Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 01:01 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,475,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I still don't think this team will do well but I can't even imagine how they would do without AP. He has been far better than I would have imagined. I also know they got 4 sacks last week but is anyone happy with this pass rush? They didn't get there too often on Sunday or in the first 2 games.
Considering how awful and nonexistent the pass rush was with this defense prior to Greg Manusky, I'm OK with it. It's only three games. Still plenty more to go. I'm very surprised with the pass rush from D'Ron Payne. He was drafted to be a run stopper, so it's an extra added bonus to have him pressuring the QB. It's going to take a few games for that defensive front to gel, but I think we'll be OK as long as those guys remain healthy. We, by far, have the most talented, best defensive front we've had in a very long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
True.. The other thing to remember.. Take someone like Norv Turner. Hard to say he hasn't been an excellent OC in his various stops. But as a HC? Too lax. Inmates run the asylum under him, which I believe is the reason he is a poor head coach.

Norv might do well as a HC if he put dictator style coordinators below him. Not everyone can be the good guy and not everyone can be bad guys.
Yeah, Norv definitely took the calm approach. Which, honestly, wasn't much different from Joe Gibbs' demeanor. However, Gibbs had a way of getting his players to respect him and play to their fullest potential.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:16 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Yeah, Norv definitely took the calm approach. Which, honestly, wasn't much different from Joe Gibbs' demeanor. However, Gibbs had a way of getting his players to respect him and play to their fullest potential.

Joe wouldn't yell, but there was no question that Joe was the boss. And.. He didn't have the calmest coordinators, either as I recall.. I mean, none of them were like the Boston College head coach, but.. If you ever see BC play a game, watch that coach. Guy looks like he's constantly about to have a stroke.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Joe wouldn't yell, but there was no question that Joe was the boss. And.. He didn't have the calmest coordinators, either as I recall.. I mean, none of them were like the Boston College head coach, but.. If you ever see BC play a game, watch that coach. Guy looks like he's constantly about to have a stroke.
Another calm demeanor is Ron Rivera. You would think the opposite of him being from that old '85 Chicago Bears defense, but the dude is like a statue sometimes.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Another calm demeanor is Ron Rivera. You would think the opposite of him being from that old '85 Chicago Bears defense, but the dude is like a statue sometimes.

Yeah, I recall Singletary generally being about to blow a gasket during his season coaching the 49ers.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:16 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,871,803 times
Quote:
Yes.

Also the fact that he could bring out the best effort regarding the guy under center. To get three Super Bowl victories with three different quarterbacks to me says a lot about him. That has never happened before in NFL history.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:24 PM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
Considering how awful and nonexistent the pass rush was with this defense prior to Greg Manusky, I'm OK with it. It's only three games. Still plenty more to go. I'm very surprised with the pass rush from D'Ron Payne. He was drafted to be a run stopper, so it's an extra added bonus to have him pressuring the QB. It's going to take a few games for that defensive front to gel, but I think we'll be OK as long as those guys remain healthy. We, by far, have the most talented, best defensive front we've had in a very long time.

No doubt it's the best front in years, and I understand the Bama boys are young, but I was expecting a much better run defense as well as more consistent inside push. Not sure what is wrong with Zach Brown but we need last year's Zach Brown to support the run defense.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Yes.

Also the fact that he could bring out the best effort regarding the guy under center. To get three Super Bowl victories with three different quarterbacks to me says a lot about him. That has never happened before in NFL history.
And, it makes you think, anytime people discuss the best coaches in NFL history, they always seem to omit Joe Gibbs. The excuses go back to the strike years. "1982 shouldn't count because they only played nine games that season." And 1987, "Four of those games weren't even played with the regular players!" Nobody else would place an * next to their season if it was their teams winning the Super Bowl those years. The fact that Gibbs took his teams and won it all in those years shouldn't diminish his accomplishments as a head coach in the NFL. The fact is, he took the 'skins to 4 Super Bowls, and 5 NFC championship games. To come away with three Lombardi trophies with three different quarterbacks is an amazing accomplishment.

I look back on this first tenture - only one sub .500 season.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:16 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times
Quote:
And, it makes you think, anytime people discuss the best coaches in NFL history, they always seem to omit Joe Gibbs. The excuses go back to the strike years. "1982 shouldn't count because they only played nine games that season." And 1987, "Four of those games weren't even played with the regular players!" Nobody else would place an * next to their season if it was their teams winning the Super Bowl those years. The fact that Gibbs took his teams and won it all in those years shouldn't diminish his accomplishments as a head coach in the NFL. The fact is, he took the 'skins to 4 Super Bowls, and 5 NFC championship games. To come away with three Lombardi trophies with three different quarterbacks is an amazing accomplishment.

When he retired the first time The Post had his record, cut it out and framed it. He was one Chip Low and Wide miss from having an 8-8 record as his worst, then his playoff record was something like 13-3

It is funny how the fans' reaction changes week to week based on the last game results. Everyone around here is really positive, they see a team in first place. A week and a half ago there was doom and gloom, now they get a win that was kind of gifted to them with the Packers drops/penalties and suddenly everyone's all excited. I look for that to change after Monday night.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Three games with replacements. but, those games show what a great coach he was. The last game against Dallas was replacement players against most of Dallas' starters. And he was using a backup QB that was released from jail to play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
When he retired the first time The Post had his record, cut it out and framed it. He was one Chip Low and Wide miss from having an 8-8 record as his worst, then his playoff record was something like 13-3

It is funny how the fans' reaction changes week to week based on the last game results. Everyone around here is really positive, they see a team in first place. A week and a half ago there was doom and gloom, now they get a win that was kind of gifted to them with the Packers drops/penalties and suddenly everyone's all excited. I look for that to change after Monday night.
Nah.. No way it was 13-3.. I'll have to look it up... 16-5 is what it was. I knew they had lost more than 3 games, because they made the playoffs dang near every year. Don't get me wrong.. 16-5 is still a great record. Not arguing that.. Just.. Accuracy... He was 18-7 counting the return years, which is still great.

When he retired the first time he had like the 2nd or 3rd best winning percentage of any coach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football