Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 07:56 AM

8,636 posts, read 9,150,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
How come the Redskins offensive line has gone south so quickly? Wasn't it considered at least a decent unit going into the seaon? Bring back Len Hauss and Vince Promuto!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bring back the hogs!
Publicity is now going squarely against Danny boy big time. John Riggins said on his radio program that Danny is a good businessman pertaining to revenue generated by the Redskins but runs the football end of it like a child. Casserley stated he needs to step aside and hire a real GM. Jack Kent Cooke's son is now talking and is sickened by what he sees as the demise of a great franchise. He also said he had a meeting with Snyder during negotiations with purchasing of the Skins and was so angry with him that he stated he never wanted to meet that man again. Dan Snyder is now really feeling the heat, and it is going to get worse. My prediction is Zorn is gone after this Monday and someone in the franchise will take over coaching temporarily. This team is so bad the game of internal politics is the new game in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,797,030 times
Snyder never ceases to amaze me. Rare is the person who is so arrogant that it blinds him to reality. He really cannot fathom the damage he is causing.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 AM

26,231 posts, read 49,100,094 times
It would be nice if the NFL Commissioner had the power and authority to take a team away from its owner. Redskin fans can only dream, unless they start a huge negative PR campaign with the help of the local papers and national press.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 AM

776 posts, read 1,276,929 times
The problem is, Danny Snyder is Al Davis in spades. Not the Al Davis from the 1970s-80s who won Superbowls. But the clueless, meddling Al Davis who drove the Raiders into the ground.

Al Davis will be gone in a decade or so. Danny Snyder will be with the Redskins for another forty years.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It would be nice if the NFL Commissioner had the power and authority to take a team away from its owner. Redskin fans can only dream, unless they start a huge negative PR campaign with the help of the local papers and national press.
I'm amazed from yesterday to today how negative the local media has come down on him big time. This is the first time its happened at this magnitude.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,066,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I'm amazed from yesterday to today how negative the local media has come down on him big time. This is the first time its happened at this magnitude.
Good, I hope it continues. It's nice to hear the local perspective from the DC area, thanks for posting and keep them coming.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 PM

13,656 posts, read 20,797,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Indeed. They used to kiss his butt. Anything in the name of access to the team. Now that the premium value of access has gone down in flames, they are finally being honest and slamming the little munchkin.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Interesting articles:

Hall of Famer Largent supports Zorn
October 21, 2009 2:33 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

Hall of Famer Steve Largent described Redskins coach Jim Zorn as his daily confidant before blasting team owner Daniel Snyder and the organization during an interview with Mitch Levy of KJR radio in Seattle.

Among the highlights:
Largent called Snyder's decision to name Sherm Lewis playcaller "a joke" and an embarrassment for the organization.
Largent said he thought Snyder revoked play-calling duties in an effort to force Zorn to resign.
Zorn did consider resigning, but decided against it because he isn't a quitter.
The Redskins do not have the talent to succeed for Zorn, Joe Gibbs or anyone else.
Snyder doesn't know what he wants in a coach.
Largent and Zorn played together in Seattle from 1976-1984.

I know a few Redskins fans would like for me to focus on the addition of offensive tackle Levi Jones, but it's tough to ignore the elephant in the room. The Skins are an organization on the brink, and who knows what will happen next. There have been reports this week that former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was offered the head-coaching position, but he declined because he didn't feel like the current situation was conducive to turning the team around.

If those reports are true, I think Shanahan's made a wise choice. No matter how much money owner Dan Snyder's willing to play, most folks don't like being set up for failure. That's why I feel sorry for temporary head coach Jim Zorn. There's a chance he would've been a decent offensive coordinator -- but he was given a bump in title when Snyder and his right-hand man, Vinny Cerrato, couldn't find a splashy enough name to become head coach.

