Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 07:30 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,475 times

Advertisements

It was a really short-sighted move by Jerry Jones. That 1st round pick is probably going to end up being a top 15 pick, unless the Cowboys get on a winning streak in the 2nd half of the season. The Cowboys will basically have 1.5 years of control of Cooper before they will have to make a decision on what to do with him (re-sign him or let him walk).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 09:51 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,636,125 times
The Cooper move will come back and bite the team's personnel potential in the proverbial butt. Just stupid for a team to give up it's first round pick on a so-so receiver that has been hurt a lot the last 2 years. Like JArdine said above he's just going to be around for 1.5 years unless he signs on the cheap.

This team prides itself on building through the draft and just gave away the 2019 cornerstone. The raiders are giggling all the way to the bank (draft).

A receiver will not make Dak better either. Let me repost this link and another to point out the HUGE weakness in this offense in a league that IS A PASSING LEAGUE !!!! :

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...ville-jaguars/

Surly Troy Aikman has some insight! (No need to follow the link as I posted the meat of his quote)

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...219723580.html

"He needs to be more accurate with the football,” Aikman said on 1310 AM The Ticket Tuesday morning. “I’ve said for many, many years, as long as I can ever remember, when I’m asked, ‘Hey, what do you look for first in a quarterback?’ The first thing I look for is accuracy because the rest of it doesn’t matter.

It doesn’t matter how tough you are. It doesn’t matter how smart you are or what a great leader you are. None of that stuff matters if you can’t put the ball where you have to put it. I’ve seen too many errant throws in that regard, and then there needs to be a little more anticipation.

“When there’s two deep safeties, you’re looking for somebody to take the middle of the field, and that should be your first read if you have somebody who is taking the middle of the field versus those kinds of looks. I don’t see great anticipation on what a defense is doing and how might I be able to exploit that pre-snap or as the ball is snapped.”

I was sold on Dak in 2016 but the OL was optimal and defenses hadn't learned to put 8-9 in the box and dare Dak to beat them. The Vikes did (we barely won) and NYG did twice which we lost. Any team with a good D and decent/good offense will beat Dallas. Jacksonville's Bortles is as bad as Dak and they had no run game. Detroit has a bad D. NYG are just a bad team. These are the Dallas wins. Cam beat us with his feet and a Good D. Houston beat us with D. Watson passing for 400 yards and sacking/harrasing a confused Prescott while Zeke was stuffed. Same with Washington and to a lesser extent Seattle ... stop Zeke and Dak doesn't have the QB skills to beat you ... this started in the 2nd half of the 2017 season. And coaching does nothing to make the opposing D pay for stacking the box and Dak can't audible to the open area off the boxed defender backs. This team is screwed and it will continue all year. This team will be lucky to have (another) 8-8 season.

As a 52 year fan of this team I'm pissed at the mediocrity / poor quality of play.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:55 AM

I've taken the star studded blue sun glasses off .

Tried to rep you VABlkCONSERV up above but alas I must spread the respect before I can rep you again.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:00 AM

796 posts, read 505,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
The Cooper move will come back and bite the team's personnel potential in the proverbial butt. Just stupid for a team to give up it's first round pick on a so-so receiver that has been hurt a lot the last 2 years. Like JArdine said above he's just going to be around for 1.5 years unless he signs on the cheap.

This team prides itself on building through the draft and just gave away the 2019 cornerstone. The raiders are giggling all the way to the bank (draft).

A receiver will not make Dak better either. Let me repost this link and another to point out the HUGE weakness in this offense in a league that IS A PASSING LEAGUE !!!! :

Surly Troy Aikman has some insight! (No need to follow the link as I posted the meat of his quote)

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...219723580.html

"He needs to be more accurate with the football,” Aikman said on 1310 AM The Ticket Tuesday morning. “I’ve said for many, many years, as long as I can ever remember, when I’m asked, ‘Hey, what do you look for first in a quarterback?’ The first thing I look for is accuracy because the rest of it doesn’t matter.

