Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2018, 05:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times

Advertisements

actually they made the mistake of trying to go up the middle on 3rd and 1 when the defense was ready for it. a better play would have been to fake the hand off and give it to a receiver for an end around, they had success with plays like that earlier in the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 06:22 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually they made the mistake of trying to go up the middle on 3rd and 1 when the defense was ready for it. a better play would have been to fake the hand off and give it to a receiver for an end around, they had success with plays like that earlier in the game.
I can't argue with giving it to your best player. It didn't get blocked... the defense made a good play.

Garrett should have went for it on 4th down. Or at least act like it and try to get them to jump offsides.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:55 AM

796 posts, read 505,506 times
I'm starting to wonder if Dak is good enough to be the Cowboys next franchise QB. Maybe being a back up in the NFL is more suited for him.

Not putting all the blame on him, offense has more issues. But it seems he has issues consistently throwing receivers open. And his accuracy issues are becoming more and more noticeable. I know Boys don't have any dynamic threats at WR that requires double teaming and game planning like Dez in his prime, but Dak has to hit them in stride when they are open. Its like he has to wait until they open to throw to them instead of anticipating. That's not good because DBs in the league close up so quick and him doing that lets DBs know what direction he gonna throw to. Dak still tends to hold on to the ball too long. But I was impressed with the Romo-esque play when he escaped the sack from Clowney and found Austin.

Also, Texans D was daring Dak to beat them with his arm by loading the box and having all eyes on Zeke. If Zeke is off or contained, its like we have no chance. Cowboys need a better passer who can be more accurate consistently and be able to anticipate and throw receivers open more. I just think Boys need more from that position. Also, it would open lanes for Zeke and running game if the passing game improve.

But I would like to see Dak one year with another OC and head coach before writing him off.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:03 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,286,066 times
I don't think it's such a Dak problem. This is an organization problem, starting with the owner and coach. The coach is a yes man to Jerry Jones. This team is not very good and honestly, outside of 2 seasons, hasn't been very good the last decade. They're an 8-8 team. I rather them go 4-12 and build for the future, than be mediocre and settle for 8-8. I'm not even a Cowboys fan and I know this team is never going to hit its ceiling or floor with Jason Garrett. He makes just enough good moves to keep his job and he doesn't make any killer bad moves that threaten his position. Geez, he's a terrible coach when it comes to building a winning team. I've never liked him, but people support him more than any other coach in the league. I think people are just terrified of Jerry Jones, because he carries so much political power within the league. He's the rising tide carries all ships type of business mogul.

The 12-4 Romo season was a flash in the pan. The 12-4 rookie season with Dak and Zeke was a flash in the pan, as teams had no tape on either player. Look where the Eagles were last year compared to this year. Good thing is they won the SB, so they can rest on the SB hangover reasoning.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
I don't think it's such a Dak problem. This is an organization problem, starting with the owner and coach. The coach is a yes man to Jerry Jones. This team is not very good and honestly, outside of 2 seasons, hasn't been very good the last decade. They're an 8-8 team. I rather them go 4-12 and build for the future, than be mediocre and settle for 8-8. I'm not even a Cowboys fan and I know this team is never going to hit its ceiling or floor with Jason Garrett. He makes just enough good moves to keep his job and he doesn't make any killer bad moves that threaten his position. Geez, he's a terrible coach when it comes to building a winning team. I've never liked him, but people support him more than any other coach in the league. I think people are just terrified of Jerry Jones, because he carries so much political power within the league. He's the rising tide carries all ships type of business mogul.

