Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 05:37 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Sorry for the late response ... I'm don't frequent CD anymore.

Let me weigh in on this as a 50+ year Cowboy fan.

First about Witt . . . I look at him as one of the greatest Cowboys ever. His numbers are great although his athletic ability had diminished the last few years (leading to many so-called Cow fans to call for him to retire). I wish he would have had a farewell season tour. Let's face it, he was voted to the Pro-Bowl by his peers last year albeit as an alternate. He still had gas in the tank.

To tie into my first statement about Witt's greatness as a Cowboy I'll put him up there with the most beloved of players in Cowboy stature. In no particular order: Bob Lilly, Roger Staubach, Emmitt Smith, and Jason Witten. All greatest of players and most outstanding men of character. Tom Landry would have been proud to have coached him !

I'll definitely miss you #82 !!!!!!

side note: Again, I would have posted a tribute to Jason Witten earlier. You can find me posting Cowboy stuff at the "Cowboyszone"

Being an Eagles fan DRob I'm sure you remember this play. Broke Witt's jaw (uncalled crown of the helmet to the head hit).
Actually, I don't remember the play. I will now... since you brought it up.

I just like to see people who did well be appreciated - especially in this day when players change teams so often. Appreciate your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 02:56 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,099 times
I am pretty nervous for Dak, as he doesn't appear to have any really good receivers at all to throw to, unless you consider Hurns or Beasley to be good. I want him to succeed but it feels like he's going to be in for a long season unless Gallup develops quickly and one of the young tight ends steps forward.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
we havent even gotten to the pre season yet, and already you are doubting the cowboys receivers. how about waiting until at least the first couple of preseason games have been played before making a judgement. remember few though prescott would be any good at starting quarterback until he got into the first preseason game.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:34 AM

looks like dallas is waking up to their pass defense. the cowboys hired kris richard from seattle;

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018...zekiel-elliott

lets hope he can take the diamond in the rough passing defense dallas has, and refine it into a weapon to be unleashed on opponents.

Old 07-10-2018, 01:22 PM

42 posts, read 35,422 times
Very excited for our cowboys season .

Specifically excited for the defense , very young very fast and very talented .
Last year when they made the changes and started awuzie and Lewis at corner , woods at safety and Frazier at Nickle benching Jones and brown the secondary was near lock down . Gave up fewer than 20 points the last 4 games with the new lineup .

Jaylon smith getting stronger , healthy Sean lee and vander esch we will have a very athletic fast defense

The offense is dak friendly , dak excels at quick screens and slants and physical receivers . Hurns and the rookie Gallup outside both physical . Beasley and tavon Austin speed on slants .
Best o-line in football .

Look out here comes America’s team

Old 07-11-2018, 07:36 AM

part of the reason the defense is getting better is that marenelli is removing the handcuffs on the players. he is finally opening up the defense to play like they are capable of playing.

and yes it helps to have good players in key positions as well.

as for beasley, he is a very good receiver, one of my favorites in fact, but he is not that fast. his strength is that he gets open, catches the ball consistently, and gets yards after the catch, but he has a hard time out running linemen, let alone linebackers and DBs. but he gets the job done.

the team still have a few weaknesses, we need a good deep threat receiver for one, and we need someone to step up at tight end to replace witten. gathers and swaim both are capable, but neither has stepped up yet so we shall see.

over all i like the team that has been put together, can they break through the play off barrier? we shall see.

Old 07-13-2018, 07:41 PM

demarco murray is retiring after seven seasons;

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/...seasons-071318

in other news, garrets seat is not as hot as some might think;

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018...-garretts-seat

Old 07-18-2018, 09:10 PM

796 posts, read 505,506 times
Our "ugly baby" Randy Gregory has been reinstated! Hopefully our D improve this year and I gotta feeling they will. Would've liked to see Earl Thomas help with the safety position.

I hope Dak does well and succeed but I am still a lil worried because of his "sophomore slump" and hoping he held with all the new receivers. Yes, we need a tight end to step up....hoping Rico would be the main one. Also hope the running game gets dominant again like 2016 with Zeke and Bo helping him. Would like for Bo to make the final roster...was impressed with him during his time at Alabama.

Would like the Boys to be the Beast of the East again but not gonna put too much into it.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 PM

prescott wen through his sophomore slump already, and despite the issues the team faced last season, he did pretty well. i think this year he does much better since elliot is back, the offensive line has been bolstered, and with bryant gone defenses may end up keying on the run game to stop it, so the receiver corps will have to step up, which i think they will. gathers and swaim both have showed promise in the past, so we may end up with two good tight ends.

as long as the defense continues to improve, and gregory can return to his previous form, and with the linebacker corps solidified, the defense should be on its game this season.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:30 PM

a few items from the cowboys preseason so far;

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/h...o-really-click

seems prescott and a number of his receivers are starting to click.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/r...-to-the-roster

randy gregory is back in a cowboys uniform and seems to be doing well so far putting his previous issues behind him. good job randy, i hope you all the best in the future.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/s...s-in-scrimmage

seems rico gathers is emerging as the cowboys replacement tight end for jason witten. he seems to be doing well in practice with both prescott and rush. as a side note tavon austin is emerging as a leader in the receiving corps for dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football