It doesn’t matter how tough you are. It doesn’t matter how smart you are or what a great leader you are. None of that stuff matters if you can’t put the ball where you have to put it. I’ve seen too many errant throws in that regard, and then there needs to be a little more anticipation.

“When there’s two deep safeties, you’re looking for somebody to take the middle of the field, and that should be your first read if you have somebody who is taking the middle of the field versus those kinds of looks. I don’t see great anticipation on what a defense is doing and how might I be able to exploit that pre-snap or as the ball is snapped.”

I was sold on Dak in 2016 but the OL was optimal and defenses hadn't learned to put 8-9 in the box and dare Dak to beat them. The Vikes did (we barely won) and NYG did twice which we lost. Any team with a good D and decent/good offense will beat Dallas. Jacksonville's Bortles is as bad as Dak and they had no run game. Detroit has a bad D. NYG are just a bad team. These are the Dallas wins. Cam beat us with his feet and a Good D. Houston beat us with D. Watson passing for 400 yards and sacking/harrasing a confused Prescott while Zeke was stuffed. Same with Washington and to a lesser extent Seattle ... stop Zeke and Dak doesn't have the QB skills to beat you ... this started in the 2nd half of the 2017 season. And coaching does nothing to make the opposing D pay for stacking the box and Dak can't audible to the open area off the boxed defender backs. This team is screwed and it will continue all year. This team will be lucky to have (another) 8-8 season.

As a 52 year fan of this team I'm pissed at the mediocrity / poor quality of play.
Agree and I tried to rep u as well Bob Rex. Good points and analysis of Boys W's and L's. One thing about that Seahawks game, Boys O was very anemic and the D had some blown safety coverage I believe which led to Wilson's TDs. That may been the worst preformance that the Boys improved D had this year. Other than that game, the Boys D played well enough to win...oh and maybe having a QB spy in that Carolina game to prefent Cam from running that TD and running so much on them. D is much improved and not the main liability this year as they have been the past years.

As a Cowboys fan, I'm just not used to seeing such a slow, struggling and anemic offense, just too predictable as well. Usually the O leads the team. Yes defense wins championships but with this offense friendly and passing league, u gotta have an at least decent offense and passing game to win. They need to get it together.

Oh and if Dak doesn't work out or is determined as better suited as a back up, they need to save that 2020 1st rounder and do what's needed to get Tua from Bama, Haskins from Ohio, maybe that Notre Dame QB Ian Brooks, Trevor Lawrence from Clemson (if he keeps playing well) or whoever is promising and would be a good fit for Boys.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:51 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
If I were a Cowboys fan, I would not like this trade. Giving up a first round pick for Cooper is a bad deal for Dallas and a great deal for Oakland. If it was a 4th or a 5th that would be one thing. But to give up a first pick for a guy like Cooper is a foolish move.

I agree that the deal is a bit much on the surface... BUT both Washington and Philly were as high as a 2nd round offer. So the deal was about blocking those teams as well as getting ourselves better. Given that knowledge I believe the first rounder was warranted. At the end of the day we are better than we were on Monday and the Redskins/Eagles are not.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Agree and I tried to rep u as well Bob Rex. Good points and analysis of Boys W's and L's. One thing about that Seahawks game, Boys O was very anemic and the D had some blown safety coverage I believe which led to Wilson's TDs. That may been the worst preformance that the Boys improved D had this year. Other than that game, the Boys D played well enough to win...oh and maybe having a QB spy in that Carolina game to prefent Cam from running that TD and running so much on them. D is much improved and not the main liability this year as they have been the past years.

As a Cowboys fan, I'm just not used to seeing such a slow, struggling and anemic offense, just too predictable as well. Usually the O leads the team. Yes defense wins championships but with this offense friendly and passing league, u gotta have an at least decent offense and passing game to win. They need to get it together.

Oh and if Dak doesn't work out or is determined as better suited as a back up, they need to save that 2020 1st rounder and do what's needed to get Tua from Bama, Haskins from Ohio, maybe that Notre Dame QB Ian Brooks, Trevor Lawrence from Clemson (if he keeps playing well) or whoever is promising and would be a good fit for Boys.
Thanks man, good points.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:59 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
I'm going to address points as you made them in your post while adding a few of my own.