The 12-4 Romo season was a flash in the pan. The 12-4 rookie season with Dak and Zeke was a flash in the pan, as teams had no tape on either player. Look where the Eagles were last year compared to this year. Good thing is they won the SB, so they can rest on the SB hangover reasoning.
Totally agree with u about cowboys having organization and coaching problems. But I disagree that 2014 and 2016 being flash in the pan years. From 2014-2016, that was a window to compete but a narrow window. Boys O-line was dominant those years along with having good running games with Murray and Zeke. Hell, McFadden in 2015 had an 1,000+ year. That helped our offense to be multi-dimensional and take some pressure off Romo. Romo was injured in 2015 and back ups Weeden and Cassel didn't really capitalize and preform well enough. In 2016, Dak looked really good in preseason and regular season along with Zeke. I think its just the window was so narrow and o-line couldn't stay together and Dak haven't been the same since the Falcons game last season when he got sacked all game.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I can't argue with giving it to your best player. It didn't get blocked... the defense made a good play.

Garrett should have went for it on 4th down. Or at least act like it and try to get them to jump offsides.

i agree with that observation. i wondered why they didnt go for it on fourth down that late in the game. however they likely would have called a "safe" play and tried again to run it up the middle and then hit the brick wall and turned the ball over on downs.

i think dallas needs to open up the play book more, and utilize austin more. it seems the texans were very wary of him when they used him in conjunction with zeke, and sometimes keyed on austin instead of zeke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
I'm starting to wonder if Dak is good enough to be the Cowboys next franchise QB. Maybe being a back up in the NFL is more suited for him.

Not putting all the blame on him, offense has more issues. But it seems he has issues consistently throwing receivers open. And his accuracy issues are becoming more and more noticeable. I know Boys don't have any dynamic threats at WR that requires double teaming and game planning like Dez in his prime, but Dak has to hit them in stride when they are open. Its like he has to wait until they open to throw to them instead of anticipating. That's not good because DBs in the league close up so quick and him doing that lets DBs know what direction he gonna throw to. Dak still tends to hold on to the ball too long. But I was impressed with the Romo-esque play when he escaped the sack from Clowney and found Austin.

Also, Texans D was daring Dak to beat them with his arm by loading the box and having all eyes on Zeke. If Zeke is off or contained, its like we have no chance. Cowboys need a better passer who can be more accurate consistently and be able to anticipate and throw receivers open more. I just think Boys need more from that position. Also, it would open lanes for Zeke and running game if the passing game improve.

But I would like to see Dak one year with another OC and head coach before writing him off.

dak is still learning. remember when romo took over the QB duties, he had a lot to learn and it took him a few seasons to really come into his own. i think dak will be the same way. i am also betting that the QB coach is working to change the way dak throw the ball, and if that is the case then right now his throwing motion is screwed up and he will be inconsistent for a awhile. but i have faith he will get better.

as i noted before though i think the cowboys need to open up the playbook more and make teams respect all aspects of the offense not just the run.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Totally agree with u about cowboys having organization and coaching problems. But I disagree that 2014 and 2016 being flash in the pan years. From 2014-2016, that was a window to compete but a narrow window. Boys O-line was dominant those years along with having good running games with Murray and Zeke. Hell, McFadden in 2015 had an 1,000+ year. That helped our offense to be multi-dimensional and take some pressure off Romo. Romo was injured in 2015 and back ups Weeden and Cassel didn't really capitalize and preform well enough. In 2016, Dak looked really good in preseason and regular season along with Zeke. I think its just the window was so narrow and o-line couldn't stay together and Dak haven't been the same since the Falcons game last season when he got sacked all game.
So I skipped the 2015 season. So 3 years instead of 2. It still proves my point that this team isn't really very good. You just had a cluster of seasons where they ran into some unfortunate circumstances, mainly Aaron Rodgers. The Packers were also peaking at that time as well and Dallas has never had much of an answer for Aaron Rodgers. It was like Lebron on Cleveland vs. Toronto Raptors. Lebron played his best basketball against that team in the playoffs and just crushed their spirits, much like what Aaron Rodgers was doing to the Cowboys during that time. Also, Dez was never the same after the "Was it a Catch" game. He absolutely, positively, fell off a cliff.

