Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2017, 06:07 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yep, dak prescott is a class act for sure.
Have to admit, as a Giant fan I was not disappointed Dallas lost. However, I will say this...Prescott showed ALOT yesterday. He is a pro beyond his years, and if Dallas had even a slightly above average defense I do think they go to the SB. Having to watch him and Elliott the next 5 or 10 years will not be fun for the rest of the NFC East. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Dallas needs to work on the defense. I want them to rid themselves of the "bend but don't break" philosophy. It just seems the team wants to be this identity but not fully committed to being that identity. Which is a physical bully you, smash mouth timing offense.

On offense, love Witten, but it's time to look for another TE. Also, a second receiver is in need. A receiver that that spreads the field. But most of the resources this year is defense, defense, defense.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Have to admit, as a Giant fan I was not disappointed Dallas lost. However, I will say this...Prescott showed ALOT yesterday. He is a pro beyond his years, and if Dallas had even a slightly above average defense I do think they go to the SB. Having to watch him and Elliott the next 5 or 10 years will not be fun for the rest of the NFC East. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dallas needs to work on the defense. I want them to rid themselves of the "bend but don't break" philosophy. It just seems the team wants to be this identity but not fully committed to being that identity. Which is a physical bully you, smash mouth timing offense.

On offense, love Witten, but it's time to look for another TE. Also, a second receiver is in need. A receiver that that spreads the field. But most of the resources this year is defense, defense, defense.
dallas has a good defense, they just needed to be a bit better against green bay.

as far as receivers go, backing up witten si gavin escobar, a fine tight end in the same mold as witten. he sits on the bench a lot though because witten is extremely competitive and wants to play every down if he can. and of course we cant foret about geoff swaim either.

as for other receivers, apparently you are overlooking terrance williams, bryce butler, cole beasley, and lucky whitehead. all good receivers, and dont forget lance dunbar coming out of the backfield, or even lining up in the slot. butler needs a little more seasoning, but he will do just fine. and terrance williams is really starting to come into his own as a receiver. he dropped a lot of balls early, but he is holding on to them of late, and has become very effective. and beasley, this guy is a lot like witten, just shorter. he is an excellent ball control receiver, and gets a goods yards after the catch.

lucky whitehead hasnt done much as a receiver, yet, but give him time, he will. dallas likes to use him on the fly sweep or as a decoy to make defenses choose between him and elliot. whitehead has a lot of speed, and would be a good number two or three receiver opposite bryant.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
dallas has a good defense, they just needed to be a bit better against green bay.

as far as receivers go, backing up witten si gavin escobar, a fine tight end in the same mold as witten. he sits on the bench a lot though because witten is extremely competitive and wants to play every down if he can. and of course we cant foret about geoff swaim either.

as for other receivers, apparently you are overlooking terrance williams, bryce butler, cole beasley, and lucky whitehead. all good receivers, and dont forget lance dunbar coming out of the backfield, or even lining up in the slot. butler needs a little more seasoning, but he will do just fine. and terrance williams is really starting to come into his own as a receiver. he dropped a lot of balls early, but he is holding on to them of late, and has become very effective. and beasley, this guy is a lot like witten, just shorter. he is an excellent ball control receiver, and gets a goods yards after the catch.

lucky whitehead hasnt done much as a receiver, yet, but give him time, he will. dallas likes to use him on the fly sweep or as a decoy to make defenses choose between him and elliot. whitehead has a lot of speed, and would be a good number two or three receiver opposite bryant.
I'm sorry but I disagree. Escobar has been here for four years. It's time to move on. Not a good blocker as well. Swaim is still raw but he was great at blocking. I'm not overlooking T-Will or Brice. Neither are number 2 receivers. Cole is a slot receiver. Not a number 2 either. Whitehead is not a good receiver. We can definitely improve from that. If you can improve your number 2 receiver, do it. Not to mention, again, we have no receiver that can stretch the field. We have a bunch of possession receivers. Where is the Alvin Harper of this offense? Or the Kevin Williams? Whitehead has speed but that's about it. His route running is terrible and no he would not be good number 2 on the opposite of Byrant. If Whitehead is our number 2, we have serious problems.