Oh please rbohm (that condescending tone is sooo sucky isn't it, so I might just continue with it since you seem to think that is a good communicating technique.), these may be tired arguments to you and if so you might open your eyes and smell the roses. These are conclusions I have arrived at watching this team closely

Don't lump me in with "Cowboy fans hating the current QB" ... blanket statements like this are weak, very weak. I don't like underperforming and Prescott does that . I have just recently had my eyes opened to Prescott's deficiencies at playing NFL QB. I layed the team's underperformance last year off to current and recent listed excuses. Like: poor receiver route running, injuries on the OL, poor offensive scheming ... blah, blah, blah !

Stat? Stop looking at stats? Are you serious? (despite the fact I stated at the end of my post that I was NOT a stat guru). Are you saying Bullet Bob Hays wasn't the fastest man in the world at one time? Because the "stat" says he was. Stats are how performance is measured. And yes I believe in intangibles and I think Dak has some great ones ... he's tough and he's a leader but those intangibles are not translating into points, nor winning, and the last time I checked the rules of American Football a team must outscore their opponent to win ... we (the Cowboys) are 3-4. Our offense sucks badly and even Stevie Wonder can see that.

I understand team concept as well as any ... it's why my old HS football team beat bigger schools, more talented teams, and played an excellent brand of football! Team concept overcomes deficiencies. I got it.

Again point by point.

I've been a Cowboy fan for a long time ... longer than you in fact ... since 1966. I didn't like Craig Morton either and was right about that too ... the SB against Denver proved me right then too. I've seen a lot of coaches and QB's come and go ... mostly under the current management which bears most, if not all, of the responsibility for the last 20+ years of poor teams, revolving door coaches, multiple no-talent QB's (I liked Romo and considered him a championship caliber QB). Garrett is the head coach and has veto power anytime he feels there is no flow in offensive play calling or the play called. His clock management and tactical planning sucks ... Stevie Wonder sees it but obviously you don't.

So, do you honestly think Garrett is the man to take this team to a SB ... and Prescott at QB too?????

I'm looking at the rest of the team ... wait a minute ... NFL.com is reporting a trade .........

Oh hale naw ... just traded our 1st rounder for Amari Cooper ... seeing it now on the NFL Channel. Horrible move ... horrible !!!!!!!!

... back to my response. There were 4 drops in the Wash. game. That's not terrible but Dak throws a difficult to catch ball. I will not back off of my claim this team underperforms and the QB underperforms. Management underperforms too.
Agreed. Agreed. AGREED!!

Dak is somehow absolve from any wrong doing. Yes, his coach is horrible. Yes, his coordinator is horrible. Yes, his QB coach is horrible. Yes, his general manager is mediocre. But on the field, while he hasn't gotten help from some receivers, he hasn't helped the receivers as well. Many of those passes that were dropped were horrible passes that fluttered to them. My problems with Dak is that he has not progressed from what we saw in 2016. He still has happy feet, he still can't anticipate throws, he still is inaccurate, he still can't see the field, he still stares down receives, he still has average at best pocket presence. Something has to change. Either they a) getting better rapidly this season or b) one of Garrett or Prescott has to go. You cannot keep both. If you do, we are wasting our time because Dallas will never win a superbowl with these two leading the team.

But the moment people point this out about Dak, people get upset. He has flaws. Flaws that I have not seen him improve on and if he doesn't improve on it, he should not get a contract with Dallas. If he does get one and the concerns I just listed are still apparent, this franchise will be set back at least 5-7 years and more players in their primes (including our new receiver) will have gone to waste.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:07 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:

Perfectly stated. Could not have said it any better. I have no clue why Jax played Dallas the way they did. Make Dak beat you. Instead, they played in Zone the entire time and didn't dare Dak to beat them. I knew Washington would play them differently and they did. Dak should have made them pay for disrespecting him. But his issues were magnified in that game once again. Glad you brought up 2016 Minnesota and NYG game. That was blueprint against Dak the entire time. It took until Zeke getting suspended until the rest of the NFL took notice. The results, Dallas is 7-8 in the last 15 games.