The Cowboys organization is just a team that really isn't going anywhere. Jerry Jones has the title of America's Team, so they get a lot of Prime Time coverage, even though the product they put out isn't all that great. Jerry Jones makes a lot of money off this team and his stadium is top notch, so maybe everyone has accepted that 8-8 is just good enough.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:00 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
the Cowboys organization is just a team that really isn't going anywhere. Jerry Jones has the title of America's Team, so they get a lot of Prime Time coverage, even though the product they put out isn't all that great. Jerry Jones makes a lot of money off this team and his stadium is top notch, so maybe everyone has accepted that 8-8 is just good enough.
As u know, I dislike them and enjoy when they lose. That being said, Sunday night they were not beaten on the field, they were beaten on the sidelines. I saw some outstanding plays from both teams, and while both teams made a few mistakes, there was enough talent on the Cowboys team to bring hope to the fans.
Problem is, the coaching and play calling. Jason Garrett got beat, plan and simple. The loss goes to him, not the players who put in an effort within the limits of their plays.

If I owned the team, Id fire Garrett and Linehan on the spot, move Marinelli up to interem head coach because he is a hard nose and no nonsense guy who would at least hold players accoutable butvat the same time give them some leewaybto improvise, which he is starting to do with the defense and as aresult that unit is performing better than last year.

Oh, and nothing personal, but is it time to reevaluate Sean Lee? He is a great guy, great leader but hurt way too much. Perhaps hia future as a coach needs to be addressed? He is helpful when he is playing but as his injuries mount, his dependability as a player will be suspect. Not his fault, he reminds me of a certain former Cowboy QB :Heart and Soul in the game, but the body gives out.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
As u know, I dislike them and enjoy when they lose. That being said, Sunday night they were not beaten on the field, they were beaten on the sidelines. I saw some outstanding plays from both teams, and while both teams made a few mistakes, there was enough talent on the Cowboys team to bring hope to the fans.
Problem is, the coaching and play calling. Jason Garrett got beat, plan and simple. The loss goes to him, not the players who put in an effort within the limits of their plays.

If I owned the team, Id fire Garrett and Linehan on the spot, move Marinelli up to interem head coach because he is a hard nose and no nonsense guy who would at least hold players accoutable butvat the same time give them some leewaybto improvise, which he is starting to do with the defense and as aresult that unit is performing better than last year.

Oh, and nothing personal, but is it time to reevaluate Sean Lee? He is a great guy, great leader but hurt way too much. Perhaps hia future as a coach needs to be addressed? He is helpful when he is playing but as his injuries mount, his dependability as a player will be suspect. Not his fault, he reminds me of a certain former Cowboy QB :Heart and Soul in the game, but the body gives out.
And how you feel about Sean Lee is the same way they felt about Romo. He's your ride or die, so you ride him until you can't any longer. Problem is, this isn't like Kobe Bryant and the Lakers, where he's collecting a big salary, but your team is missing the playoffs. Let's count them, 1.2.3.4.5 championships he brought to that franchise. Kobe was going to get whatever he wanted, because he was a Laker for life and brought the purple and gold a handful of championships and brought 2 without Shaq, which was a defining moment in his life.

That is not and was not Tony Romo. Just a guy that was willing to play the game 100%. I loved the man's heart; however, this story could have been written differently if it wasn't for Aaron FREAKING Rodgers. He was a man that just ripped the Cowboys heart out in 2014 and 2016. It's those hurdles that can really hurt a team, because anything can happen in the offseason that disrupts your chances of getting back into the playoffs, nevermind going deep into the playoffs.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
dak is still learning. remember when romo took over the QB duties, he had a lot to learn and it took him a few seasons to really come into his own. i think dak will be the same way. i am also betting that the QB coach is working to change the way dak throw the ball, and if that is the case then right now his throwing motion is screwed up and he will be inconsistent for a awhile. but i have faith he will get better.

as i noted before though i think the cowboys need to open up the playbook more and make teams respect all aspects of the offense not just the run.
I get u. I wonder if Kellen Moore the right one to be the QB coach. I did notice Cooper Rush regressed in preseason versus how he did the year before. I just wonder if new coaching or a change in scenery would help Dak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football