Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2017, 08:32 AM

20,517 posts, read 33,565,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
At the time I didn't really think it was a smart move to spike the ball on first down on the final drive because it cost them a down. I wasn't even really thinking about the extra time that it would potentially leave on the clock either. Not spiking it on first down could have won Dallas the game potentially.
It was a terrible decision. We wondered what they were doing there. I would have ran the ball once because the packers were on their heels. They were bailed out on that spike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 08:43 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,804,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmillion83 View Post
The Cowboys should feel some optimism and will be the favorites in the NFC East but

Everything went right for them this year with health and some luck. I expect things to be more of a dogfight next year in the division with the Eagles being improved. They'll also draw the AFC West which will be tougher than this year's AFC North. On top of the divisions, they'll get the first place Packers, Falcons and Seahawks. The only pushover teams they'll draw is San Fran & the Rams.

Can they also stay healthy on both sides of the ball? In years past, we've seen injuries to Bryant, Sean Lee and others that killed their season. Besides Bryant missing a few games, they were completely healthy this year. I'm not bashing Dallas here but in this age of parity it's an outside shot to win 12 or 13 games again. They'll be the favorites but will have to earn their way to the playoffs.
As long as Dallas has their lineman locked up for the next few years, they will have no issues competing. That line is the best in football and is a large reason their team won 13 games this year. They had 3 guys on the All Pro First Team for 2016.

NFC East as of right now, is going to be a division to watch for 2017. Assuming Washington retains Cousins it's going to be a very tough division next year.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:00 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,666,526 times
Quote:
The Cowboys should feel some optimism and will be the favorites in the NFC East but

Everything went right for them this year with health and some luck. I expect things to be more of a dogfight next year in the division with the Eagles being improved. They'll also draw the AFC West which will be tougher than this year's AFC North. On top of the divisions, they'll get the first place Packers, Falcons and Seahawks. The only pushover teams they'll draw is San Fran & the Rams.

Can they also stay healthy on both sides of the ball? In years past, we've seen injuries to Bryant, Sean Lee and others that killed their season. Besides Bryant missing a few games, they were completely healthy this year. I'm not bashing Dallas here but in this age of parity it's an outside shot to win 12 or 13 games again. They'll be the favorites but will have to earn their way to the playoffs.
I absolutely expect them to struggle more next year. You are right that until last night, the ball always seemed to bounce their way this year.. I bet they don't win 13 games next year but i do expect them to win 11 or 12 and win the NFC East.. they will be better next year, they may not have as many regular season wins but they will be better and they will advance further in the playoffs.. Its been a LONG time since i really felt that way, now i do and barring injury to Dak .. i am willing to bet on it!

The last 3 playoff winning seasons for the Cowboys have been followed by a disappointing injury filled (specifically ROMO), losing season! ARGH! I think they can overcome any star player injury except for DAK.. the proved this year they can win without Dez.. and god help 'em if they lost Zeke for any length of time.. but loss of DAK would be a train wreck because RIGHT now (or once Romo is officially gone) they HAVE NO BACKUP QB>>>

Old 01-16-2017, 09:44 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,276,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
As long as Dallas has their lineman locked up for the next few years, they will have no issues competing. That line is the best in football and is a large reason their team won 13 games this year. They had 3 guys on the All Pro First Team for 2016.

NFC East as of right now, is going to be a division to watch for 2017. Assuming Washington retains Cousins it's going to be a very tough division next year.
The Cowboys have the opportunity to dominate the NFC East for several years. The Giants will need to make decisions on long-term plans past Eli Manning. The Redskins need to resign Cousins, or shop for a quarterback. The Eagles need another season to find themselves.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:

i agree with you JV, the cowboys had the advantage of a healthy team all year long. that likely wont happen next season, as i expect a few people to go down with injury. however i figure the cowboys will use the draft and free agency to mitigate those issues.

as for not having a back up for next season, is everyone forgetting about kellen moore? he was injured in he preseason, and was out for the season, but he will be back for 2017, and is a very good back up quarterback. all dallas needs now is a number three quarterback, not sanchez. he couldnt navigate his way out of a paper bag with tom brady helping him.

the other thing dallas needs to address is their defense, primarily the secondary. though they did well this year, things are going to get tougher next season, and dallas wont dominate like they did this season. i do figure however that they should win the division again, but with something more like an 11-5 record, splitting with the giants and eagles and sweeping the redskins, though barely.

the NFC east will be a tough division next season.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:04 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,776,187 times
Everyone is analyzing last nights game from the wrong perspective. While it's true, Greenbay is on fire, the Cowboys ARE the better team. The problem was simple and it's called the bye week. Fresh legs, sure, but out of synch, every team is coming off a bye week. And the Cowboys essentially had not played a meaningful game in four weeks until last night.

So what happened? The Cowboys were tight, going through the motions until the third QT, when they started just playing and being the Cowboys they were all year. It was too late.

Don;t believe this bye week phenomenon? Look at New England, they struggled with possibly the worst team to be this far in the playoffs in NFL history. We all know New England to the best team in the league overall and they looked so flat. They will play better next week.

Cowboys were just still for 2 quarters and got behind 21-3 and could not catch up. Had the game started in the 3qt, scoreless with 4 quarters out from, the Cowboys win that game something like 31-13, or by more. They were the better team, just couldn't get it going until it was too late.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:05 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,429,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Wish they had a different coach.
Garrett isn't the problem. Besides, he's not going anywhere.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:17 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Everyone is analyzing last nights game from the wrong perspective. While it's true, Greenbay is on fire, the Cowboys ARE the better team. The problem was simple and it's called the bye week. Fresh legs, sure, but out of synch, every team is coming off a bye week. And the Cowboys essentially had not played a meaningful game in four weeks until last night.

So what happened? The Cowboys were tight, going through the motions until the third QT, when they started just playing and being the Cowboys they were all year. It was too late.

Don;t believe this bye week phenomenon? Look at New England, they struggled with possibly the worst team to be this far in the playoffs in NFL history. We all know New England to the best team in the league overall and they looked so flat. They will play better next week.

Cowboys were just still for 2 quarters and got behind 21-3 and could not catch up. Had the game started in the 3qt, scoreless with 4 quarters out from, the Cowboys win that game something like 31-13, or by more. They were the better team, just couldn't get it going until it was too late.
That's right - I don't believe it. Your sample size of two games is statistically meaningless.

Collectively over the last ten seasons, NFL teams are 39 games over .500 after bye weeks. The reality is that, on average, NFL teams perform better after bye weeks than they do otherwise. That's not simply an opinion, it's what the data shows

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/tre...rly_since_2007

Old 01-16-2017, 12:38 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,008,854 times
It's not just the bye. It's essentially 2 (or even 3) byes in many cases because the teams rest their guys in week 17 too.

Colts losing with Manning a few times, Patriots with Brady, the 15-1 Packers losing to NYG, the 14-2 Chargers, the list goes on.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:38 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,114,562 times
I don't care for Dallas or Green Bay (I'm a Falcons fan). I thought Dallas spent the first 3 quarters playing defense "not to lose"- very tentative and cautious. Against Aaron Rodgers- very stupid. The Cowboys had the better team, but the better team does not always win. I hope Atlanta plays aggressive defensively against Rodgers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football