Bengals.. Burrow is going there, no question.

Detroit. Unlikely, but Stafford is getting up there in age, is a touch fragile. I just mention them because they could surprise by taking one of the top QBs.

Dolphins.. No question they're taking a QB. They have a number of first round picks, as I recall.. Three of them. So, they've got stock to jump up from #5 to #2 to get the QB they want.

Chargers. They need to start looking at replacing Rivers. But I suspect they'll go more for a 2nd to 4th round pick.

Panthers. I doubt Newton returns.

Raiders.. Unlikely, but I don't think Gruden and Carr are a long term situation.

Tampa Bay.. Unlikely Winston returns

New England.. Doubtful they go this route, but..

New Orleans.. they have to look to the future, and what do they do about Bridgewater? He's going to be sought after.

Tennessee.. I think they're happy with Tannehill.

Green Bay.. they have to start thinking about replacing Rodgers, but.. Not this year.

Some of these teams will just go with a recycle. Bridgewater, Winston, Newton will all be available.. As will Keenum, most likely. And Mariota, for that matter.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:26 PM

I think we're thinking into this waaaaaay too much. Let's pump the brakes and just enjoy the fact that we don't have Bruce Allen mucking things up in the FO anymore. Let Snyder try to win the stadium deal (lol) and take care of all of that bees wax while Rivera and company run the football side of things.

I'm starting to believe in the possibility that Snyder moves the team somewhere else. And when I say somewhere else, I'm not just talking Maryland, DC, or Virginia. I'm thinking if he is given the opportunity, he might be inclined to move the team to another part of the country. His "take it or we leave" ultimatum to the Maryland legislature is probably going go over like a lead balloon. I believe Maryland would be more than fine with the Redskins leaving, and seeing as how the DC officials won't let Snyder have the old RFK site unless the name gets changed, that leaves Virginia. Personally, I'd love to see the Redskins move into Virginia, but not in NoVa. I'd love to see them move to central or southern VA. The rest of the state could benefit from the revenue generated, although those folks would have a hard tax burden if Virginia agreed to help Snyder out.

That being said, I might would be willing to attend more games. Driving all the way up to Maryland to see a Redskins game is just too much for me. I'm OK staying home and watching them on the computer/TV.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:44 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,055,306 times
The Richmond Redskins?

Old 01-27-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
The Richmond Redskins?

I was thinking even further south into the state. Maybe even closer to the Blacksburg / Roanoke area. Not necessarily saying to build a stadium IN those two areas, but a place close by. I guess I'm thinking more centralized VA. Virginia Redskins. Doesn't quite sound the same I suppose, but I could get used to it.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:45 PM

16,382 posts, read 10,505,599 times
There is not a chance the owners will let him move the team to remote locations such as Roanoke or Richmond. Think the stadium looked empty in Landover, imaging the look when they start losing in Roanoke.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:16 PM

26,702 posts, read 41,840,290 times
If Dan was going to move the team into Virginia. The only location even worthy of considering would be the Norfolk and VA Beach area mainly because it’s sheer size of 1.7 million in the metro area and it is a longtime Redskins area of partial support. Of course for that to happen 7 cities of government would have to cooperate at the same time and agree, which from a native of that area, ain’t gonna happen. Plus the lack of corporate presence will not exactly excite owners.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:20 PM

17,693 posts, read 15,415,747 times
Norman and Richardson are gone.. Neither a particular surprise. Richardson just can't stay healthy.

Old 02-25-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
There is not a chance the owners will let him move the team to remote locations such as Roanoke or Richmond. Think the stadium looked empty in Landover, imaging the look when they start losing in Roanoke.
In reality, they will move them to where they can have access to the Metro. But in absolute reality, they'll wind up building a new stadium in the spot where the existing stadium is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football