The Tennessee game is colossal game. If they somehow lose that game and fall to 3-5, certain seats should be as hot as magma because the next game, they go to Philadelphia. Seeing how this team can't score 20 points on the road, 3-6 is quite probably if they lose the week prior.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:25 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
oh great here we go again. dak sucks because some fan said so. well remember that romo sucked because some fan said so, and when dak took over suddenly it was lets bring romo back.

stop looking for the next troy aikeman or roger staughbach in every dallas QB. you "fans" want roger or troy back, but realize that we arent getting them back as they have retired. dak is a fine QB as was romo before him.

the problem with the offense isnt the QB, its the lack of creativity of the play calling. its generally two runs and a short pass, and then punt. the offense doesnt use the players they have like they should. for instance the receivers. we have gallup, austin, and beasly. and beasly is getting the most targets. gallup and austin are speedsters, but do they get targets? not really.

and every time austin was put in the backfield with elliot, the defenses didnt have a clue as to what to do.

and then we come to the tight ends, swaim and gathers, and jarvin. they are good tight ends, but lacking a bit in experience, but do we use them much in the passing game? not really, and that is also a problem.

so stop saying this player or that coach sucks, because it is a whole problem that needs to be dealt with. the payers are fine, the coaches are fine, the lack of creativity is what is holding the team back.

and one more thing, we cannot continue to have the offense have three and outs regularly, especially late in the game, and rely on the defense to carry the day.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:26 PM

You made a decent point rbohm . . . but stopped short of drawing the conclusion .

I totally agree the offense is predictable and plain vanilla ("lack of creativity"). But whose fault is that? It's the coach's. It's his offense, he devises the schemes, He has play calling power. There's the cause of the three and outs you're lamenting. This is all connected. Still think it's not the coach ... well, who's to blame if not coaching????

Beasley is getting targets vs the others because Dak looks for him almost every pass play. More predictability which reflects on the QB not trusting his personnel ... that's on the QB. A weakness ! (The team went with no dedicated #1 WR as a weapon. But Dak is not following through (to spread the ball around) so an already weak passing game is weakened more. Gotta stick with the design of the offense .

Tight end situation is just mediocre at best and the group we have now has no future star in it. It would be OK if there weren't other offensive woes (OL underperforming, WR dilemma, lack of imagination with play calling, and of course a QB that can't threaten the defense consistently) .

So the problem with the offense is almost everything. I'm going to repeat this ... again ... this is a passing league. The NFL has set up the rules to help the passing game. Our QB can't win games with his arm. The offense is handicapped until we have that guy. Watching DeShaun Watson should open anyone's eyes to this ... he can flat out take over a game with his arm. Imagine if we had that + Zeke.

These claims about Troy and Roger have some validity. I don't want them back and Roger is over 70 years old and yes he's retired(from football) as is Troy who is chasing 50. I don't want them back, it is clear they are gone so I don't desire the impossible. And I never griped about Tony either. Tony screwed up a lot, especially early on in his starting career ... but he was exciting. He pushed the ball. He, like Roger and Troy had an accurate ball and a downfield game. But, they're are all gone ... as you know. Now I'm watching our new QB and I see a lack of talent. I see really bad mechanics frequently. See him throwing off his back foot a dozen times a game. He's been coached on mechanics and still doing this stuff which is much of his accuracy problems. Roger, Troy, Tony, and even Danny White spoiled me so I watch QB play with a critical eye. Dak is closer to Quincy Carter (talent wise) than to these guys.

Now you, rbohn , can put "fan" in quotations if you want ... it only reflects on you. I am a Cowboy fan. Just as much as you. I voice an opinion only. But my eyes are wide open.

I want to point out too I think Rod Marinelli is an excellent defensive coordinator and excels at Dline coaching. He is not the problem, especially with Kris Richard as his right hand man.

Some good reading for "fans" : https://www.cover1.net/9-interesting...wboys-offense/

Last edited by BobTex; 10-27-2018 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football