As far as our defense. This defense is bend but don't break. This philosophy must change. We need to be an attacking defense. A defense that gets after the quarterback. We have little elite talent up front. The secondary is devoid of ballhawks. Good tacklers which is why you didn't see many yac's but terrible ball skills which is also why you saw that we ranked 26th in the league in yards. Up front you had inconsistent pressure and no rush from our ends. This was going to catch up to us sooner or later and it did. Rodgers abused the defense. Ryan would have done the same. Ben did it in November. You did not want to get into a shootout with Green Bay last night and we did.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:26 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,060 times
So they were down 21-3 and came back and tied the game. I am very proud of the team. Both teams played well, granted we had some penalties. But our rookie QB against Rodgers, was not too shabby. The game cam down to the last second! i even had Green Bay fans tell me they were nervous and we played a great game. Hopefully,they keep it up and build on this season in the future.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:12 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Escobar.. agreed. he can go.
I do think they need to address TE in the draft. Witten is great but don't wait until he falls of a cliff before you have a replacement. Plus Witten is a possession guy, 10 yards turns around and bam.. not much 'yards after catch' .. he has certainly lost a step..

I like Terrance Williams but certainly think we can do better.. THe problem is, the Cowboys draft WRs in late rounds like they are throwing fribees and none seem to pan out. They either need to draft one high (1st or 2nd) or just run with what they got. I think they need to address the defense in those early rounds and I don't want another 4th or 5th round WR that gets cut before 1st game.

My memory is bad but Kevin Williams?? Certainly Alvin Harper was a good #2 but Kevin Williams? I don't remember him being that great a WR but he was a great kick/punt returner.. But that speed that K.Williams had set him apart. Terrance doesn't have that type of speed to get deep.. i think T.Williams is slower than Dez.. not that Dez is slow. I get it now.. you want a burner at #2 to stretch the defense. and T.Williams certainly is NOT that. I think the fact that the Cowboys are constantly drafting WR shows they want to replace Williams but are not willing to do it early in the draft.

I still contend they need an edge rusher first and foremost. Pressure on the QB can make the secondary look like gangbusters.. everything would be icing on the cake. Derreck Barnett DE out of TEnn. I watched him a lot this year.. he broke Reggie Whites all time sack record for UT.. he could be available that late in the 1st round.. we'll see but thats my early 2017 wish..

Old 01-17-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Escobar.. agreed. he can go.
I do think they need to address TE in the draft. Witten is great but don't wait until he falls of a cliff before you have a replacement. Plus Witten is a possession guy, 10 yards turns around and bam.. not much 'yards after catch' .. he has certainly lost a step..

I like Terrance Williams but certainly think we can do better.. THe problem is, the Cowboys draft WRs in late rounds like they are throwing fribees and none seem to pan out. They either need to draft one high (1st or 2nd) or just run with what they got. I think they need to address the defense in those early rounds and I don't want another 4th or 5th round WR that gets cut before 1st game.

My memory is bad but Kevin Williams?? Certainly Alvin Harper was a good #2 but Kevin Williams? I don't remember him being that great a WR but he was a great kick/punt returner.. But that speed that K.Williams had set him apart. Terrance doesn't have that type of speed to get deep.. i think T.Williams is slower than Dez.. not that Dez is slow. I get it now.. you want a burner at #2 to stretch the defense. and T.Williams certainly is NOT that. I think the fact that the Cowboys are constantly drafting WR shows they want to replace Williams but are not willing to do it early in the draft.

I still contend they need an edge rusher first and foremost. Pressure on the QB can make the secondary look like gangbusters.. everything would be icing on the cake. Derreck Barnett DE out of TEnn. I watched him a lot this year.. he broke Reggie Whites all time sack record for UT.. he could be available that late in the 1st round.. we'll see but thats my early 2017 wish..
That's what I mostly meant for Kevin Williams. Not that he was a great number 2. But a KR and a serviceable WR. Whitehead wasn't on his level IMO. As far as the Barnett out of Tenn. It will be tough. I don't know if he will fall to Dallas though. Woudl love to see it.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak4 View Post
I agree and not blizting Rodgers on 3rd and 20 was even more stupid.
really? once again you forget that rodgers is a master at sucking defenses, escaping and making plays anyway.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:59 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
really? once again you forget that rodgers is a master at sucking defenses, escaping and making plays anyway.
But rushing 3? Questionable decision at best. LOL..how often does a 3 man rush work against pro qb's EVER.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:59 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
As a lifelong Packer fan, I give the Cowboys immense respect and props.
I admit if the game goes into overtime the Pack loses----we were running out of steam and Rodgers pulled another rabbit out of the hat.
I would love to have the Cowboys roster and potential----they are going to be a powerhouse for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football