Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2018, 04:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times

Advertisements

still waiting on their seventh round pick, but the cowboys have had an interesting draft;

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/draft-results

two linebackers, two wide receivers, a tight end, an offensive lineman, and a quarterback. one pick left, who will they go with at 236?

number 236 for the cowboys is a running back, bo scarborough from alabama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 11:45 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,635,276 times
Draft rated here by Pro Football Focus.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...l-draft-grades
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-nfl-draft-grades

Now, for sure, the draft can't be truly graded for several years but PFF went out on a limb and put grades on each team's draft. For the record I don't really agree with some of these early assessments but it was interesting click bait. Cows, GB, NYJ scored the only elite scores.

It is a quick one click synopsis of every team's picks.

Old 04-29-2018, 06:31 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Draft rated here by Pro Football Focus.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...l-draft-grades
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-all-32-nfl-teams-2018-nfl-draft-grades

Now, for sure, the draft can't be truly graded for several years but PFF went out on a limb and put grades on each team's draft. For the record I don't really agree with some of these early assessments but it was interesting click bait. Cows, GB, NYJ scored the only elite scores.

It is a quick one click synopsis of every team's picks.
I dont agree either but I have long been against banking on the media's picks. The most successful team in every years draft year in and year out goes deep and never gets respect from the press critics but then steps into th Main Event year after year. That would be the evil Patriorts, where the coach, unlike the sportscasters, actually knows the game in depth.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:09 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
My grade: B-

https://twitter.com/dallascowboys/st...101391878?s=19

Old 04-30-2018, 03:56 PM

10 posts, read 9,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dont think so, dez hasnt been doing much the last few seasons. as for witten the cowboys have been grooming a couple of players to replace him. which one steps up and takes the job remains to be seen.

remember when novacek retired, there was consternation that witten wasnt up to replacing him, and that the cowboys needed to get another tight end. well witten has shown he was quite capable of replacing novacek, and i think gathers can replace witten.

and there are still some good tight ends in the draft, and the cowboys might snag one of them. we shall see.
not really sure the connection between Novacek and Witten........Witten was EIGHT years after Novacek last year with the Cowboys.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:28 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Reports make it look like Witten is retiring to work on MNF. Going to miss him but he's slipped quite a bit the past couple of years and isn't really much of a factor in the passing game other than blocking. Guess they better look at drafting his replacement.
I am late with this, but just wanted to acknowledge Witten's retirement. He was a solid professional, and a better person. Even though I am an Eagles' fan - I want to give him credit for a good career, and for sticking it out with his team through the good and bad.

Am I the only one who has said anything positive on Witten? Have the Cowboy fans here just moved on to the next shiny object?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzls47gu3So

Old 05-05-2018, 05:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Am I the only one who has said anything positive on Witten? Have the Cowboy fans here just moved on to the next shiny object?
hey i think witten is one of the best tight ends ever. but since he is retiring its time to move on and look for the next novacek/witten for the cowboys.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
hey i think witten is one of the best tight ends ever. but since he is retiring its time to move on and look for the next novacek/witten for the cowboys.
I'll take that as a yes to my question.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
when hav ei ever said ANYTHING negative about witten? please show me.
Nobody has claimed that anybody said anything negative about Witten.

I was just surprised that there was basically no appreciation for a guy who played for 15 years and only missed one game, and was among the best at his position for a good portion of his career.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:32 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,635,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am late with this, but just wanted to acknowledge Witten's retirement. He was a solid professional, and a better person. Even though I am an Eagles' fan - I want to give him credit for a good career, and for sticking it out with his team through the good and bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzls47gu3So
Sorry for the late response ... I'm don't frequent CD anymore.

Let me weigh in on this as a 50+ year Cowboy fan.

First about Witt . . . I look at him as one of the greatest Cowboys ever. His numbers are great although his athletic ability had diminished the last few years (leading to many so-called Cow fans to call for him to retire). I wish he would have had a farewell season tour. Let's face it, he was voted to the Pro-Bowl by his peers last year albeit as an alternate. He still had gas in the tank.

To tie into my first statement about Witt's greatness as a Cowboy I'll put him up there with the most beloved of players in Cowboy stature. In no particular order: Bob Lilly, Roger Staubach, Emmitt Smith, and Jason Witten. All greatest of players and most outstanding men of character. Tom Landry would have been proud to have coached him !

I'll definitely miss you #82 !!!!!!

side note: Again, I would have posted a tribute to Jason Witten earlier. You can find me posting Cowboy stuff at the "Cowboyszone"

Being an Eagles fan DRob I'm sure you remember this play. Broke Witt's jaw (uncalled crown of the helmet to the head hit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football