On Monday, native Washingtonian and my former colleague at the Dallas Morning News, Kevin Blackistone, called his beloved Redskins the "worst-run franchise in pro sports in the country, if not on the planet."
"This isn't an easily won designation," writes Blackistone. "There are a lot of poorly run sports teams around, like Al Davis' Oakland Raiders, Donald Sterling's Los Angeles Clippers and Peter Angelos' Baltimore Orioles. But those teams aren't on the Forbes magazine list of ten highest valued sports franchises on earth like Washington."

The Redskins are third on that list, right behind the Dallas Cowboys. Of the top three teams on the list, only Manchester United of the English Premier League has experienced consistent playoff success over the past decade or so. Of course, the Skins' 2-3 record in the playoffs during the Snyder era beats what Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has accomplished during that same time period, but I think it's fair to say that Jones enjoys a better relationship with his club's fan base than Snyder has with his.

The Redskins are embarrassing themselves on many levels right now -- and it all starts with Snyder. Sally Jenkins of the Post thinks that firing Cerrato and replacing him with a strong general manager might be a good place to start. And while that sounds logical, it certainly doesn't sound like something Snyder would do.

Also:

"I know a few Redskins fans would like for me to focus on the addition of offensive tackle Levi Jones, but it's tough to ignore the elephant in the room. The Skins are an organization on the brink, and who knows what will happen next. There have been reports this week that former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan was offered the head-coaching position, but he declined because he didn't feel like the current situation was conducive to turning the team around.

If those reports are true, I think Shanahan's made a wise choice. No matter how much money owner Dan Snyder's willing to play, most folks don't like being set up for failure. That's why I feel sorry for temporary head coach Jim Zorn. There's a chance he would've been a decent offensive coordinator -- but he was given a bump in title when Snyder and his right-hand man, Vinny Cerrato, couldn't find a splashy enough name to become head coach.

On Monday, native Washingtonian and my former colleague at the Dallas Morning News, Kevin Blackistone, called his beloved Redskins the "worst-run franchise in pro sports in the country, if not on the planet."
"This isn't an easily won designation," writes Blackistone. "There are a lot of poorly run sports teams around, like Al Davis' Oakland Raiders, Donald Sterling's Los Angeles Clippers and Peter Angelos' Baltimore Orioles. But those teams aren't on the Forbes magazine list of ten highest valued sports franchises on earth like Washington."

The Redskins are third on that list, right behind the Dallas Cowboys. Of the top three teams on the list, only Manchester United of the English Premier League has experienced consistent playoff success over the past decade or so. Of course, the Skins' 2-3 record in the playoffs during the Snyder era beats what Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has accomplished during that same time period, but I think it's fair to say that Jones enjoys a better relationship with his club's fan base than Snyder has with his.

The Redskins are embarrassing themselves on many levels right now -- and it all starts with Snyder. Sally Jenkins of the Post thinks that firing Cerrato and replacing him with a strong general manager might be a good place to start. And while that sounds logical, it certainly doesn't sound like something Snyder would do.

I have a list of two or three excellent young candidates for a GM position in the league, but I hate to waste it on the Redskins."

Old 10-21-2009, 06:31 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,748,681 times
Fail to the Redskins
Fail Dan and Vinny
6 coaches in 10 seasons
a crappy stadium out in PG!

bad coaches, soft players, you want to pay them more
lawsuits against fans until you make them poor
fight on, fight on, til you have lost all of Washington
hey, hey, hey!

Fail to the Redskins
Fail Dan and Vinny
a phone book to sit on when you're eating
buying clothes that could fit a baby!

firings, hirings, lawsuits you want a lot more
people in DC cheering for Baltimore

Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Fail to the Redskins
Fail Dan and Vinny
6 coaches in 10 seasons
a crappy stadium out in PG!

bad coaches, soft players, you want to pay them more
lawsuits against fans until you make them poor
hey, hey, hey!

Fail to the Redskins
Fail Dan and Vinny
a phone book to sit on when you're eating
buying clothes that could fit a baby!

firings, hirings, lawsuits you want a lot more
people in DC cheering for Baltimore
Cute, however life long Washingtonians do not root for Baltimore. Baltimore might as well be a thousand miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football